weekly Drodd's Photo52 for 2011 - Week 51, 52 and bonus: Light, Glass, Nature (post 1545)

Heyho .... we are almost finished ......

OMG this has been such a challenge and I can't remember ever taking on such a project in all my life (not even when I was at school ..... so that is saying something because I was quite the studious student!)

Needless to say it has been a very enjoyable learning experience and I have made some fantastic friends along the way ;)

When the theme of 'weather' came up .... I was praying and hoping for some snow ..... purely because it is the one type of weather condition that I haven't had much exposure to .... having lived in South Africa most of my life. So when the flakes descend, I am in my element :D ..... :wacky: I know!

Thankfully, this week has presented many opportunities for me .... to such a degree that I couldn't make my mind up which to post (and even though I had a particular idea in mind ..... which I couldn't pull off because of time/weather etc) .... I settled with these:

1. 16th December 2011 at 1:03pm GMT

6527745379_5170542505_b.jpg

[/url] Winter Woodland (9715-9) by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

I was in my utmost element .... large snow flakes .... it was great ..... I was running around sticking my tongue out to catch them :LOL:

2. 16th December 2011 at 3:47pm

6534039781_75d9c9b5f3_b.jpg

[/url] Warm Winter Woodland (9717-2) by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

OMG ..... what happened .... the snow disappeared, the sun came out and the woodlands was on fire! It was absolutely amazing to see ..... and all from the comfort of my front door. I am so fortunate to have such a fantastic view ... where I can experience and enjoy the passing of the seasons to such a degree.

Then .... following the recent snowfall .... I captured this shot tonight, which I really like (another view from my home):

6534041901_9193f2ebb0_b.jpg

[/url] Winter is upon us (9740) by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

I have really enjoyed this week, because it has involved a lot of excitement, timing and nature.

Which has fortunately played into my hands for the new theme .... which I will post shortly.

By now I am sure you know the drill ....... any c&c would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Dawn x

Hi, Dawn, saw these on Flickr and was waiting for them to be posted.

#1 all the way for me. You've got a really nice amount of snow falling and it's very well exposed. I do like the slither of grass at the bottom.

#2 is nice and rich. Looks a bit soft though :thinking:

#3, I wasn't sure on first viewing, the lover half looked a bit too blue for me, but I suspect that was your intention. Some nice warm colours in the sky to contrast the cccooolllddd ground.

I've got 11, yes 11 days off work. Christmas in Scotland..with my Christmas filters :D and family.

January on TP meet and February in Finland....I am sssooo giddy.

Cheers (y)

Hi Dawn,

Well done for being still here at week 50. I think we must be mad (me at least). :wacky: :LOL:

Weather 1; I like it on first impression but on closer look I thought ummm…. Was it snowing or was it photoshopped? To me there’s just not enough snow on the tree and on the ground to convince me that it was actually snowing, sorry Dawn. :|

Weather 2; I like the golden colour cast on the trees. That’s a typical view you (hoping to!) see when you look out of the window to check the weather.

Weather 3; nicely captured and you done well considered it’s not an easy scene to shoot due to the high contrast between the top and bottom. I think a graduated ND filter would help a lot here.

Hi, Dawn, saw these on Flickr and was waiting for them to be posted.

#1 all the way for me. You've got a really nice amount of snow falling and it's very well exposed. I do like the slither of grass at the bottom.

#2 is nice and rich. Looks a bit soft though :thinking:

#3, I wasn't sure on first viewing, the lover half looked a bit too blue for me, but I suspect that was your intention. Some nice warm colours in the sky to contrast the cccooolllddd ground.

I've got 11, yes 11 days off work. Christmas in Scotland..with my Christmas filters :D and family.

January on TP meet and February in Finland....I am sssooo giddy.

Cheers (y)

Hiya Andy

Thanks for the comments and feedback.

I had been hoping for snow, so when it started on Friday morning I was ready with camera and tripod set up in the entrance hall. At first it was only small flakes which didn't show up so well, but I waited patiently and as the day went on the flakes got bigger and bigger :D which was perfect to capture.

