weekly Gramps' Photo52 2012 - Week 30 'Contrast' added

Hi Gramps...

nice plane, still not entirely sure what HDR is or does!!! but it looks good to me....will have to read up about HDR...

what sort of plane is it? the cockpit looks massive!!

HDR is 'High Dynamic Range' you can read about it HERE

The plane is a Harvard, you can read about it HERE

:)

I prefer #1. I'd have like a full wheel but the wing doesn't bother me. The HDR has been handled well. In fact I think you could have even played with the sky to make it more ominous and therefore make the yellow stand out further.

Hi, Gramps, flight #1 is a cracker...now that's what I call a plane (y)

Lovely vibrant colours. Nice depth in the composition.

You did really well with the fence and all.

Cheers.

Hi Gramps...

nice plane, still not entirely sure what HDR is or does!!! but it looks good to me....will have to read up about HDR...

what sort of plane is it? the cockpit looks massive!!

Is it a Harvard ?

Hi Gramps,

I like both of your images the aircraft looks good and is bang on theme. why is there always clutter around aircraft. No one ever gives any thought to us poor photographers.

Great timing too of the swan taking off - very aerodynamical !

Nice work,

Nick

Hi Gramps

what a great looking plane....caught really well , like the angle & the subtle HDR to bring out the tones...nice work mister (y)

Great capture on the Swan as well.... :)

I prefer #1. I'd have like a full wheel but the wing doesn't bother me. The HDR has been handled well. In fact I think you could have even played with the sky to make it more ominous and therefore make the yellow stand out further.

Hi Gramps

Flight - The plane is a nice pic to me, love them old planes, the pic has a nice feel to it, the hedge doesn't distract for me, I think the sky really pulls it all together, I can imagine it getting ready to take off from an old field !!!

Hi Gramps, a good use of HDR which really adds to the pic!:)

Hi, Gramps, flight #1 is a cracker...now that's what I call a plane (y)

Lovely vibrant colours. Nice depth in the composition.

You did really well with the fence and all.

Cheers.

Is it a Harvard ?

Hi Gramps,

I like both of your images the aircraft looks good and is bang on theme. why is there always clutter around aircraft. No one ever gives any thought to us poor photographers.

Great timing too of the swan taking off - very aerodynamical !

Nice work,

Nick

Hi Gramps

what a great looking plane....caught really well , like the angle & the subtle HDR to bring out the tones...nice work mister (y)

Great capture on the Swan as well.... :)

Thanks for commenting folks, but what does tomorrow bring :eek:

For my take on 'Authority' I present 'The Blind House' on the bridge over the Rover Avon at Bradford-on-Avon.
It is traditionally linked with John Wesley and claimed by many to have been a small chapel, however this is thought to be incorrect by modern historians.

It is believed that rather than being a chapel it was used initially as a prison or 'lock-up' - it had no windows and hence a single way in and a single way out ... to the judge ... hence 'Authority'!

The blind house, so called because it had no windows, was used for containing prisoners before their trial and also for lodging prisoners when they were travelling from their place of arrest to the assize courts. At a later date the blind house was used as a market toll house for collecting dues on animals brought to the market and, in the early 20th century, as an ammunition store.

The Blind House - Bradford-on-Avon by photogramps, on Flickr

nice use of the theme there are many of these lockups round the country Everton football club has one on the club badge. as for the picture a tighter crop would be better maybe

Hi Gramps, nice one! Really like this..and enjoyed reading the history.Not seen one of these before.
Must Google to find out if there are any in Scotland.

Carol

Yeah , that works better for me , lost most of those ugly buildings to the left & can now concentrate on the main subject....well done for trying the advice :clap:

Thanks, I was looking to get some context with the bridge but as you say the 'new' buildings didn't sit well with the old building.

Hi Gramps

Authority - nice shot. Like the colour and the new crop. Quite a difficult light to handle. Weird that the colours on the finial give the impression that the small cloud is actually passing in front of the finial!

Hadn't noticed that - the top of the finial is actually in the shape of a fish ... another reason that some have given it a religious history rather than its history as a prison.

I much prefer the edit. As has been said great fluffy clouds and blue sky. Is it in this country? :LOL:

Doesn't seem possible does it ... drought, what drought :D

Hi Gramps, nice one! Really like this..and enjoyed reading the history.Not seen one of these before.
Must Google to find out if there are any in Scotland.

Carol

There are apparantly quite a lot around Carol.

I prefer the edit too Gramps, I like the back story also.

Your crop fills the frame, and the symmetrical look works well with the subject.

Iain

Just noticed your second Flight shot. Nice timing makes this a great shot.
Authority - The crop has really brought this picture out. Good to know about the history as well.

Hi Gramps, what a strange looking building. The kind of strange you just know you wanted nothing to do with way back then! Thanks for the history, it obviously helps to link this shot to the theme or else I wouldn't have had a clue! The crop version is better, lovely detail in the brick work and glorious blue sky, such a rare sight this year.

'Authority' - nice image Gramps and an interesting piece of local history. the building does have all the hallmarks of a 'House of Confinement' there is a similar example near to where I live but it's not as ornate. fits very well with the theme. Nice focus and exposure and detail in the brickwork.

Nick

Hi Gramps,

Like it, crop does work better but didn't mind the first post.

The history with it adds to the photo aswell....nice work:)

Definitely NOT the way to Leave!

Hangman.jpg

like this, is that were you live? there are some very odd names of roads around the country.

No this is near Malvern in Worcestershire ... one of those cases of passing an opportunity :D

'Leave' - hmm agree with you there Gramps. Being highly strung is not avery conducive to a persons wellbeing ! Nice mono image and use of 1/3 rule

Nick

'Leave' - hmm agree with you there Gramps. Being highly strung is not avery conducive to a persons wellbeing ! Nice mono image and use of 1/3 rule

Nick

Hi Gramps

liking that , different slant but works well , good in mono...well spotted mister (y)

Leave...well spotted..nice lateral thinking.

Cheers.

Hi Gramps

Well spotted. Busy scene so use of mono is a good choice.

Hi Gramps

Leave - Well spotted, an oof background would have been nice to help separate the busy background, but nice composition and I really like the B&W, great idea

Well spotted. Made me smile.

Thanks guys, appreciate the comments.

Back