weekly Elaine's 52 for 2015 - Christmas added - finished!

Cover; prefer #2 of the three. Not sure about #1 with the intentional placed leaf which I found a bit of a distraction. #3 looks busy with a lot going on although the stones are covered by moss.

Connected; Like your thoughts behind the shot its different but good concept and well captured. Love the processing effects of the first and again very different and unusual.
Thanks Stan. As I mentioned earlier, that leaf in Connected just happened to be there and when I saw the shot later, I wished I'd moved it because I also thought it looked as if I'd put it there on purpose :(

Yeah I'd agree with Dean quite unusual take on the theme,I like it nonetheless the processing number one works well for me.

I did wonder what seeing the full tree would look like but either way I quite like this one.

cheers
Thanks Andy. I've never seen the full tree either, because it's in a neighbour's back garden and from my side there's a row of garages directly in front of it :p

Week 49 (nearly there!!!!!) - Down

With all the storms we've had over the past couple of weeks, I knew there were likely to be a few trees down in the park and a decent break in the weather yesterday allowed me to go and take a look. I'd left it a bit late in the day and knew the light wasn't going to last very long, so I couldn't explore too far, but I found this one close to the entrance. It was a very big tree and it was fortunate that it fell the way it did because it was right on the edge of the car park and could have caused an awful lot of damage if it had gone the other way!

6eoruu.jpg

So, you were down in the park, found a downed tree and it appears to be covered in down too.
I think you have that that nicely covered Elaine (y)

Hi Elaine. Like the story behind the pic. Always a sad sight to see; years in the making and then suddenly gone - shame. Like the composition but love the colourful leaves even more, especially those providing decorative cover to the roots. :clap:

Hi Elaine, I must admit to having similar thoughts regarding the "downed" trees during the storm at the weekend. great minds think alike eh? :) This one looks like it was a big 'un though the scale is hard to judge. I wonder how long it had been there?

An interesting composition, I like how it has corralled the autumn leaves.
It almost has the look of a selective colour shot, I do like the colour of the leaves but there appears to be some halo-ing in places, I can't tell if it's the processing or flash.

You're getting some mileage from that park!

See you next week, not long now. :)

Hi, real shame such a wonderful tree has fallen.

Lovely colours in the leave. I'd her been tempted to go for a different angle rather that side on, maybe to remove some of the bright sky.

Nearly there indeed....3 more weeks then its TP52 for 2016 :banana: :whistle:

Cheers.

Hi Elaine

Down ... no doubt about it. I guess that's a tricky subject, a massive (presumably) tree, amongst other trees.

:agree: ... haha .. what's going on? my post appeared three times so I deleted 2 of them and the other's gone completely ... and now I can't really remember what I posted but it was nothing very enlightening. Nice idea Elaine, looks bit unfocused. :)

and now I can't really remember what I posted
I dunno a women's work is never done, delete the crap, revert to the post made,
busy busy busy :D

Hi Elaine, I must admit to having similar thoughts regarding the "downed" trees during the storm at the weekend. great minds think alike eh? :) This one looks like it was a big 'un though the scale is hard to judge. I wonder how long it had been there?

An interesting composition, I like how it has corralled the autumn leaves.
It almost has the look of a selective colour shot, I do like the colour of the leaves but there appears to be some halo-ing in places, I can't tell if it's the processing or flash.

You're getting some mileage from that park!

See you next week, not long now. :)

Hi, real shame such a wonderful tree has fallen.

Lovely colours in the leave. I'd her been tempted to go for a different angle rather that side on, maybe to remove some of the bright sky.

Nearly there indeed....3 more weeks then its TP52 for 2016 :banana: :whistle:

Cheers.

Hi Elaine

Down ... no doubt about it. I guess that's a tricky subject, a massive (presumably) tree, amongst other trees.
It was a VERY big tree! This is a conservation area and some of the trees are individually listed. I don't think that was one of them, but I would imagine it was several hundred hours old :(

Hi Elaine ....excellent idea for the theme, lovely autumn colours too. Are you in for next year ....I hope so :)
Thanks Susie. Yes, I'll be in again - it's kind of habit-forming isn't it?

Week 50 - Organised

Not the most technically challenging of shots this week, but a timely theme which I couldn't resist :p

2qvqo8i.jpg

Slightly OT, but at least I've got my personal FB cover photo organised! It's my old one of Grandson No1 and Mike at the local deer park earlier this year, but I've added in some very subtle photoshopping to make it a bit more Christmassy :eek:

2ylwzld.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not even that organised Eliane :D

Nice, simple and effective (y)

Love the simplicity with it's draft-like notes with the crossings out and directional arrows - all clear evidence of someone trying to get organised. I quite like the rough edge to the notepaper too.

What PS work Elaine - oh I see, it's replacing the original pub bar with the fence that Mike is propping up. The rest looks natural to me :).