Unfortunately it didn't stick and no sooner landed on the ground and melted :crying: Hence why I posted the 2nd photo because it was so strange to have seen such heavy snowfall earlier in the day and then a few hours later it was brilliant sunshine and one would never had known it has snowed that day :nuts:

The 2nd shot might be a bit soft ... perhaps because of the light and I also took with photo handheld .... which at the moment is not easy for me to do as my hands shake quite a bit.

The 3rd shot was taken yesterday, late afternoon and was such a beautiful view. The snow does have a blue cast to it ..... but I think it contrasts well with the warmer coloured sky.

Enjoy your holiday and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year wishes to you and your family.

Look forward to seeing some of the pics you take of Scotland and also to the TP meet in Jan.

Take care

Cheers

Dawn :)

Hi Dawn,

Well done for being still here at week 50. I think we must be mad (me at least). :wacky: :LOL:

Weather 1; I like it on first impression but on closer look I thought ummm…. Was it snowing or was it photoshopped? To me there’s just not enough snow on the tree and on the ground to convince me that it was actually snowing, sorry Dawn. :|

Weather 2; I like the golden colour cast on the trees. That’s a typical view you (hoping to!) see when you look out of the window to check the weather.

Weather 3; nicely captured and you done well considered it’s not an easy scene to shoot due to the high contrast between the top and bottom. I think a graduated ND filter would help a lot here.

Hiya Stan,

Thanks for the comments and feedback. I agree .... I think we must be :wacky: :LOL:

The snow is real .... there is a similar photo on my Flickr page where I captured the snow even heavier, but didn't post same here because there is that much snow you can't really see the woodlands in the background.

The reason there is no snow on the ground and trees is because it melted as it landed .... snow doesn't always stick you know. Hence why I posted the 2nd shot which was taken a few hours later and one would have never known it had snowed earlier in the day. And yes .... the woodlands is the view I see, even now looking out of the lounge window. It is brilliant because I see how the seasons pass.

I quite like the contrast of colours in the 3rd shot. I don't have any ND filters ...... will add to my Chrimbo list (y)

Thanks again for the feedback and also for all the comments and support you have provided to my Photo52 over the year.

May you have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year ;)

Cheers

Dawn x

Number 1for me Dawn, a lovely wintery image. Also number 3 is a lovely view and I quite like it as well.

Hiya Michael,

Thank you for the kind comments. I'm pleased with how these turned out, especially #1 because it can be quite tricky trying to photograph snow falling.

Merry Christmas to you and your family and all the best for 2012.

Cheers

Love the contrast between #1 and #2 but prefer the image #2 best of all, lovely (y)

Hiya Tina,

Thanks babes for the comments and thanks too for all your support throughout this Photo52 .... you are a gem (y)

Merry Chrimbo to you and your family and may you all be blessed with happiness and prosperity in 2012.

Cheers

Hi Dawn,

I'm not sure about #1, a little too much snow for me, but it certainly hits the theme.

#2 looks great in that frame (could it be the first time I've liked one of your frames?), but it looks a little soft. I looked at it on flickr for a big image, but alas there isn't one!

#3 I want to like it I really do, but the blue snow is putting me off!

In conclusion, #3 for me, but a white snow version.

Hi Dawn,

I'm not sure about #1, a little too much snow for me, but it certainly hits the theme.

#2 looks great in that frame (could it be the first time I've liked one of your frames?), but it looks a little soft. I looked at it on flickr for a big image, but alas there isn't one!

#3 I want to like it I really do, but the blue snow is putting me off!

In conclusion, #3 for me, but a white snow version.

Hiya Neil,

OMG .... talk about being picky ....

#1 that is how much snow was falling at the time ...... love it or hate it :shrug:

:LOL: .... you actually approving one of my frames ... that is definitely a first :D. Now that I look at it again ..... it does look a little soft, but as I mentioned to Andy earlier ..... that could be due to me taking the shot handheld, and due to my illness, I have very unsteady hands of late and find I need to rely on the tripod more than I desire, but heyho .... I try.

As for your comment on #3 ...... oh come on! .... spice up your life a bit with some colour! Who says snow should be 'white'? Actually .... when you think of water .... what colour comes to mind? ;) And I think if you had to capture a snowflake on a microscope slide ..... you will soon identify that it is not pure 'white', but a culmination of colours :razz:

Merry Chrimbo xx

Cheers

.... when you think of water .... what colour comes to mind? ;)

Staying on the 'picky' bit....

