weekly Gramps' Photo52 2012 - Week 30 'Contrast' added

Hi Gramps
Leave. Good take for this theme. Steering clear of your area in case they return to the old ways.
Random Right for the theme, 1st shot is strongest, cant say no more.
Temperature. The 1st shot is my fav. Lovely catch of concentration and hot metal work.
Abstract. Exceptional processing, really suits this shot to make it fit the theme.

Hi Gramps. This shot really fits the theme well with some clever PP, but I'm afraid it's just not my thing, sorry :(

No problem Marsha it's not my thing either really ... just a 'theme effort' :shrug:

Random: 1st shot. I like this, we have a set of stones up the road, called the Giant's Ring. Looks almost identical.

Temperature: Good set. Maybe tighter crop on a couple, but that's a minor issue to me as they're still well shot.

Random: That jumps out as random all the way.

Hi Gramps

great PP , works really well , also kinda looks like water & reminds of of the Terminator film where the baddie just kept reforming :LOL: Might not be your kinda thing but I think it works well , could see it as part of a set & on the wall in a minimalist trendy cafe or similar (y)

'Symmetry' - my offering comes from the ruins of St Mary's Church in Wilton, Wiltshire ... processed in Color Efex Pro.

symmetry.jpg

Fits the symmetrical theme but I'm afraid I'm not keen on the processing. At first I thought I recognised the location but I've never been to Wilton so who knows where I thought it might be.

Hi Gramps. Great interpretation for symmetry, but I agree with Peter that the processing doesn't really work. I think it's managed to make it look false without really adding anything.

It's a shame, because it's an interesting subject and well composed shot.

really not keen on the processing and the background is distracting my eyes go straight to the house

the arch's are right on theme & well centred , so for that it's a (y) I quite like the dreamy look but wonder if mono would work better as the colors are a little over powering :thinking:
:agree:

I like this shot the symmetry works really well. I know there's not a lot that can be done about the background so a conversion to B&W might help.

Hi Gramps

Starting to catch up but seem to be well behind on yours - sorry

Random - good comp, colour and focus

Temperature - good related set. #2 seems the least apt for the theme. #1 is well taken - nice capture of the heat in the metal. #3 my choice because it ties together the them and the basic work of the blacksmith

Abstract - good use of PP. I wold maybe have cropped the extraneous 'leaf' at the left but that is a minor niggle. Really stands out.

Symmetry - well looks like i am going to be the odd one out.

I think that it is a little too green but I like the composition, the old fashioned feel which suits the 'olde' English subject, the soft oof atmosphere. All very painterly and i would have been pleased to produce that.(y)

Doing 'Catchup' here after being on holiday with no way of connecting laptop to the Internet for uploads ... so here goes!

Re-Shoot

Most didn't like my 'Symmetry' shot so I'm posting another, a street-photography capture ... 'tongue in cheek'!

symmetry-1.jpg

Moody

I have two offerings for moody, one from the inside of a little church in Wiltshire and one from the Sussex coast, near Birling Gap.

prayer by photogramps, on Flickr

Sunset_Boats by photogramps, on Flickr

Joy

Spotted this when doing a bit of street photography again, captured the fact that the joy of an ice-cream knows no age limits.

icecreams.jpg

Small

My offering for 'small' is a tiny weasel - lovely little character but a very quick mover, took a bit of time to capture him!

weasel by photogramps, on Flickr

Symmetry - great take on the theme, like it a lot.

Moody - both excellent pictures, love #2, so simple and lovely colours but for the theme #1 of those. A great silhouette shot.

Joy - great capture (y)

Small - cute!!!

Hey Gramps

Re-Shoot - I like that, a nice interpretation and not too obvious

Moody - No:1 is great!!! but no:2 is sooooo interesting, love the colours in that image

Joy - A nice idea, your explanation is good and spot on, but now you say it, for me the shot would have been spot on if seeing a face 'receiving' the ice cream with that 'Nom Nom' look

Small - Wow... that is excellent, how on earth did you know where he was ?? the wife 'wants one' now :D

I like the symmetry tongue in cheek and the ice cream capture. (y)

Cheers

Symmetry - great take on the theme, like it a lot.

Moody - both excellent pictures, love #2, so simple and lovely colours but for the theme #1 of those. A great silhouette shot.

Joy - great capture (y)

Small - cute!!!

All great pics those Gramps, I really love that sunset picture with its simplicity. Well done with the weasel too!

Thanks guys, comments appreciated.

Hey Gramps

Re-Shoot - I like that, a nice interpretation and not too obvious

Moody - No:1 is great!!! but no:2 is sooooo interesting, love the colours in that image

Joy - A nice idea, your explanation is good and spot on, but now you say it, for me the shot would have been spot on if seeing a face 'receiving' the ice cream with that 'Nom Nom' look

Small - Wow... that is excellent, how on earth did you know where he was ?? the wife 'wants one' now :D

Yes, joy could have been better in slightly different circumstances - better angle to show his face.

The weasel was at the British Wildlife Centre so I had a sporting chance of catching him, but he was still very quick and very shy ... oh and tell your wife they draw blood!

Symmetry...well spotted, liking this one (y)

Joy, another cracker...ice-cream one of them :D things. I really like how delicately he's holding the cones.

Small, well caught. Eye contact and catchlights :D

Cheers.

