weekly jamlid's 52 Project 2013 - Week 12 "Direction"

Very original thought and well executed. A bit tightly cropped as said but good colour and focus Jamie.

Like the idea and the colours, like everyone else the crop is a bit tight for me. (y)

Hi Jamie

Gluttony....fab idea , like the colors , the angle of the lipstick, & the sharpness of the sweet balls...(y) I'd be tempted to crop just above the red bit on the lipstick case so losing the finger

Work...I like that....sharp on the numbers , great colors, good angle & a nice tight crop...(y)

So, finally got round to taking my Time photo! I had surgery last week so have spent the time recovering.

I initially wanted to capture the movement of the pendulum of this clock, but it had broken! I decided on capturing the second hand movement instead. I decided to stay away from looking at other people's work as I can imagine there's a few photos like this so wanted to learn from my own mistakes.

I learned that using a long exposure doesn't give the results I want. I expected strong "ghosts" at each second for the duration of the shutter, but it was more of a wave. 30 second exposure seemed to have the strongest ghosts around the 15 second mark!

Instead I opted for using a remote trigger, camera on 1 second exposure with it on rapid fire, shooting in bursts of 5-7 seconds.

I layered the photos in GIMP, then had to cut around the second hand of each layer, invert it, then clear the unwanted space.

The most annoying thing was I placed a black neoprene laptop sleeve underneath the clock. When photographed it showed the white specks in the neoprene really badly so had to do some heavy PP work to remove these.

Went for a tighter crop than initially intended after realising the reflection on the edge of the clock was everything in my room, including myself!

Hi Jamie

Time is just lovely , 2 striking colors , good movement in the 2nd hand( though sounds an awful lot of work to get it ) good angle & very sharp (y) Minor crit would be...the XII being clipped...my OCD wish's it was all inframe to mirror image the letters at the other end of the clock

This has worked really well Jamie - hope you're on the mend. (y)

Well done - you've come out with as cracking image - maybe not the one you intended, but a cracking one nonetheless.

Looks like you've learned a fair bit too, which is great.

Could you have included the dot for the '8' whole rather than chopping it, and the same for the '1'??

Thanks everyone. The critique means a lot to me! Definitely helps me to improve my photography and perhaps look at doing things in ways I wouldn't have thought of. Ill check out changing the crop as per everyone's ideas.

Time shot is superb. Lovely and sharp and the PP work on the second hand is spot on.
Only crit would be the crop (echoing the XII clip) and perhaps some white balance? I could be wrong, but there seems to be a bit of a yellow tint / artificial light to the shot? Nice work though! (y)

This is simple, well executed and it works, really nice :)

BIG UPDATE!

So I fell totally behind on my project.. 4 weeks behind! Determined not to let this fail, I spent the day catching up on all four photos.. so here they are! I've been jotting ideas for the last couple of days with the plan to go out and shoot them today. They didn't all turn out as first expected, but I'm pretty happy.

Week 9 - Juxtaposition
This was such a hard theme! I really struggled with it.. I remembered seeing a building in Sheffield that was really run down, next to a freshly refurbished pub and always thought it stood out well, so I photographed the brickwork between the two.

Week 10 - Letter
This is the gold postbox for Jennifer Ennis in Sheffield!

Week 11 - Electric
Electric.. guitar
My initial plan was to try and capture the vibration of the strings using some high speed flash with my fancy new yongnuo 568-EX but I just couldn't get what I had pictured in my head. I settled for a nice B&W shot instead.

Week 12 - Direction
Another tricky one.. I tried photographing road signs, etc. but just couldn't get anything of interest.. Then I had the idea of the direction of water.. which is generally downwards.

As always, any feedback is welcome! Hopefully this shows anyone that's fallen behind like I did, that you don't need to give up!

Well done for getting back in the race Jamie.....

2 out of the 4 work for me......

Juxtaposition, like this - plenty of contrast between textures, materials, colours - with the regularity of the brickwork separating the 2.

Letter - not much to say about this really - on theme....

Electric - good subject, well lit, well processed, great detail, shallow DOF (could have maybe had a bit more in focus, all the little springs and screws?). Well composed too!

Direction - good idea, the blown sky and the buildings peeking in to the top spoil it for me tbh. Slower shutter might have given the water a less static look too.

Hi Jamie

Juxta - good shot of colours, textures and materials. On theme. Just a little skewed I think.

Letter - on theme and good idea to go for the gold one. sharp but i would crop a bit off top to get rid of the line.

Electric - seems popular subject for this theme. Like the focus and the lighting. Those 3 white spots (reflections) bottom rigth I would remove.

Direction - another good idea for theme, but agree with Graham that exposure is not so good - presumably that is snow on the LH slope but all detail lost

Well done on the catch up :clap:

Great catch up Jamie (y)

Juxtaposition - Sad... but I really like brickwork, the verticals are doing my nut in but like the old against new

Letter - Agree needs crop top and right for me, on theme though

Electric - I like that, eye drawn to the pickup, like the B&W and how the rear of the shot blends into the background

Direction - Agree with above.. maybe a tighter crop would help ??

Again a good catch up

Thanks so far you three! :) Great feedback as always. I must get round to catching up on providing feedback to others..

With that first image, can someone please try straightening it for me? It seems whatever I try I can't get it to look right.. I follow the lines Lightroom gives me while rotating an image but it still looks off.

With that first image, can someone please try straightening it for me? It seems whatever I try I can't get it to look right.. I follow the lines Lightroom gives me while rotating an image but it still looks off.

Hi Jamie - It's not "straighteneing" as such it needs, it's the verticals that are not alligned, you need to use a distort tool (In PS or GIMP), put up a grid to give you verticals, straighten it to one of the verticals, and then pull the corner to get the others right. You will lose some of the area so shoot wider if you think you'll need to do this ever.

fullscreencapture270320.jpg

Google converging verticals for more info. (y)

Hi Jamie

I recognise that waterfal fountain thingy...neat idea ...sky's a little blown ,maybe a filter would have helped ? & a lower POV would have probably hidden the building at the back but I do like the colors in the tiles & that you can see the water coming down :)

Juxta....the 3 differing texture are playing havoc with my eye's but as it;s so on theme I'll let you off :)

Electric...god POV, mono works well & , yeah...like it :)

Back