weekly HelenC's 52 for 22 - Week 52: Showcase. Critique welcome

I think the idea and composition really work, but you were a little unlucky with the light.

As I'm sure I've bored you with in the past, I like my images nice and contrasty, so for me it's a bit flat and if it were mine, I'd push the contrast in post and brighten up the highlights.

Last edited:
Plenty of dust being thrown up. not much like that local to me, much the shame.

Pete

It's a good image Helan, even if it wasn't the one you wanted.

Playing comment catch-up.

Water - This photo stopped me scrolling through the images, it is a great photo with pleasing shadows.

Handles - An interesting back story, I wonder how it's been embellished through the years.

Dusty - I really like the composition with your triangular sections breaking up the image. Is there extra space at the top, I'm wondering how it looks with tree tops fully visible.

I think the idea and composition really work, but you were a little unlucky with the light.

As I'm sure I've bored you with in the past, I like my images nice and contrasty, so for me it's a bit flat and if it were mine, I'd push the contrast in post and brighten up the highlights.
Thanks @Kell - I know what you mean.. I would go back and re edit but its not really a keeper for me so not worth my effort - I'm not very patient when it comes to editing images :)
Plenty of dust being thrown up. not much like that local to me, much the shame.

Pete
Those things do get very dusty indeed, like this image as you caught it well.
It's a good image Helan, even if it wasn't the one you wanted.
Playing comment catch-up.

Water - This photo stopped me scrolling through the images, it is a great photo with pleasing shadows.

Handles - An interesting back story, I wonder how it's been embellished through the years.

Dusty - I really like the composition with your triangular sections breaking up the image. Is there extra space at the top, I'm wondering how it looks with tree tops fully visible.
Thanks @StuartPearson - the harvest shot just has a very flat sky, hence cropping the top out.
Great picture it certainly does meet the theme!

Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.

Same here except it's already been combined and is waiting to be baled.
Weather here is hot and ideal for baling but the baler man hasn't shown yet.
I may have to resort to my other idea if it's not baled soon.

Anyway, plenty of dust there Helen.
This was what I had in mind when the theme was announced, but it always seems to happen when I’m at work! Really like your shot.
Nice rural image, and an idea I had as well (although work got in the way of that). Works for the theme
Yep that does the job nicely!
I was thinking along the same lines initially, as I saw a big tractor turn into a farm yard kicking up a load of dust, but unfortunately I was in the car. It's rained for a couple of days now and all the dust has gone for the moment.
Good shot that ticks the box perfectly!
Despite all your caveats, I think you’ve a great shot there
Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.

Sweet lavender nectar is very attractive to bees.
Its a good shot, with the bee at the top and the stem adds context.

Love the soft muted colour palette on this Helen. Fantastic contrast to the bee .

Bees are tricky, it's as if they vibrate! I really like the composition and use of DOF.

Sweet lavender nectar is very attractive to bees.
Its a good shot, with the bee at the top and the stem adds context.
Food is a lovely image Helen nice clean clear BG sets it right off.
Nicely framed close-up Helen.
Love the soft muted colour palette on this Helen. Fantastic contrast to the bee .
Bees are tricky, it's as if they vibrate! I really like the composition and use of DOF.
That's a beautiful shot Helen.
Lovely bee shot Helen.
Thanks for dropping by and taking the time comment. It is much appreciated.

Apologies for the late submission this week. I 've been rather distracted with a neighbour who fell and is now waiting an operation on a broken femur and trips to the vet with a poorly puss cat who very sadly is now dearly departed :(.
Had a few ideas but no time to instigate. However, I did capture this shot of the internals of a beach hut at a local antiques centre. A rather eclectic selection!

IMG_20220821_153214 by Helen Cannon, on Flickr

Sorry to hear about your cat Helen. Always hard to lose a cherished pet.

A shot of a really interesting collection. I don't know what to look at first...

A very interesting internal shot Helen. The legs draw your eye in. Is that man thinking or looking at the sheep?
Well composed as usual.
Sorry to hear about your at Helen.

Sorry to hear about your cat Helen - ours has also been poorly this week and required vet intervention, but happily seems to be recovering.

This is a fab shot - the legs sticking out of the box make it for me!

Sorry about your cat, it's terrible losing a pet. The image is fantastic, so much to look at - I'd love to have a rummage in there!

Interesting shot - lots to see :)

Sorry to hear about your cat Helen. Always hard to lose a cherished pet.

A shot of a really interesting collection. I don't know what to look at first...

Sorry to hear about your neighbour and very sorry to hear about your cat.

On the shot it brought a smile to my face because of the legs sticking out of the box.

A very interesting internal shot Helen. The legs draw your eye in. Is that man thinking or looking at the sheep?
Well composed as usual.
Sorry to hear about your at Helen.
Sorry to hear about your cat Helen - ours has also been poorly this week and required vet intervention, but happily seems to be recovering.

This is a fab shot - the legs sticking out of the box make it for me!
Thanks @SimonH - glad to hear your cat is on the mend.
Sorry about your cat, it's terrible losing a pet. The image is fantastic, so much to look at - I'd love to have a rummage in there!
Interesting shot - lots to see :)

Thank you very much for for your sympathetic responses. It was a tough decision to make but I firmly believe the right one. He is and will be much missed though :-(

I agree... the legs have it :D

Super mono - I see 11 squares :D

What a great shot Helen. Love the long exposure and the b&w processing.

I like that Helen, the B&W works well on the Image.
What is it for, could it be a cooling inlet pipe.

Pete

I like that Helen, the B&W works well on the Image.
What is it for, could it be a cooling inlet pipe.

Pete
@seaodyssey it's one of two cooling towers for sizewell A which is currently being decommissioned so I assume they will eventually disappear.

Another lovely shot Helen - you do shoot a good seascape.

Excellent Helen. 3 squares for the price of one.
Super mono - I see 11 squares :D
What a great shot Helen. Love the long exposure and the b&w processing.
Another lovely shot Helen - you do shoot a good seascape.
Clean, effective, nothing surplus, great shot
Another top-drawer black and white shot Helen.

Thanks all for the great feedback. Living near the coast certainly helps hone the seascape skills :)

Yet another seascape with a small groyne marker on a very windy day. I usually convert to mono but rather liked the colour bands on this one.

PW6A0869 by Helen Cannon, on Flickr

Those nice soft colour bands add interest Helen.
Small item against large sea and sky.

Back