weekly jamlid's 52 Project 2013 - Week 12 "Direction"

Here's my week 5! I took this on the way back from Lincoln to Sheffield this morning. Pulled over into a nearby layby after spotting this tree and went for a walk through a muddy farmer's field to take this!

It's certainly windy today!!

Now the shot wasn't difficult for this (except trying to stay on my feet!) but the PP was difficult. So many different options.. I tried not to over-think it.

As always, critique is welcome!

Last edited:
Limited time, I'm afraid, so quick comments...

Gravity, on theme and liking the processing.

Wild, on theme but a bit busy. Bit/lot closer, maybe.

Space, cracker and one I was going for :bat: small cloud on the left to balance it out, maybe?

Cheers.

I'd say if the theme wasn't space this week - then I'd want a bit more room around the tree... But I can see why you've placed it where you have, bold move which works well given the theme (y)

Liking the rays coming down from top left.

Lovely image, bang on theme - certainly portrays space.

I think the PP is spot on too! (y)

thats a great shot for wild love the light streaming in from the left :clap:

Hi Jamie

Week 4....the thorns are nice n sharp & good natural color....:) only slight crit is a touch too central for my likes

Week 5....very calming feel to the scene ,a hint of tones works well as opposed to B&W & conveys the theme perfectly (y)

Really like the space shot! Nice use of negative space and PP work is nice and subtle too. Nice work - must admit, this was going to be my approach to the theme too!

Agree, great shot, good light and offset tree. Well in theme and well taken.

Hi Jamie,

Spaced is great. I know what you mean about "over-thinking" the PP and you've done it justice there. Agree with Graham about your composition being bold, and I think it really works. A good example of breaking the "thirds" rule and still having a great shot. Beautiful sky.

Ian.

Well here's my Week 6 photo! Better late than never ;)
I spent the first half the week not at work and the second half of the week too busy at work to take my photo!

I work for a small ISP basically building/maintaining networks and servers so I spend a lot of time looking at these things (and more time staring confused at a terminal!) so thought this would be suitable!

This was taken in our office comms room a few nights ago. 1/50, f4, ISO200. It was a tight fit to get the camera into the cabinet in between the patch cables so could only shoot at 17mm so it's quite a big crop. One flash on the floor pointing directly upwards, a second flash held in my left hand above the shot pointing downwards.

I really like your 'Work' photo, the dof and selective colour works really well :)

Last time I was poking around in one of those we didn't ahve the /1000 on the end. I feel old (or maybe my company was just cheap!) :D

Really like the idea, well executes, with the focus point and depth working well.

Yep - good shot Jamie, like the colours, the repetition of the cables, the green lights, the angle..

Few bright spots on the cables, just enough DOF to span the 103 to 108 numbers. I might have thought about cloning out or darkening down the three lighter things in the gap at the end of the cabinet?

But works really well as it is too. (y)

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Overbez: excellent idea, I like your thinking. It's that kind of attention to detail I need to work on. Ill try that out and see how it comes out :)

Hopefully shooting the gluttony photo tonight!

So here's my week 7! Gluttony.

My wonderful girlfriend Katie offered to model for this one! We had a lot of fun taking this :)

The shot was taken with two flashes in line with me, either side of me, f4, flashes on 1/16. I had a bit of problems with the flashes going off randomly (right flash on a cactus v2), left flash on optical slave. I'm going to have to do some testing to see what's causing problems, but it was either going mental on its own or not firing when triggered!

PP on this was a tight crop, cloned out a few stray balls, some gaussian blur on the skin and mucked about with the colours curves a bit.

Very nice shot, great idea.

Week 6 - Nice angle on that shot, DOF works well too - good work! (y)
Week 7 - Nice idea also, lovely and sharp! Maybe cropped a little tight on the right hand side though? Like it!

What a great idea and you did a spot on job with it, too.

I'm so lacking inspiration for this one, and things like this aren't making it any easier. :)

nice take on the theme, love the colour
maybe a little crop off the bottom (y)

I bet you had fun with this. Girlfriends are very useful models. Good stuff

Love the detail and colours but would like to see a slightly wider crop on mouth and less of the bottom of the shot.

I saw a picture like this and thought of trying it, but not having a macro lens put me off. I will definately have a go sometime and hope it comes out as good as this.

Great shot and take on theme, just wondering why the lipstick has water drops on it?

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Ill give it a different crop and see what it looks like :)

The water was just from when we wet the lipstick to dry and get the hundreds and thousands to stick! Ended up having to use lip gloss as a glue to get it to stick.

Glad I got this photo out of the way before today as I had surgery last night. Currently replying from the lovely hospital bed. This might make next week's different!!

Oh and I didn't have a macro lens :) it's my canon 17-55 f2.8, which is suh an amazing lens!! The crop is just quite a big one.

So would people recommend breaking the aspect ratio to get more width in but remove the thumb? If I move the pic much higher ill get the bottom of the nostrils in the shot.. :-/

So would people recommend breaking the aspect ratio to get more width in but remove the thumb? If I move the pic much higher ill get the bottom of the nostrils in the shot.. :-/

Great job on this one, the colours and detail are spot on. A really different take on the weeks theme.

You're lucky it was a tight crop as that's the only thing I dislike about it. Too close to the corners of the lips, and need either more fingers holding the lipstick, or none at all. Square(er) crop may work well here?

And yeah - break the aspect ratio if you need to. One thing I like Picasa for is the cropping feature. You can try a different crop and then go back later and re-crop it. And you don't loose the original.

Back