Hi Gramps

I like your reshoot of symmetry, spot on :clap: also the 1st one for moody is my fave although the 2nd is also a very good shot. The ice cream shot is right on theme too, but you should have asked them to dance for you :LOL:

I don't really see small when I look at the weasel though, good shot and everything, but I think it needs some perspective, sorry - here's a dancing banana though :banana: :)

Last edited:
Hi

Symmetry - well I liked your first shot as i said but this one is good too. Good idea on the theme and a well taken shot.

Moody - #2 for me with its unusual clour and the mood of serenity

Joy- on theme certainly but probably bettr if they had been facing camera or licking ice cream

Small - excellent capture - nice focus and good eyes,. POV with all that vegetation helps make him look really small.(y)

Well done on getting any type of in focus pic of the weasel

like the sunset pic too but needs a slightly different crop I am not sure what but it looks a bit unbalanced if you know what I mean

Symmetry...well spotted, liking this one (y)

Joy, another cracker...ice-cream one of them :D things. I really like how delicately he's holding the cones.

Small, well caught. Eye contact and catchlights :D

Cheers.

Hi Gramps

I like your reshoot of symmetry, spot on :clap: also the 1st one for moody is my fave although the 2nd is also a very good shot. The ice cream shot is right on theme too, but you should have asked them to dance for you :LOL:

I don't really see small when I look at the weasel though, good shot and everything, but I think it needs some perspective, sorry - here's a dancing banana though :banana: :)

Hi

Symmetry - well I liked your first shot as i said but this one is good too. Good idea on the theme and a well taken shot.

Moody - #2 for me with its unusual clour and the mood of serenity

Joy- on theme certainly but probably bettr if they had been facing camera or licking ice cream

Small - excellent capture - nice focus and good eyes,. POV with all that vegetation helps make him look really small.(y)

Well done on getting any type of in focus pic of the weasel

like the sunset pic too but needs a slightly different crop I am not sure what but it looks a bit unbalanced if you know what I mean

Thanks for comments folks, I should have waited a moment for the ice cream shot but had the feeling they were going to walk off ahead of me ... most likely though he turned toward me to give her her icecream ... a shot missed!

I think the vegetation ... grass, nettles, gives an idea of size of the weasel.

I'm unsure of the sunset shot, I hesitated in leaving both boats in but in the end decided that I liked it that way ... interested to hear what other think :)

Small

My offering for 'small' is a tiny weasel - lovely little character but a very quick mover, took a bit of time to capture him!

i like this image, perfect in every way, but just that small blade of grass maybe to the left of the weasels eye... is shouting at me.

Reshoot – Nice take on the symmetry theme

Moody – Love the simplicity of #2. Lovely scene

Joy – I’d have probably have liked to have seen their faces as they walked away with the ice creams. Good thinking though.

Small – Captive or not, you did well to capture this one.

Wow, great set of shots Gramps! The only one that's not quite up to scratch (but only compared to the others), is joy, just because it would be better if we could see their faces.

Great work :)

Hi Gramps, catching up on a few.
Like the reshoot, very subtle but definately symmetry.
Moody, both good shots #1 is the better.
Joy - good for theme although as others have said could do with facial expressions.
Small - well captured, good subject

A bit of a comments catch up for me Gramps.

Symmetry reshoot, I really like this, its a wee bit of social commentary/documentary photography. Its well spotted, humourous, colourful and composed. My only small crit, and I know symmetry and not symmetrical was the theme would be to see you having taken a step or two to the left so as the characters would have been more central along the space between the benches.

Joy, I like this too. I don't think we need to see the faces in particular, it tells a story as it is and I think the story telling is an important part of some photographs. Good work.

Small, bang on theme IMHO. I think the viewer can get a sense of scale from the grass and other vegetation around this little creature. The eye contact makes this photograph IMHO. Well lit, its sharp and think the central composition suits the subject, drawing the viewers eye directly to whats important. Iain

Hi Gramps, your tongue in cheek 'symmetry' is hilarious! It would do just as well for random!

Moody, it's the boats for me, it's a very calming shot and I really love the colours and composition.

Joy, who doesn't love an ice cream? I would maybe crop the RHS a little to lose some of the background with the large red faced lady:thinking:

I'm interested in the street photography, just not been brave enough to take photos of strangers yet!!

Small, :clap: :clap: :clap: Just superb, for such a small, fast animal you've done well to catch this chap in focus. More importantly the eyes are sharp, to me nothing else matters(y)

Well still finding it hard to keep motivated with the project and so behind again!
Two weeks images with this offering, both taken during the lead up to the Bristol Harbour Festival.

Straight

Love this little bit of railway line and its old railway cars and new buildings ... I know it curves at the end but I hope that you will indulge me :)

straight.jpg

Letter

'Letter' had me puzzled, could have been a letter in an envelope but where would I find an actual letter of the alphabet large enough be isolated and photographed?
Thanks to HMS Cattistock, berthed in the City for the Bristol Harbour Festival ... the 'M' is painted on the side of the ship.

letter.jpg

Hi, Letter...I don't think this is on theme :D

Nice and minimal. Not a lot to C&C on, though. I guess the WB wasn't an issue here. Not sure if the M is at an agle, but the only thing I'd comment on is it seems a little squiffy.

Cheers.

Back