weekly Gil Bev's 52s for 2018 - Week 6 Sharp Added

#1 does it for me, great bit of street/airport photography :)

I actually prefer the first one, you get the sense of it being a busy time with people rushing around and going about their day! Nice take on it too!

Same here...
Also - holidays and NO camera ? Erm, really? the whole point of a camare is to capture the moment and you leave it home for a holiday ?

Less underwear and more gear man.....

Not meant as a negative or troll type post, just a little surprised - I get the weight thing if flying tho, and thats the reason, then I almost accept.... ;)

Same here...
Also - holidays and NO camera ? Erm, really? the whole point of a camare is to capture the moment and you leave it home for a holiday ?

Less underwear and more gear man.....

Not meant as a negative or troll type post, just a little surprised - I get the weight thing if flying tho, and thats the reason, then I almost accept.... ;)

I'm a bit of a scrounge when it comes to paying for luggage, plus the whole worry thing about it getting stolen from the apartment on nights out / or getting it nabbed. I know, I missed so many amazon opportunities. You'd kill me if you knew how many places I had been without my camera!!

First one definately gets the job done - well done

Plenty of interesting bits in the airport scene Gil. The eye gets drawn to the bright yellow sign but then can wander round picking up the people.

Week 0 - good shot for a practice week - the dehaze looks handy - sadly my LR is too old to have that so would have to do it manually in PS and I'm not that good.
Week 1 - The airport shot for me - great colours and hustle and bustle, though the nice blue skies of your destination look inviting.

I thought your first shot was a people shot but it works well for gate plenty going on. lovely blue and white Mediterranean feel to the second

Departure Gates (y) ... nice one for the theme. A good clean shot.

Another holiday snap from last week for - People. Sorry guys, not much effort put into this one, but I have something better for this week!!

People on the beach
by Gilbo B, on Flickr
Taken in Arinaga, Gran Canaria

I would have preferred to submit the below for last week's theme (although I think this breaks the rules as it was taken last year). Here it is anyway:

Crabbing at Wells-Next-The-Sea
by Gilbo B, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back in business with the proper camera. Here's a more serious attempt for this weeks theme - Stark. Had a bit of trouble composing, I had nice light, and some nice subject, but had trouble framing them!! Here's the best I could do!!

So my thinking is a 'Stark' winter landscape. Any CC welcome!!

HSC_6683-2.jpg

1/200 sec at f/9.0, ISO100, 16mm

The few people on that long beach look a bit lost, but as a landscape the photo is well composed.

Stark is an excellent photo, well composed with the river disappearing into the distance and the mist just below the trees. Good light and nice colours (y)

Stark, it's all there, sharp, detailed with well controlled light and fits the theme well. I like the tones of the river and reeds nicely picked out by the white snow but perhaps it just needs a little something else for the eye to settle on?

Stark, it's all there, sharp, detailed with well controlled light and fits the theme well. I like the tones of the river and reeds nicely picked out by the white snow but perhaps it just needs a little something else for the eye to settle on?
I agree, just needed something extra

Gate number one works for me, and you should deffo take your camera on holiday, especially the macro lens you have, all those lovely bugs that we don't get here :)

Stark shot works well within the theme, looks really bleak out there, one thing I did notice was there is a bit of CA in there though, not nit picking but it's one of my pet hates and I always look for it, got a bit of OCD haven't I. :)

Last edited:
Always take a camera on holiday, people shot to me just a mobile snap sorry to say. Stark is a cracking shot though, good colours and good to see the WB is spot on. Nice little reflections in the water, with a mist just coming in from the back even the sky is good (y)

Always remember holidays and cameras go together :D

Always take a camera on holiday, people shot to me just a mobile snap sorry to say. Stark is a cracking shot though, good colours and good to see the WB is spot on. Nice little reflections in the water, with a mist just coming in from the back even the sky is good (y)

Always remember holidays and cameras go together :D

I will definately take it next time!! Would you leave your camera gear in the hotel room / apartment while out for dinner / drinks on holiday?