Water is clear/ colourless, well it should be unless it's contaminated, and thus does it not take on the colour of it's environment through reflection?

I'm getting out of my depth here (no pun intended) as I'm getting in to science stuff!

Staying on the 'picky' bit....

Water is clear/ colourless, well it should be unless it's contaminated, and thus does it not take on the colour of it's environment through reflection?

I'm getting out of my depth here (no pun intended) as I'm getting in to science stuff!

Now, now Neil, don't get all scientific with me :bat: .... that could lead to a mass debate :p

Snowflakes accumulate and get packed together to form a solid and mobile layer of ice. Much of the air that was separating snowflakes is now squeezed out of the ice layer. As light enters a deep layer of ice, the light gets bent causing more and more of the red end of the spectrum to be absorbed. As more red wavelengths are absorbed, more blue wavelengths are available to reflect back to your eyes. Hence ... blue snow :D

Merry Chrimbo

Cheers

Hi ya....'pologies for taking so long to pop in....:crying:

Winter Woodland...love how you caught the snow falling...looks almost like blizzard conditions :) I kow the theme was weather & you caught it beautifully but for me ....I want to see something other than the trees in the background...does that make sense ? Something else as a focal point ? or maybe I'm just missing the point...wouldn't be the 1st time :LOL:

Warm Winter Woodland....beautiful colors....emanates warmth,almost seems to glow with it :clap: You've mentioned the slight softness so nuff said (y)

Winter is upon us....I'd kill to be able to see that landscape....we've not had any snow :crying: I love the sky colors but am torn over the blue snow.....you're right in that snow can take on a blue hue just seems a little OTT for me...but it's growing on me (y)

Just in case I don't get a chance.....just want to wish n Roo a VERY Happy Christmas , have a great time & enjoy yourselves & soooo looking forward to catching up with you ( & all the guys ) at our January meet (y)

Hi ya....'pologies for taking so long to pop in....:crying:

Winter Woodland...love how you caught the snow falling...looks almost like blizzard conditions :) I kow the theme was weather & you caught it beautifully but for me ....I want to see something other than the trees in the background...does that make sense ? Something else as a focal point ? or maybe I'm just missing the point...wouldn't be the 1st time :LOL:

Warm Winter Woodland....beautiful colors....emanates warmth,almost seems to glow with it :clap: You've mentioned the slight softness so nuff said (y)

Winter is upon us....I'd kill to be able to see that landscape....we've not had any snow :crying: I love the sky colors but am torn over the blue snow.....you're right in that snow can take on a blue hue just seems a little OTT for me...but it's growing on me (y)

Just in case I don't get a chance.....just want to wish n Roo a VERY Happy Christmas , have a great time & enjoy yourselves & soooo looking forward to catching up with you ( & all the guys ) at our January meet (y)

Hiya Lynne,

Thank you for the Christmas wishes and text message. I hope you have had a fantastic Chrimbo full of happiness and love.

Thanks too for the feedback on the last few pics. In #1 it was like blizzard conditions, the snow was falling heavily, but unfortunately the ground was too warm for it to stick. Hence why a couple of hours later I got shot #2.

The 3rd shot is pretty much how it was .... an absolutely gorgeous view and I couldn't believe how blue the snow looked .... either that or it was the vino playing tricks with my eyes :LOL:

I need to get the last few photos posted and then I am finished ..... just need to find some time between now and New Year to get them taken and uploaded.

Look forward to seeing you in January too .... it will be a blast.

Happy New Year babes.

Cheers

Hi Dawn
Well it's number 1 for me. I love seeing the snow fall. Unfortunately we haven't had any so far in Cardiff. Only hail stones.
Best wishes for 2012
Ceri

Hi Dawn
Well it's number 1 for me. I love seeing the snow fall. Unfortunately we haven't had any so far in Cardiff. Only hail stones.
Best wishes for 2012
Ceri

Hiya Ceri,

Thank you .... and especially for your continued support throughout this year, your comments an feedback have been much appreciated and a huge encouragement.