Do you mind if I print off your list as a reminder, we've still got plenty of time, haven't we? Seriously though nicely on theme and the deer photo made me smile

Hi Elaine
I'm on the December Mega catch up tour:rolleyes:
So starting with Envy I'll keep it succinct if that's possible with me!
Envy... Love the green in the Iris that's excellent, I think the thing about the white of the eye is the fact its so pure white with no imperfections in it that makes it look slightly artificial and the LH corner of the eye does not match the white on the right. I think the toned down 2nd image is best. Super shot though!
Inverted.... Like both of these! The Duck shot is brilliant! Nicely framed and great detail, with all the little droplets of water on its underside just goes to show how waterproof they are! Really nice colour too.
Great idea with the taps. Its excellent when something like that just springs up and solves a problem. Funny how you never notice things out of square until you take a picture of them. I like both shots and it’s a fine line between them, can’t decide…. Think the Duck just takes it.
Shimmer.... I like the bokeh that the narrow DOF has created and was thinking along the same lines for shooting shimmer when I finally get my finger out (yes I’m that far behind). The feather has something about it, think the little highlights running down the veins of the feather are really nice and say “Shimmer” quite well.
Elements…. Bit of the old Earth Wind and Fire Eh!, I think as said above the soft focus actually works quite well with this shot, and fits the theme well.
Seasonal …. The one that really stands out for me here is the Yew. Nice bright red berries against a crisp clean olive green. The light has made the berries glow…. Lovely!
Full…. Cleverly thought out, well done. Very nice focus and colour, really sharp! Great shot bang on theme too!

Will continue my update on the comment soon! I’ll be Back!

Hey Elaine ... The Xmas list ... That's funny ... simply but well put together, the shaky writing alone says disorganised. (y)

I'm not even that organised Eliane :D

Nice, simple and effective (y)

Love the simplicity with it's draft-like notes with the crossings out and directional arrows - all clear evidence of someone trying to get organised. I quite like the rough edge to the notepaper too.

What PS work Elaine - oh I see, it's replacing the original pub bar with the fence that Mike is propping up. The rest looks natural to me :).

Do you mind if I print off your list as a reminder, we've still got plenty of time, haven't we? Seriously though nicely on theme and the deer photo made me smile

Hi, Elaine... Your pictures are so funny... The list was spot on theme, looks a little bit like my notes too :D And the second one is making me laugh :LOL:
Thanks for the comments. Carl, you spotted that little bit of PS that I thought was so well hidden :(

Hi Elaine
I'm on the December Mega catch up tour:rolleyes:
So starting with Envy I'll keep it succinct if that's possible with me!
Envy... Love the green in the Iris that's excellent, I think the thing about the white of the eye is the fact its so pure white with no imperfections in it that makes it look slightly artificial and the LH corner of the eye does not match the white on the right. I think the toned down 2nd image is best. Super shot though!
Inverted.... Like both of these! The Duck shot is brilliant! Nicely framed and great detail, with all the little droplets of water on its underside just goes to show how waterproof they are! Really nice colour too.
Great idea with the taps. Its excellent when something like that just springs up and solves a problem. Funny how you never notice things out of square until you take a picture of them. I like both shots and it’s a fine line between them, can’t decide…. Think the Duck just takes it.
Shimmer.... I like the bokeh that the narrow DOF has created and was thinking along the same lines for shooting shimmer when I finally get my finger out (yes I’m that far behind). The feather has something about it, think the little highlights running down the veins of the feather are really nice and say “Shimmer” quite well.
Elements…. Bit of the old Earth Wind and Fire Eh!, I think as said above the soft focus actually works quite well with this shot, and fits the theme well.
Seasonal …. The one that really stands out for me here is the Yew. Nice bright red berries against a crisp clean olive green. The light has made the berries glow…. Lovely!
Full…. Cleverly thought out, well done. Very nice focus and colour, really sharp! Great shot bang on theme too!

Will continue my update on the comment soon! I’ll be Back!
Wow! Thanks for going so far back Steve! And thank you for telling me that the berry bush is a yew - I hadn't a clue what it was, just thought it looked autumnal :oops: :$

Hi Elaine, that just sums up Christmas, very simple but amusing :clap:

Hi Elaine .....:) Looks like my list ....I think my Christmas cards will be New Year cards if I don't hurry up.

Nice bit of PS work there .....good Christmassy fun.

Hey Elaine ... The Xmas list ... That's funny ... simply but well put together, the shaky writing alone says disorganised. (y)

Ahhhh thats a good idea Elaine !!1

Liking the little clip and the crossed out text, also the torn bottom helps make it not look staged, nice idea :)

Hi Elaine,

Very nice shot for Down. Good composition and seasonal colours (y)
Organised - Made me laugh :D Looks almost identical to the list I have. Great fit for the theme (y)
Thanks everybody and may I wish a very merry and (reasonably) well organised Christmas to one and all (y)

Week 51 - Living

Grandparent duties this week! Bit of a shoehorn required for the first one, but spending several days with a 10 year old has made me realise how typical this is of

21st Century Living

20uepu9.jpg

Did manage to get him out to the park for a bit of fresh air and exercise yesterday afternoon and the mandarin ducks were out in force, so #2 is

Living Colour

2qmon61.jpg

Hi, 21st century living, Isabelle plays Minecraft all the time :) On theme, I like the fact the screen plays a limited part in the frame. I might like more of an over the shoulder persecutive, IYSWIM.

#2 has lovely colours and reflection but looks slightly OOF.

Cheers.

Pretty much as Andy say's Elaine, its certainly 21st living that's for sure (y)
Those Mandarin ducks certainly are colourful, but the focus seems to be on the copper colour rather than the head / eye.

Hi Elaine. Know exactly what you mean - those games controllers almost need surgical removal. I like #2 for the bright colours, water ripples and reflection - beautiful.

I love the way that kids sell you the idea of minecraft as semi educational. You build stuff...
Then once they've got it you realise it's about killing zombies and raiding other people's stashes...
1st World Living ;)

Loving the colours on the duck, but have to agree that the focus looks a little out.

It's life Elaine but not as we know it! My own 14 year old is glued to one electronic device or another most evenings. No shoe horn required for me. Lovely colours on the duck

Back