weekly dmb's 52 of 2017 ( Wk 52 - Weather) - Made it to end :-)

Yum! I do like edible props. Good take on the theme David - love the DoF and colour .... especially like the sugar sprinklings.

Very warming shot that makes me think about how nice it must taste! Nice composition and colours, I like it.

Really like this, like the composition and the DOF and the pie looks delicious with the sprinkle of sugar:)

Looks good, I might have gone for a bit more DoF on the pie itself

Beautiful looking equipment there in Song Title.

Love the general colour, set-up and DoF in Order, but think the focal point could be a bit sharper. o_O

Last edited:
Good piece of food photography, great colour, good DoF, but I agree with the comments above that the pie could be a bit more in focus.

Week 1 that looks like it was very yummy, I do like a bit of apple pie......... as for the image it's nicely composed and and the composition is great my only very little niggle is i would like a tiny bit more space at the bottom of the image, so that the bottom of the dish is not clipped.

Thanks all for the comments so far. Some points to think about.

Week 2 - Comfort

Troost (Comfort in Dutch) by David M Bloor, on Flickr

Unearthed my old meerschaum pipe and an empty pack of what I used to smoke in it years ago. Troost is the Dutch word for comfort or consolation and legend had it that Van Rossem used to comfort prisoners in the stocks with a draw on his pipe.

Last edited:
I like that pipe of yours David ... a work of art with it's textures and patterns. Like the story behind the image too ... are you trying to edumocate us ha ha ?

Just done some rough reshoots of 'Comfort' with different backgrounds - think I'm tending towards something plain and lighter with a nice small surface texture rather than the dark grey fleece I used ( @susiejb - I'd better use some Comfort on my fleece if it looks like leather;) ).

20170118_x5 by David M Bloor, on Flickr

Original for me, I like the black surface. Slightly underexposed and I'd prefer the lighter not to be in the composition.

That said, I like the back story.

Cheers.

Yep, black surface for me too. Agree on the lighter as well. Only way I'd prefer it is perhaps if it was lit, but that's another ball game entirely.

Interesting pipe, interesting baccy pack, lighter looks a bit odd on the corner like that, first BG is OK with me but I'd crop some off the top. (y)

Week 3 - Hairy

Human Hair - forcibly removed by David M Bloor, on Flickr

Hair and root donated by daughter. Mounted in mineral oil, crossed polariser illumination (gives the colours), 40x 0.75NA (that's f/0.67 ish) Vickers objective and 1.6 second exposure

Last edited:
Wow. Clever stuff indeed and no doubt an original submission. Interesting colours through it too. Well done :)

Comfort - I would never have guessed the background is a fleece!!!
I like the composition, and the plain background works better than the busier ones.
I would probably have tried to bring the exposure up a bit as you lose some detail in the shadows, and the textures in the pipe are lovely.

Hairy - Well, I doubt we'll get anything similar to this posted this week!
Reminds me of experiments with my microscope when I was a kid. (y)

Amazing detail and colour David ... looks like the pointed foot of a ballerina. Even with the explanation, I haven't a clue how you managed that but I applaud the experimentation.

Great detail and colours, definitely won't see another like this this week.(y)

Definitely won't see another like that this week. Great idea and taking macro to the limit.

It actually looks like a splinter split in half. Well done (y)

You submission for hairy is quite different, great colours and above all great idea!

I like the dark back ground but the lighter does get a little lost. Nice story too :)

Thanks for the comments on Hairy folks. One problem, to pull the kit together to do that shot, the other half now knows I have at least 3 microscopes as well as my cameras.

Back