weekly Elaine's 52 for 2015 - Christmas added - finished!

Hi Elaine, great idea i am with dark knight about the composition and the needle lets it down a little, although you have achieved what you set out to do the needle is the first thing you notice

Hi, B&W adds a gritty feel and you have all the elements of habit.

I'm not keen on the composition, though, I fell not having them coming in from the owners might work better.

Anyway, a well thought out idea.

Cheers.

I think he means corners, :agree:

The combination of the arrangement and the fake needle (especially as it's the main focal point) makes it look just too set up to be real.

Nice "dirty" conversion!

This would be a good one to re-shoot. I don't know about you but I feel like I learn very little when it works first time.

Week 47 - Covered

I was hopeful for a bit of snow when I saw this theme come up, but it wasn't to be so I decided to go in search of moss-covered surfaces instead. Found plenty of those and I think these are my 3 favourites. The first 2 are different trees, but fairly similar and I couldn't choose between them, although I think the big leaf in the first one kind of looks as if it's been specially placed there (it wasn't!) and I maybe should have got rid of it to expose more of the bark.

2rfzyuv.jpg

3008pdh.jpg

vgyl0.jpg

Hi Elaine. That's quite a novel idea. I noticed that leaf in #1 straight away and thought it made a nice focus point for the viewer but I'm undecided whether my fave is #2 for the rich green and browns or #3 for the quirky tree that appears to be balancing atop those stones .... hmmmm.... #3 I think for the varied components

Nice set Eliane #3 & #1 are my favourites in that order.
Great idea, well executed (y)

HI Elaine. How selfish, hoping for snow JUST so you could get your shot for the '52. :p - You could always have done a David @d00d and got the flour out... :naughty:

I like #2 the best - What ARE this lot thinking? - Anyway, a trunk covered in bark, the ground covered in leaves. I get it.

The background is a bit messy. I think this could be hugely improved by going in for a detail shot on the soft glowing greenery, perhaps with a bit of bark coming through for a contrast in texture (and a nod to the theme, ie. showing what's covered). But that's just an idea, its nice enough. (y)

Hi Elaine

I been avoiding commenting on your Habit pic., still not sure what to think. It's a bit messy but then again it's supposed to look a bit messy. And of course in lack a decent syringe.

Covered ... #2 is tops as I see great detail in the covering. Although #3 is probably the most interesting.

Many thanks for all your comments. Opinions seem very divided on which is the favourite! On balance, I think I like the last one best, purely for the interestingly shaped tree. Its structure reminds me very much of an olive tree, but sadly there are no olive trees in Bramhall Park.

@susiejb No idea what's going on there Susie! No sign of whoever they are on either my pc nor ipad, but I use the standard website on my ipad rather than an app, so maybe that's it, as Brian suggested.

Week 48 - Connected

Bit of an opportunistic one this week. I'd already sorted out a necklace with a large clasp for the theme, but hadn't managed to get around to setting it up when I happened to spot a gathering (murder?) of crows in the top of a neighbour's tree. My immediate thought was a real live family tree, connected by all being the same species and physically connected by the branches of the tree. Grabbed my camera and managed to fire off a few shots before something scared them away. I picked what I thought was the best of them, but I decided the original was a bit boring, so I started playing around with it and I quite liked the result so this is my submission for the week.

ra1bag.jpg

Pre-playing for comparison:

2ekrpf4.jpg

Thanks Chris.

Hi Elaine. Yes, I too like the conversion - is it Inverse? The image has gained more clarity and interest.

Last edited:
Hello, Elaine... Lovely idea and composition. Both shots are good and personally I like the original one better (mainly because I am not really a fan of inversed image :D) but I think the inverse you did makes it more interesting and suitable for the theme (y)

I happened to spot a gathering (murder?) of crows
Are they Crows or rooks?
I'm guessing rooks as they tend to be more gregarious than crows, that would be a parliament.
So few crows would of course be an "attempted" murder :D

Having got the pedantic stuff out the way :D

Nice idea it has an infrared feel to it (y)

Cover; prefer #2 of the three. Not sure about #1 with the intentional placed leaf which I found a bit of a distraction. #3 looks busy with a lot going on although the stones are covered by moss.

Connected; Like your thoughts behind the shot its different but good concept and well captured. Love the processing effects of the first and again very different and unusual.

Elaine ... great idea for the theme - better than a necklace, I'm sure - really nice shoppery job, they seem to be outlined in white(y)

Well done Elaine, nice bit of lateral thinking (making the connection to the theme - LOL) and well done for working it to emphasise the silhouette, slightly heavy (the birds have some halo's) handed, but it's always nice to see some creative PP. (y)

Last edited:
Yeah I'd agree with Dean quite unusual take on the theme,I like it nonetheless the processing number one works well for me.

I did wonder what seeing the full tree would look like but either way I quite like this one.

cheers

Hi Elaine,
Habit: I really like the gritty feel to this one. Perfect for the theme.
Covered: I think No2 works best for me. I love the colour and texture in the moss.
Connected: A great connection to the theme. I like the pp too :)

Hi Elaine. Yes, I too like the conversion - is it Inverse? The image has gained more clarity and interest.

Elaine ... great idea for the theme - better than a necklace, I'm sure - really nice shoppery job, they seem to be outlined in white(y)

Well done Elaine, nice bit of lateral thinking (making the connection to the theme - LOL) and well done for working it to emphasise the silhouette, slightly heavy (the birds have some halo's) handed, but it's always nice to see some creative PP. (y)
Thanks guys! I started off by inverting the whole image which turned the birds and the main branches pure white and then replaced the whites with black. The thinner, twiggy branches were a kind of pale beige, so I lightened that to white and darkened the sky a bit. Not sure where the halos around the birds came from, but I quite liked them!

Are they Crows or rooks?
I'm guessing rooks as they tend to be more gregarious than crows, that would be a parliament.
So few crows would of course be an "attempted" murder :D

Having got the pedantic stuff out the way :D

Nice idea it has an infrared feel to it (y)
Thanks Cobra. Difficult to tell whether they were crows or rooks because the silhouette effect doesn't let you see whether they have white faces. I presumed they were crows because we have a lot of them around here, whilst I can't remember ever noticing any rooks, but you could be right.

Back