We too have not seen much snow fall in the North West for this time of year, so I am glad I managed to get these pics, because I am starting to doubt if we will see more this year ..... I think this is the warmest Christmas that I can recall (well besides all the hot summer Christmas' I spent in South Africa).

In some respects it has put a bit of a damper on my tog adventure, as this is the time I like to go for a walk in the crunchy snow and get some pics, but heyho ..... I guess there are pros and cons to the snow.

I trust you have had a festive and happy time this Christmas, and wish you and your family all the best for the New Year.

Luv

Dx

Yep this is my finale .... an all in one as I fear the powers that be are upon me, so I have to complete my project tonight.

It has been a triumph, to which I would not have been able to achieve same without the support and encouragement of my fellow team members .... in no particular order Fido18, Blondie606, TinaC, Mentalblock, posiview, Michael23, SamuelSlade007. Lisa, Joe, markelliot, kennysarmy, rpn, kevin obrian, Webby962 (a special thank you for your valued input and support), Just Dave and MWHCVT, even though not participating in the Photo52 .... still popped in now and agbain to provide critique (both absolute gems and a credit to TP), vince, ..MD..., and then stemming back to the way early days of the New Year, where I remember Barrysprout, Whitedeer, McNyat, Emily (Rob 80386), PatrickO, Sterling Archer, SarahLee, oh and David Gething (who had a brilliant example of a 52 ..... but I could never go into as much technical detail, but always learned much from him).

Taking on a Photo52 is a mammoth task ..... if you are not totally committed to same ...... you may find yourself very despondent/ and totally disappointed. Which is not a good feeling..... but then on the other hand you might find your 'niche' and venture off in that direction ..... which has happened with fellow 52'ers and they are now producing some fantastic prints.

And then there is always the feeling of 'achievement', when you actually complete the challenge with people who you have formed a united bond with through the year.

That is so precious!!!!!

To be able to celebrate same achievement and reflect on the project is an amazing experience. One which I can't wait to experience in January.

But I have had the honour of a mid challenge meet with absolutely amazing people, we had a great time, lots of laughs and loads of learning of new techniques.

OMG I can already feel the withdrawals of the next year :LOL:

Be warned though, from experience of my fellow team mates of 2011, this is not a challenge to take light hearted ..... it requires hard work, imagination and pushing/developing photography technique.

Good Luck,

Dxx

Last edited:
So I present my finale:

Week 51: Light

IMG_9762-46 by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr

Street lights, the light of dusk and a light dusting of snow.

Week 52: Glass

5419362096_fe81edddf7_b.jpg

[/url] (16/365) 16 Jan 2011 - Vase by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

Romanian glass vase.

Bonus: Nature

6061555707_095d4d11db_b.jpg

[/url] Fungi Montage - Nature in the element! by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

I have enjoyed fungi foraging this year and I don't recall posting photos of same in my Photo52 .... so I had to include this montage of fungi as the bonus.

Thank you to all for your support, encouragement, compliments, critique, advice and most of all fun throughout this challenge.

It has been hard work at times, however I have thoroughly enjoyed working on this project and one that I will look back on and pat myself on the back for the effort I put into same.

So this is farewell to 2011 ..... I just hope and pray 2012 is going to be a good one for all.

Happy New Year

Cheers

Dawn xxx

Last edited:
A great finale Dawn, loving the vase is excellent, really like that pic. The collection of mushrooms is really good too. A big well done on producing a super thread Dawn. You certainly have a great set of pics to remember this year by. Thank you so much for your support throughout this year, has been very much appreciated. Will be on the look out for your new projects for next year. All the best. (y)

Well done Dawn for finishing, and what a finish.
The last two shots are great.
Is there a Fungi thread on TP? You should start one!

Thanks for all your support and texts through the year, you've been a star.
I may not be doing a 52 next year, but that best not mean I hear the last of you.

Taking on a Photo52 is a mammoth task ..... if you are not totally committed to same ...... you may find yourself very despondent/ and totally disappointed. Which is not a good feeling..... but then on the other hand you might find your 'niche' and venture off in that direction ..... which has happened with fellow 52'ers and they are now producing some fantastic prints.

