iPhone 5S/C and iOS7

anyone got any nice wallpapers for the 5s ?

I've not found it particularly buggy. Battery life on iphone 5 has been only issue. Turned off wifi and it solved it. It seems to be imessage that is sucking the life out of it as caret puts it as a big drain after waze. Nothing else has been flagged up as an issue so I mostly keep wifi off. Shame really as I could just leave it on but now it leads to a drain that is double what it was on ios 6.

I've had the odd app disappear on the mini. I did have a load of things running at the time so I closed them down. Keyboard is ok apart from the odd thing where it is suddenly diabolically slow.

Judging by the amount of people having problems with just about every device on iOS 7 using a variety of different apps having re springs, BSOD and even bricking on the macromours forum I'd quite confidently say I think it's iOS at fault.

Suggestions of 7.0.3 due at any time too :) so hopefully a fix is near.

Judging by the amount of people having problems with just about every device on iOS 7 using a variety of different apps having re springs, BSOD and even bricking on the macromours forum I'd quite confidently say I think it's iOS at fault.

Suggestions of 7.0.3 due at any time too :) so hopefully a fix is near.

I haven't seen many reports to back that up, in fact I have just read a report on MacRumours that seems to point it directly at apps that aren't completely compatible with iOS 7 in general and the 64 bit process of the 5s more specifically with regard to the BSOD.

Lagging and unresponsiveness seems to be more widespread though, mostly seen by those with older/less powerful iOS devices.

I haven't seen many reports to back that up, in fact I have just read a report on MacRumours that seems to point it directly at apps that aren't completely compatible with iOS 7 in general and the 64 bit process of the 5s more specifically with regard to the BSOD. Lagging and unresponsiveness seems to be more widespread though, mostly seen by those with older/less powerful iOS devices.

There is some evidence that iOS 7 has more crashes on the 5S, so you could be onto something with regards to the 64-bit capability playing some part.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/10/11/iphone_5s_blue_screen_of_death

However, should this be the case, it would suggest a serious bug or design flaw in the OS or device if apps are able to produce a hard crash at the reported regularity.

Modern OS's are designed to minimise the risk of this happening by running apps in their own protected memory space. My guess is that the new multitasking and possibly inter-app features, such as audio routing are playing a part.

Last edited:
Dave

If you look through the ios7 section and the iPhone section there's around 30 different threads where people are having troubles and it's on iPad 3, mini, 4 and iPhones from 4 through to 5s

That's a big enough spread of devices, and apps for me to look at iOS 7 being the common denominator

Dave

If you look through the ios7 section and the iPhone section there's around 30 different threads where people are having troubles and it's on iPad 3, mini, 4 and iPhones from 4 through to 5s

That's a big enough spread of devices, and apps for me to look at iOS 7 being the common denominator

I went back and looked for the article again (it mentioned the specific apps and processes suspected to be causing it) and after about 15 minutes couldn't find it again :shake:. I think my lack of sleep is catching up on me....

I get crashes and resprings from using safari, mail, Facebook and music, blue screens will come from using iWork apps or sometimes just by unlocking the phone or switching apps.

Care to elaborate :D Device/app usage would be good :)

iPhone 5 - setup from new.
Apps used -
Safari
Mail
Calendar
Camera
Photos
Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Pages
TP
Tapped Out
Clash of Clans
Lloyds Bank
Barclays
Convertbot
Engadget
Flixster
Netflix
Sleep Cycle
Navigon

Use these apps most days. Heavy user. Battery lasts roughly 10 hours. Rarely close apps. Only crashes I've had are Facebook, but it did the same on iOS6. None of this BSOD, resets etc.

My iPad 3 has reset a few times.

Just chanced across one of the articles

Apps on iPhone 5s Crashing at Twice the Rate as on Other iPhone 5 Models

“Anytime there is new hardware or software release, we see issues,” Crittercism CEO Andrew Levy said in an interview. “Inevitably, over time, those issues get resolved.”

Levy said that perhaps the reason the iPhone 5s is seeing more crashes than the equally new iPhone 5c is that, while developers were able to check their apps for compatibility with iOS 7 during several months of beta testing, the new hardware wasn’t available ahead of time. The iPhone 5s packs a new 64-bit A7 chip and an M7 coprocessor, while the 5c is nearly identical, internally, to the iPhone 5.
http://allthingsd.com/20131011/apps...g-at-twice-the-rate-as-on-iphone-5-iphone-5c/

Yeah, I read that

Although it's only my 5s that blue screens. My iPad 3 and our 4s both crash apps and respring after a short period of unresponsiveness. And they aren't 64bit.

These are widely acknowledged bugs now on all the apple forums there's videos on YouTube.

Anyone else having trouble with imessage? It's not working at all now. Can only send as text to other iPhones. Its sits there and hangs with sending for hours. Turned it off and on again and a load of messages I had no idea about came through.

I blocked a mobile spammer so I'm wondering if they've screwed it up somehow so that if you have one blocked number listed it stops working altogether.

Anyone else having trouble with imessage? It's not working at all now. Can only send as text to other iPhones. Its sits there and hangs with sending for hours. Turned it off and on again and a load of messages I had no idea about came through. I blocked a mobile spammer so I'm wondering if they've screwed it up somehow so that if you have one blocked number listed it stops working altogether.

The reset network settings thing solved my iMessage woes.

