weekly HelenC's 52 for 22 - Week 52: Showcase. Critique welcome

I love these groyne shots Helen. The colour suits it well, giving the sea a moody look contrasting against the calm, clear (mostly clear) sky.

I love these groyne shots Helen. The colour suits it well, giving the sea a moody look contrasting against the calm, clear (mostly clear) sky.
Yes, the colour works well for this one Helen. Nicely done.
That's a lovely picture and it works well for the theme.
Those nice soft colour bands add interest Helen.
Small item against large sea and sky.
I think you made the right decision to stick with colour. I think B&W might have made it all a bit samey...

I like the minimalism of it.
Thanks for dropping by and taking the time to comment. It is always much appreciated.

I seem to have run out of days this week. I did have a trip out a few days ago with the infra-red which didn't herald much of interest but at least I have something to post.
Freston Tower, by the Orwell Bridge.

DSCF1759 by Helen Cannon, on Flickr

Looks interesting location. I like the dark tower and tree set against the rest.

Love the infra red Helen but the foreground (mid foreground?) is a little distracting for me. It seems a little overexposed and keeps pulling my eye away from the tower. I'm wondering if a 16X9 crop might make for a more impactful image? Just my opinion...

Nice shot Helen - I can see what Bill means about the foreground, and would work well, but it doesn't bother me too much

It is interesting how the trees and tower stand out so well in Infra red and the sky has some variation in it, which I like. I'd have been very happy to take this shot.
Now Bill has mentioned it, I think losing a little of the foreground might make for a good composition, but I can't say I would have noticed if he hadn't said so. :)

Looks interesting location. I like the dark tower and tree set against the rest.
Love the infra red Helen but the foreground (mid foreground?) is a little distracting for me. It seems a little overexposed and keeps pulling my eye away from the tower. I'm wondering if a 16X9 crop might make for a more impactful image? Just my opinion...
Nice shot Helen - I can see what Bill means about the foreground, and would work well, but it doesn't bother me too much
It is interesting how the trees and tower stand out so well in Infra red and the sky has some variation in it, which I like. I'd have been very happy to take this shot.
Now Bill has mentioned it, I think losing a little of the foreground might make for a good composition, but I can't say I would have noticed if he hadn't said so. :)
Thanks for the comments. @Darkslinger I totally agree with you now I look at the shot again. I will have a look at cropping but I don't rate it as a shot worth spending too much time over as it's not a "keeper" for me.

Another week flown by and a shot I'm not particularly happy with but need to post. I unexpectedly ended up without any transport for a few days so my intended locations were out of reach. Rather I spent some time out without the camera on a few longer walks. This was taken last minute on my phone in very bright conditions (couldn't actually see what I was taking on the screen!). However, it does represent the majority of the landscape around me at the moment. Due to the lack of rain the farmers aren't drilling/planting and even avoiding ploughing as, I have been told, the ground is so hard it takes extra fuel to pull the plough!

IMG_20220914_125410 by Helen Cannon, on Flickr

I like it :)

Nice depth of field :D

Nicely done Helen - given your description of the brightness, you've done well to control the exposure and keep the detail in the sky.

Nice PoV and a good documentary image of what farmers and the agricultural industry are having to deal with this year. Good take on the theme and looks nice in B&W.

Works well for me Helen. Nice sky and the tractor lines lead us up the hill.
I’d been worrying about the birds starving because of the hard ground. I hadn’t thought about the farmers’ plight.

It's hard being a farmer, the write up highlights some of that. Interesting lines captured.

Pete

I agree with Simon above, you've managed to tame the highlights in the sky to an acceptable level. I was interested in your comments about how the farmer's adapt to the changes in the environment.

Good phone shot Helen. The brightness highlights the dry earth at the front of the pic.

Another rather hectic week. Hopefully things will calm down soon.
I joined a photo scavenger hunt at Blythburgh last weekend and one of the subjects was "looking up"!!

For interest sake I've chosen the church's Jack o'the Clock which dates back to 1682. He used to stand in the tower and strike the hour with the inscription underneath stating "As the hours pass away, So doth the life of man decay."
Apparently, he now only registers the start of services.

PW6A0901 by Helen Cannon, on Flickr

He's an interesting character, very Blackadder (or more accurately Lord Flashheart :D :D :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: ) A great subject for the theme.

Interesting history. Did it strike automatically? clockwork?

It was an automaton so worked mechanically. I think it was on the front of the entrance so would have to work automatically as it was quite high up.

Two good shots Helen
Looking up: definitely ticks the box
Electric: not sure what type of building it is but it's a great shot

Looking up:
Great spot Helen and an interesting history.

Electrical:
I really like this. Lovely composition, light and processing.

That's a good shot Helen.

Pete
Two good shots Helen
Looking up: definitely ticks the box
Electric: not sure what type of building it is but it's a great shot
Looking up:
Great spot Helen and an interesting history.

Electrical:
I really like this. Lovely composition, light and processing.
That is really lovely Helen. It looks pearlescent. Loving the colours and light and nicely composed.
Thanks for dropping by folks. Some people hate Sizewell but in the right conditions it can be a thing of beauty :)

Very nice shots Helen. It's an Ed Sheeran song that I wasn't familiar with. Thanks for sharing.

Nice shots Helen. N02 in particular :)

Lovely shots Helen.
I like the highlighted grass in the foreground in the first.

Back