And then there is always the feeling of 'achievement', when you actually complete the challenge with people who you have formed a united bond with through the year.

That is so precious!!!!!

To be able to celebrate same achievement and reflect on the project is an amazing experience.

Bloody hell, we have really achieved something special, haven't we (y) Looking back, I always thought I'd finish and did, as did may (well not that many) of us!.

Your quote above should go on the first page of the 2012 52 thread as inspiration for others who try and emulate us.

Two cracking photographs to finish...very well done, dawn.

I'll see you in a few weeks...:nuts:(y)

Cheers.

dawn, well done on making it to the end. I seriously knew you would do it. Always had faith even in your low times, like probably most of us had. You demonstrate a liking for fungi and here your nature shot really brings that out.

(y)

Hi ya Hun......well it's been an emotional rollercoaster at times...but above all it's been fun fun fun :) Congrats on completeing your 52 challenge...never doubted you for a minute & for creating some stunning images along the way & a huge THANK YOU for all the support , advice ,encouragement & kicks to the derriere that you given me along the way (y) Gonna miss you next year babes :crying:

Light...love the colors in this image & bang on theme (y)

Glass...love the vase but not too keen on the processing of this one I'm afraid...sorry :crying:

Fungi...oh yes...brilliant montage & selection of imgaes ffrom what I suspect is one of your more favorite types of togging ( having witnessed you totally engrossed at the the last meet getting shots of these little guys ) .Nice n subtle on the framing ,like the signature & each shot stands on it's own merits :clap::clap:

As Andy said....we have really achieved something special here , each of us has learnt something , wev'e all had fun (for the most part anyway) & made some good friends along the way . The 52 project was never gonna be easy so I think we all deserve a huge pat on the back....& maybe raise a glass to each other at the January meet ....it's been brill hun, good luck with your projects next year & after , have a fab New Year & see you soon

Lynne x

A great finale Dawn, loving the vase is excellent, really like that pic. The collection of mushrooms is really good too. A big well done on producing a super thread Dawn. You certainly have a great set of pics to remember this year by. Thank you so much for your support throughout this year, has been very much appreciated. Will be on the look out for your new projects for next year. All the best. (y)

Thank you Michael, and good luck with your Photo52 2012, I will pop past to view your progress and comment same.

Well done Dawn for finishing, and what a finish.
The last two shots are great.
Is there a Fungi thread on TP? You should start one!

Thanks for all your support and texts through the year, you've been a star.
I may not be doing a 52 next year, but that best not mean I hear the last of you.

Thank you Neil, I'm quite happy with the finale. There is a fungi thread on TP where I have posted some photos previously, which actually I should visit again some time to add more. But as you know this year has pretty much been focused on the Photo52 and as much as I am tempted to join the next one, I feel I need to focus my attention on something more specific in my photography.

Oh and believe me .... you have not heard to last of me ;) Keep in contact and any time you fancy a togging day out, let me know and I am sure a few of us ooop Norf can find a location to shoot.

Bloody hell, we have really achieved something special, haven't we (y) Looking back, I always thought I'd finish and did, as did may (well not that many) of us!.

Your quote above should go on the first page of the 2012 52 thread as inspiration for others who try and emulate us.

Two cracking photographs to finish...very well done, dawn.

I'll see you in a few weeks...:nuts:(y)

Cheers.

Indeed Andy, we have achieved something special and you know the best thing is the sense of achievement and having met great peeps along the way.

Thanks for the comment about the quote, I might just add it there to hopefully inspire and encourage those partaking in the 2012 challenge.

I'm glad you like the last photos, and yes indeed will see you in a few weeks, it is going to be great fun.

dawn, well done on making it to the end. I seriously knew you would do it. Always had faith even in your low times, like probably most of us had. You demonstrate a liking for fungi and here your nature shot really brings that out.

(y)

Thanks Kev, and yes I have had to battle through some of the weeks when I was a rock bottom, but heyho .... just goes to show.... with a bit of will power one can pull through.

As you know from the last meet, I am fungi mad :D, and yes I do love these little creatures of nature.

Thanks again to all you chaps, you have been amazing Photo52 2011 team members.

