weekly Donnie's 52 4 2022 - Week 14 - Unusual ADDED

Heavy: I like the contrast between the natural world and the heavy machinery. It works well in mono and IR.

Alley: More than a snap I think. You've lined it up nicely and I like that there is something to look at, at the end of the alleyway. It could have fit last weeks theme damp and the reflections tech too! Better go back and shoot it again :)

Hmmm yes might have to put that one in my back pocket, on saying that Im still lagging behind in themes, while Im not pressuring myself there's a bit of me wants to do them in order for fear of putting other shots off and then not completing the whole 52 :-/

I like how it seems to be peaking out from behind the post(?).

Thanks, I was aiming for a sort of symmetry in the shot using the upright as a "split" (y)
It is very heavy, I like the rust? around the bolts and holes. Did the IR do anything to the pipe work, I can see the effect on the foliage.
Not much on the pipework itself as ironically it was all painted red which doesn't show well in the IR 720 spectrum anyway lol.

Week 8 - Light (I'm slowly catching up!)

Week 8 - Light by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

Week 8 is Light and I'm pretty sure this hits the theme, both that it has several lights / lightbulbs (albeit some will call this a lamp). To be honest this was pretty much a stumble shot, as in I stumbled upon it and thought that using the string of lights leading from the bottom left to the top right brings you through the whole frame with a simple background with sparse cloud. It certainly put me in a good mood for the day.

Processing wise, imported into lightroom just for lens correction and a slight crop to ensure the upright wasn't leaning and that the string of lights exited right in the corner, then exported to Nik Collection Colour efex for a filter to desaturate the blue sky a little and make the cloud pop a little better. Then saved as a jpg and uploaded, done :)

Lamp is such a nicer word than light :)
Spot on theme, stumbled upon or not Paul. Works well and a nice clean image.

Catching up, catching up........

Week 9 - Damp.

Week 9 - Damp by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

Week 9 is Damp and I think this pretty much sums up that title. This was at Narin Beach in Donegal, Ireland on the Easter Bank Holiday and they loved the water!

Week 10 - (Through a) Window

Week 10 - Through a Window by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

Week 10 is (Through a) Window and this was the view we had on our motorhome holiday last week in Ireland. Here we woke up to a view looking over Lough Conn toward Nephin Mor mountain.

Damp is brilliant! Great shot. Through a window makes me want to be there. Nice one Paul! (y)

Well bugger me if Through a Window didn't make Explore on Flickr :eek::eek::eek:

Anyway, another photo to keep up my motivation!

Week 11. -Technology.

This is a shot of an 8gb memory stick for my old Macbook Pro which was brand new in 2012 and did me proud for nearly a full decade. I did upgrade the ram to 16gb, popped in a 500gb ssd to extend it's life and it finally died when the battery became swollen and cracked the trackpad! So, salvaging the ram and the photo is it on the new macbook air :) Seems fitting.

Processing wise it's heavily vignetted and a filter applied in colour efex from the nik collection to deepen the colour and grain of the wood.

Week 11 - Technology by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

Love your damp shot. Liking the reflections and your dogs with three different poses - and photographed in a scenic spot.

Through the window - Congratulations on your Explore. Well deserved. A great view and you've given context.

Technology - the heavy vignette works well and I like the contrast of the rich wooden tones against the almost monochrome Mac and memory.

Love this shot Paul (even though I hate the evil empire of Apple...)

Week 12 - Abandoned / Discarded

Really struggled with this one, plus work just keeps getting in the way :-/
Anyway decided finally to go with my Lambretta sitting abandoned in the back garden.
Shot using a 720nm Infrared filter and processed in Lightroom and Silver Efex Nik Collection.

Week 12 - Abandoned by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

Last edited:
That works well for the theme especially with the processing you've applied Paul.

You may have struggled Paul, but one wouldn't know it from this shot. Really well done and the processing is spot on.

Week 13 - Flora

Bit of a macro snap, no editing, just import into lightroom and output to jpg. This is really just a filler shot, using it to get onto the next and try not to lose impetus.

Week 13 - Flora by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

Last edited:
Thank god I can move on from the previous shot!

Anyway Unusual!

Week 14 - Unusual by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

Week 14's theme is Unusual and I was struggling with this and probably overthinking it to be honest.
So this morning I happened to be near to the famed Cardington Hangars where the ill fated R101 was built in 1929.
As for the theme of unusual, it's met (in my mind) by being an unusual pair of buildings from wartime but also that I had unusual access. I was able today to walk almost right up to them due to a new housing area on the land nearby.
Processing was importing into lightroom, lifting the shadows, export to Nik Collections Silver Efex as black and white really suits these industrial type shots I feel. I hope you like.

Two interesting shots Paul, even is one of them is "just a filler". I'm wondering if the sun was behind the buildings or the halo was an artifact from your processing?

Cheers (y)
On the filler it made explore for some reason, really shouldn't as far as Im concerned but there you go, maybe thats AI for you lol.
But yes, sun was right behind the hangar, I had to step into it's shadow or I'd have been shooting directly into the sun.

Very nice unusual shot Paul. The processing works really well.
I love that there are a few wisps of cloud in the sky and the viewpoint makes them look imposing.

I like the framing of the flora shot and colours. Flora seems a long time ago now, I'd forgotten we'd had that theme :ROFLMAO:
On my first 52 I was always behind because I'd spend too long trying to get a shot I liked. I've lowered my standards now ha ha!

Back