The reset network settings thing solved my iMessage woes.

Took a turning the phone off and on again after turning imessage off and on again to make it work. Beats me why it just stops working for no reason with no way of knowing it has a problem.

Well I finally took delivery of mine yesterday! :D

No issues so far. One thing that has disappointed me a little is that you cant use airdrop between phone and Mac and vice a versa. Only Mac to Mac and iPhone to iPhone.

Well I finally took delivery of mine yesterday! :D

No issues so far. One thing that has disappointed me a little is that you cant use airdrop between phone and Mac and vice a versa. Only Mac to Mac and iPhone to iPhone.

Being slight pedantic, but AirDrop also works iPhone to iPad and vice versa.

I've had loads of undeliverable message pop ups today. :(

It's airdrop for iOS, I'm hoping further tweaks to the os as it ages will allow it to send to my mac and vice versa.

I think only iPad 4 and mini onwards will airdrop, devices prior to that don't have the dual band needed apparently :(

I have ipad3 and it doesn't work with my 5s

I gotta say, yawl seem pretty calm about it.

just a few :( sad faces??

It'll get fixed, it's nothing that's stopping the world from spinning :)

I agree... but...

If this were Windows or Android, there'd be a horde of people saying how rubbish Google/MS are and that this was totally unacceptable (and probably saying you'd never see this with an Apple product either).

Not trying to start an argument... just saying...

I dunno what you lot are doing but my 4S has had no bother ... ;)

Took a turning the phone off and on again after turning imessage off and on again to make it work. Beats me why it just stops working for no reason with no way of knowing it has a problem.

Turn off iMessage.
Do a network reset in general settings(reboot)
Turn on iMessage.

I dunno what you lot are doing but my 4S has had no bother ... ;)

Turn off iMessage.
Do a network reset in general settings(reboot)
Turn on iMessage.

My iMessage has worked fine since the update :shrug:.

My iMessage has worked fine since the update :shrug:.

I thought mine was. I then discovered a friend with an iphone had been sending texts and I hadn't seen a single one. I had no idea until I tried to send them one and it just sits there saying 'sending' forever unless I send as text. Reset everything and it appeared to work again but I can't trust it now.

Normal sms was fine and I rarely hear from them anyway so I had no idea that imessage was wonked.

some people i know have been affected, others havent.

i had the imessage issue on my 4S (my missus didnt on her 4S) where it would just get stuck as "Sending..." at the top. the imessage off, network reset, imessage on "fix" solved mine.

I thought mine was. I then discovered a friend with an iphone had been sending texts and I hadn't seen a single one. I had no idea until I tried to send them one and it just sits there saying 'sending' forever unless I send as text. Reset everything and it appeared to work again but I can't trust it now.

Normal sms was fine and I rarely hear from them anyway so I had no idea that imessage was wonked.

I get iMessages every day, so if it failed I would notice pretty quickly, luck of the draw I suppose with it.

it does say "Sending" at the top so its fairly obvious. plus you dont get the "delivered" status etc.

But that's only when you are sending.

Unless you check with friends that *might* have sent you an imessage regularly how would you know they had sent one and it hadn't arrived? Unless they follow it up with another method of contact they'd have no idea either as I'm pretty certain iMessage tells them it is delivered regardless of whether the phone at the other end actually picks it up. This is the fundamental issue. Imessage is lying saying a message is being delivered when it isn't. It gets delivered to whatever subsystem generates that but the actual phone doesn't always see it.

But that's only when you are sending.

Unless you check with friends that *might* have sent you an imessage regularly how would you know they had sent one and it hadn't arrived? Unless they follow it up with another method of contact they'd have no idea either as I'm pretty certain iMessage tells them it is delivered regardless of whether the phone at the other end actually picks it up. This is the fundamental issue. Imessage is lying saying a message is being delivered when it isn't. It gets delivered to whatever subsystem generates that but the actual phone doesn't always see it.

same as you wouldnt know if they hadnt actually sent one? statement is a bit confusing really.

imessage tells you its delivered when it hits the other device. tested this recently. same way you get the ... when the other person is typing.

That's very true..

Parts of giff gaff went down a couple of weeks ago, calls and texts for a few hours, I'm like...so what, they'll fix it, a few hours later it was fixed.
The UK boards however went bat**** mental, proper sticking it to em big time.
I know its not the same, giff gaff is a network operator not a phone manufacturer but still, the phone was useless.
Maybe the number of affected handsets is really quite small, a lot less than this thread suggests, I mean you're more likely to complain about a phone fault on a board than nip in and say yours is fine, even though some people have.
I dunno how patient I'd be if the faults were with my laptop and lasted more than a few hours.

Just got my phone this morning and set up a pass code
I have now created a fingerprint and want to use this instead of the pass code
How do I do that please
Thanks
Dave

Just hold your finger on it

Doesn't seem to work for me.
First I slide to unlock, then get the enter pass code page.
If I then press the Home button.....Siri appears.
Do I need to set any options under Settings??
Any help appreciated please

Have you gone into the passcode settings and changed it from passcode to finger print?

Doesn't seem to work for me.
First I slide to unlock, then get the enter pass code page.
If I then press the Home button.....Siri appears.
Do I need to set any options under Settings??
Any help appreciated please

You don't need to slide to unlock, you need to press and release the home button, but still keep your finger on the home button. You are holding the button down too long if Siri is activating.

Back