weekly HeartandSoul 52 in 2019 Challenge Week 115,16,17,18,19,20: Above, Hot,Light,Crowd(ed), Decay, Snappers Choice added

• Thread starter Deleted member 59779
  • Start date
Week 7: Rough times

One of two ideas that I had was to take the rough sleepers in a local town. Last time I went to town the tent was in a derelict shop doorway and had remembered this. When I arrived the first thing I saw was that the doorway had been boarded up. Fortunately I carried on walking and found that they had set up their tent just across the way. behind the tent is a closed post office which like a lot of other places rent space in another local shop. The second picture is the doorway where they were previously residing. Earlier on in the year I remember seeing them in the doorway with just a couple of bin bags and plastic carrier bags. Looks like they have received some help from people or organisations.

Rough Times by Heart&Soul, on Flickr

Sign of the times by Heart&Soul, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator:
Good spot Mandy. Nice detail and sharp. I bet he's looking over at you as he thinks he's been rumbled for fishing without a licence ;)

strange you should say that as this is one of my haunts and there was a bit of police presence on the road more than once and I did wonder why they were about as normally dont see them in this quiet area. Maybe they were having a clamp down. he was in a designated fishing spot. So whether he had a licence or not will remain a mystery. I got my photo thats all I wanted.

Rough times indeed. Some people have rough lives. Here in BCN it's the same story. I don't know the official numbers of rough sleepers but it's high. The two photos represent a sign of the times... boarded up shops and people on the streets.

Two interesting and compelling images Mandy, that fit the theme well.
Both tell an important story about struggles in our society, and are well taken images.
Photographically speaking, I'm leaning towards the second image....I think it's the angle and the inclusion of the bollard, though I like the orange of the tent....it definitely draws ones eye into the image.
Though perhaps I find them quite sad, from a purely human point of view....hard to think that there's a person living there.
It certainly makes one feel fortunate and perhaps guilty, so from a journalistic/documentary point of view, these images are first class.
Well done Mandy!(y)

Good rough images Mandy. It's a really sorry state that there are so many sleeping rough now. Your two images tell a story of Britain as it is right now - a tad broken

Hi Mandy catching up on my comments slowly....

New - 2 great images for the theme both a nicely composed and lit.

Clean - Really like this a ice simple image that fits the theme perfectly love the shadow under the handle.

Open - Nicely composed I like the angle of the lid and the fact its just going out of focus.

Distant - Lovely landscape image fits the theme perfectly lovely detail and tones.

Cold - Had to look at this on Flickr as the link appears to be broken I like the muted tones of this adds to the coldness

Waiting - Yep I bet he did lots of waiting around love the expression on his face.

Rough - Ah I know where these were taken, the area outside the old T J Hughes and Post Office in Kidderminster

First one for me as Tim says the orange really draws you in. I didn't know you were local to me!

Week 8: Object

Running late with this one. Was originally going to use side lighting for this photo, but ran out of time. Tried it first with a couple of photoboards which did nothing what so ever for the image. Eventually settled on old faithful my roll of black paper. really is a very quick image as did not want to be any later posting for the theme. Natural lighting only.

Feline Friend by Heart&Soul, on Flickr

Rough times fits the theme Mandy, like the bright tent too.

nice for rough i think No1 for sure it works very well.

I think there both on theme Mandy. Number two for me though. Tells a story

Rough times indeed. Some people have rough lives. Here in BCN it's the same story. I don't know the official numbers of rough sleepers but it's high. The two photos represent a sign of the times... boarded up shops and people on the streets.

I agree with some of the earlier comments that both fit the theme well, Mandy. There are people having rough times and living rough lives and I think both images show this in a documentary style.

Two interesting and compelling images Mandy, that fit the theme well.
Both tell an important story about struggles in our society, and are well taken images.
Photographically speaking, I'm leaning towards the second image....I think it's the angle and the inclusion of the bollard, though I like the orange of the tent....it definitely draws ones eye into the image.
Though perhaps I find them quite sad, from a purely human point of view....hard to think that there's a person living there.
It certainly makes one feel fortunate and perhaps guilty, so from a journalistic/documentary point of view, these images are first class.
Well done Mandy!(y)

Both speak to the theme Mandy, but I'm with you over your choice for the theme.
Less distractions and the orange of the tent pull the eye in.

Good rough images Mandy. It's a really sorry state that there are so many sleeping rough now. Your two images tell a story of Britain as it is right now - a tad broken

Hi Mandy catching up on my comments slowly....

New - 2 great images for the theme both a nicely composed and lit.

Clean - Really like this a ice simple image that fits the theme perfectly love the shadow under the handle.

Open - Nicely composed I like the angle of the lid and the fact its just going out of focus.

Distant - Lovely landscape image fits the theme perfectly lovely detail and tones.

Cold - Had to look at this on Flickr as the link appears to be broken I like the muted tones of this adds to the coldness

Waiting - Yep I bet he did lots of waiting around love the expression on his face.

Rough - Ah I know where these were taken, the area outside the old T J Hughes and Post Office in Kidderminster

First one for me as Tim says the orange really draws you in. I didn't know you were local to me!

Thanks all for taking the time to look and comment on my photos, much appreciated. Had no time for self indulgence at all this last week. will catch up properly over the weekend.

Lovely image Mandy!

The natural lighting is fantastic and the background works really well....it has the feel of an image that took a long time to set up, so knowing it was relatively quick is all the more impressive!
Nice work Mandy!(y)

Object
I like the textures in the wood, I think you could have shot portrait and lost a bit of the negative space. Good light too.

Who doesn't love a smiley cat - nicely done and works well for the theme

Week 9: Wet

Spent ages blowing bubbles into soapy water, very addictive and took me right back to my childhood when I used to blow bubbles into my drinks with a straw. Can remember getting told off a few times as well.

Blowing Bubbles by Heart&Soul, on Flickr

Brilliant take on Wet, fantastic colours in the bubbles

I really like this Mandy. Loads of patience in trying to get the perfect set of bubbles. Very colourful

Week 10 Free Week
You would think this would be easy but so many time constraints at the moment are taking me away from my photography. So here I am again slightly late and another theme to take. Actually this should be easier to do as we are back to a theme. One can have too much choice. Taken on a black piece of perspex which amazingly I managed not to get any dust on it. Well if there is any there I can't see it on this image. was a few bits on other images I took. Colour is pretty much the same as the rose is, so quite pleased about that as no messing about in LR although I admit to seeing how it looked using the presets. Not using it for SOOC though. Apologies I have not been able to comment lately. Hopefully catch up soon. Moving shortly and so much to do.

A single rose by Heart&Soul, on Flickr

Back