Em's 52 for 2017 - You added

Nicely done. I prefer the square crop, and think it makes the whole image pop.

Hairy - a great capture of the cat, loving the detail in the eyes and that the whiskers are pin sharp.

Smooth - two nice images for the theme, loving the colours and the reflections on the marble shot. The simplicity of the second image works well, nice background, and the ring placed against the stone the colours compliment each other well.

I like the off centre version a much stronger image, don't listen to them. As for the BG I would have probably gone black but I would have been wrong, both strong images

Nicely done. I prefer the square crop, and think it makes the whole image pop.
Thanks Paul...I'm still not sure on the crop, but glad you like it!

Hairy - a great capture of the cat, loving the detail in the eyes and that the whiskers are pin sharp.

Smooth - two nice images for the theme, loving the colours and the reflections on the marble shot. The simplicity of the second image works well, nice background, and the ring placed against the stone the colours compliment each other well.
Thanks Mandy - that's nice feedback :)

I like the off centre version a much stronger image, don't listen to them. As for the BG I would have probably gone black but I would have been wrong, both strong images
Lol - at least it's not just me :) i tried black but the red worked much better.

Hi Emma ...well done with the marbles, they look really good, I fiddled around with some for ages, but they had a catchlight on them that looked too bright, you've done really well. I like the centre crop, for the off centre one, I'd like really off centre, with much more space around to really throw them back.
I like the idea with the ring too, it works well against the heart shaped stone.

Hmmmm for me the first one is a load of balls !!!

The second image although nicely done, and I like the elements with the heart stone and the ring they just appear a tad odd to me, but the marble shot works really well, thinking it's the clean look, nice reflection and bright colours, ticks the boxes for me (y)

marbles ... that's a strong colourful reflection. Thought it was marbles stacked up at first ... silly me.

Personally I preferred the original marbles photo but which ever it is very nicely done

Love the colourful marbles and a great idea with the ring and stone.:)

Hi Emma ...well done with the marbles, they look really good, I fiddled around with some for ages, but they had a catchlight on them that looked too bright, you've done really well. I like the centre crop, for the off centre one, I'd like really off centre, with much more space around to really throw them back.
I like the idea with the ring too, it works well against the heart shaped stone.
Thanks Susie - I think you might be right about more space on the marbles. I used window light but diffused it with two layers of white cloth.

Hmmmm for me the first one is a load of balls !!!

The second image although nicely done, and I like the elements with the heart stone and the ring they just appear a tad odd to me, but the marble shot works really well, thinking it's the clean look, nice reflection and bright colours, ticks the boxes for me (y)
Thanks Dean - I was pleased with the way the colours came out.

marbles ... that's a strong colourful reflection. Thought it was marbles stacked up at first ... silly me.
It was hard enough keeping them still on the glass! I resorted to the trusty old blutack in the end :)

Personally I preferred the original marbles photo but which ever it is very nicely done
Thanks Chris - I think Susie was right about a touch more space on the original.

Love the colourful marbles and a great idea with the ring and stone.:)
Thanks Shirley :)

Hi Emma. I was undecided which I preferred of the two - both are good. If pushed, and I'd have to be, then the marbles probably because of the abstract nature of it and the lovely colours. Great idea - inventive.

Great marbles shot, I like the colourful strong reflections. And I prefer the first crop.

You're second shot for smooth is a bit too cliched for me...

Love the first image, hadn't noticed it was off centre until reading the comments. Nice idea and colours

Hi Emma. I was undecided which I preferred of the two - both are good. If pushed, and I'd have to be, then the marbles probably because of the abstract nature of it and the lovely colours. Great idea - inventive.

Two good takes on the theme Emma.
I'm going to plump for the shot with the marbles, I find that I can just stare at the colours and shapes that you've captured.
:clap:

Great marbles shot, I like the colourful strong reflections. And I prefer the first crop.

You're second shot for smooth is a bit too cliched for me...

Love the first image, hadn't noticed it was off centre until reading the comments. Nice idea and colours
Thank you! @brrnd - cliched is fair I think, but I'd never tried anything like it...just wish I'd had both rings!

Well...I think I definitely got a mineral - not the easiest week to be sure you're on theme!
Apologies for using the reflective glass again, but I have been meaning to experiment with different backgrounds above it, so that has been good. I'm not very excited by this shot to be honest, but I don't think I'll have time to reshoot so here it is - an old hematite bracelet.
The thing I was pleased with was noticing that the front in focus bead was a bit dark and lost, so I held a piece of white paper just under the lens to create the white refection across the front which lifted the shot a little. Small things...!

Week 5 - mineral by Em's TP 52 2017, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nice enough for your dubious mineral shot :D I like the reflective surface easily good enough for this awful theme

That's come out really well Emma ... especially the front lighting with your piece of white paper. Excellent depth of field and I like the composition with that heart shape. Well themed ... unfortunately (I'm looking for someone to share my Shoehorn award).

Like it. Nice shallow DOF and it's a wonderful bracelet.

I think there's a better composition in there. I'd like to see the bracelet on the RHS on the front leading away to the back, or maybe rotate it maintaining the heart shape.

Just a thought.

Lovely clean surface and muted tones.

Cheers.

Like it. Nice shallow DOF and it's a wonderful bracelet.

I think there's a better composition in there. I'd like to see the bracelet on the RHS on the front leading away to the back, or maybe rotate it maintaining the heart shape.

Just a thought.

Lovely clean surface and muted tones.

Cheers.
Bugger - I think you're right Andy. I spent so long faffing with those two bits as well!

I like the photo, nice reflection, good DoF...

Looks like haematite or magnetite so a mineral and nicely captured.

Simple clean shot, suits the B&W and the positioning of the bracelet with the focus at the front. (y)

Very nice indeed Emma, great DOF and focus on the main bit of mineral, and just love that reflection :plus1::plus1:
Thanks David :)

Simple clean shot, suits the B&W and the positioning of the bracelet with the focus at the front. (y)
Thank you :) It's not b&w, but I brought down the yellow saturation as the chain part was a bit tarnished and distracted from the greys.

I like it :) Nice bracelet, and well composed image.

The square crop for me Emma, it just adds more to it. Liking the heart and ring pic too but as has been said above, would have looked better with 2 rings.

Don't you have a hacksaw? Surely losing a finger is a small sacrifice to make for your art :p

It's definitely a mineral , and I agree it's a hard one to do this week without a shoehorn. Liking the heart shape but find the oof rhs drawing my eyes to the clasp.

Last edited:
Love the colours in the marbles shot and the reflection too. I too prefer the square crop :) The reflective surface works well for the necklace as well. Think I might have to invest in a sheet of glass :D

Back