I will definately take it next time!! Would you leave your camera gear in the hotel room / apartment while out for dinner / drinks on holiday?
Put mine in the safe, I can get a Canon 80D, Canon 17-55 f2.8 and a Sigma 150-600 in there as well as the wifes ipad :)

People - Agree with Mandy the second image is a better image as there is more interest but I can understand your reasons for using the image you did.

Strak - Really like that one I like the reflection of the sky in the water.

starks a nice shot maybe a bit of a crop to make the diagonal water more of the subject matter

I like your stark entry - I think you did really well to get good composition and balance from those conditions - love the mist in the background

I like your stark image, good colours for a stark winters day, needs a focal point for your eyes to settle on.
We had loads of rain here and a bit of snow which did not settle.

Yes I too like Stark. The desolation, the angle the stream runs across and the FG rubbish adds to the starkness.(y)

Hi Gil,

People - There are no rules, only suggested approaches to the 52. That said, we do try not to post too many archives shots (afterall the idea is to get out and shoot). Both shots work, I like the moody sky and light on the buildings in the one you posted, but like you, I think I prefer the crabbing shot for the theme.

Stark - Nice shot, with the bleakness of the landscape in the snow, the mist rising in the background and the milky sun.

Works for me Sir, nicely composed, well exposed with good detail in the shadows & highlights, and nice colour.(y)

George.

A bit of a shoehorn this week.

Night falls 'over' Glasgow's Westend. Picture is of the Kelvingrove Art Gallery & Museum

HSC_7445.jpg

15s f8.0 ISO100, 22m

Last edited:
@Kodiak Qc has a good point re the keystone, as you've given yourself plenty of space in which to play with the uprights, but to be fair, I don't mind a bit of perspective, it doesn't look un-natural as it is.
I may have been tempted to have a play with the clone tool (I'm not saying it would be an easy job mind you, but it does look like there is probably enough around the car to allow you to create something realistic, and that's what the 52 is for, playing and trying things).

That said, it is a really nice shot. The lighting and colours are really nice, the subject interesting and the road leads your eye onto the subject.

Nice colours in here, Gil!(y)
I would suggest a keystone tweak! :cool:
Thanks Kodiak. That's something new I didn't know about until I researched the term you mentioned 'keystone'. I really appreciate your feedback. Thanks!!

@Kodiak Qc has a good point re the keystone, as you've given yourself plenty of space in which to play with the uprights, but to be fair, I don't mind a bit of perspective, it doesn't look un-natural as it is.
I may have been tempted to have a play with the clone tool (I'm not saying it would be an easy job mind you, but it does look like there is probably enough around the car to allow you to create something realistic, and that's what the 52 is for, playing and trying things).

That said, it is a really nice shot. The lighting and colours are really nice, the subject interesting and the road leads your eye onto the subject.

Thanks for going into detail @LC2. To try and better my results its really appreciated you talking about these improvements I can make. I'm working on applying these 2 changes. The car is proving difficult in lightroom with the clone tool. Hopefully I'll be able to post an improved version later on one I've persevered with the removal of the car. I've found the adjustments in Lightroom so think I've improved the keystone tweek @Kodiak Qc

Which one. I'm a novice with Photoshop :-(

Which one. I'm a novice with Photoshop :-(
The photoshop clone tool is more, er... predictable than LR because you select the source before applying to the target, and it also gives you the preview before you begin to commit the change.
I would use the clone stamp over any of the other tools, as the AI in spot healing or content aware fill is almost certainly going to get it wrong.

People - I agree the crabbing shot is better for the theme as the people are a bit lost in the landscape in the first shot but a letterbox crop like this bring the people out more.
upload_2018-1-28_13-38-11.png

Stark - great shot for the theme I like sun through the cloud and reflection of the sky.

Over - lovely colours I like it

Back