Happy New Year!

Cheers

Dawn x

Hi ya Hun......well it's been an emotional rollercoaster at times...but above all it's been fun fun fun :) Congrats on completeing your 52 challenge...never doubted you for a minute & for creating some stunning images along the way & a huge THANK YOU for all the support , advice ,encouragement & kicks to the derriere that you given me along the way (y) Gonna miss you next year babes

Light...love the colors in this image & bang on theme

Glass...love the vase but not too keen on the processing of this one I'm afraid...sorry

Fungi...oh yes...brilliant montage & selection of imgaes ffrom what I suspect is one of your more favorite types of togging ( having witnessed you totally engrossed at the the last meet getting shots of these little guys ) .Nice n subtle on the framing ,like the signature & each shot stands on it's own merits :clap:

As Andy said....we have really achieved something special here , each of us has learnt something , wev'e all had fun (for the most part anyway) & made some good friends along the way . The 52 project was never gonna be easy so I think we all deserve a huge pat on the back....& maybe raise a glass to each other at the January meet ....it's been brill hun, good luck with your projects next year & after , have a fab New Year & see you soon

Lynne x

Hiya Lynne,

I'll definitely second that ... it has been a roller-coaster ride, full of fun, thrills, excitement, emotion, banter, smiles, winks, grins, cheek, indifference, tears, frowns, lots of laughter, love, razz, EEK's, shaking heads, gags, thinking, :nono:, cuckoo thoughts and ideas, nuts, :naughty:, suspect (especially Kev lol), help, encouragement, support, congrats, (y), :thumbsdown:, head banging, waves, :bonk:, :beer:, and cheer.

But most of all, the friendships forged and the amount of knowledge and skill in photography we have all derived from same :)

Thanks for the congrats and final c&c on my photos. I guess the glass one may not be to everyone's taste, but I like it :D

Glad you like the fungi montage .... and we will defo have to make a plan to meet up, come the next fungi season ..... I'll keep you posted to same.

As you say .... we all deserve a pat on the back for completing and indeed we will cheers with a drink in Jan.

You are fantastic babes, and we definitely need to keep in contact. See you in a few weeks.

Happy New Year to you and yours too.

Luv

Dawn x

Wow three great photographs to cap your 52!!!!

Great work and congratulations....

Thank you Jeff, it has been a pleasure having your on our team this year.

Happy New Year!

Cheers

Well done and congrats on finshing the challenge Dawn. :clap: :clap: :clap:

What a brilliant last few shots to complete the project. (y)

Hiya Stan,

Thank you for the kind comments and also for your continued support throughout the year.

All the best for 2012.

Cheers

Congrats Dawn on your fab achievement I loved looking at your take on the themes which have always surprised me at your creativity, and I love the fungi collage, I remember your first fungi and bee fly shots we did together way back, light was carp but we had fun at the weir, scrambling down and back up at the banking HE HE,

So heres a massive :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Well done (y)

Last edited:
Congrats Dawn on your fab achievement I loved looking at your take on the themes which have always surprised me at your creativity, and I love the fungi collage, I remember your first fungi and bee fly shots we did together way back, light was carp but we had fun at the weir, scrambling down and back up at the banking HE HE,

So heres a massive :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Well done (y)

Hiya Dave,

Thank you kindly for the congrats and kind words. It feels great to have completed the project and I have learned so much along the way.

I too remember the day we met at Yarrow Valley .... it was great fun hunting for the fungi and you were a great help too providing names of same, thank you.

You are a great friend Dave, thank you for your continued support, comments and critique. I look forward to catching up with you again in the New Year.

May 2012 be a happy and prosperous year for you and your family.

Cheers

Dawn x

Edit: I have just seen you have sneaked in a photo :LOL: OMG I look at the photo and realise how much weight I have lost since then :eek:

Last edited:
Dawn,

Many congrats on finishing this challenge. :clap:
I have enjoyed seeing your work develop and hopefully my comments and feedback have helped rather than hinder your project. :thinking:

Good luck with whatever challenges you undertake in 2012 (hopefully Off Camera Flash!) and it might help you reign in the Photoshop overload you sometimes resorted too LOL :nuts:

Adie

Back