^Joe's Photo 52, abstract, pair, safe.

Name
Joe
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

Very new to this photography, but I feel I've got the basics almost covered.

So I had a few ideas re:record; Vinyl records, record buttons, etc. But I thought I would capture what makes a record.

Black and white_9 by ^Joe, on Flickr

I'd like to know how to turn the green into a greyscale, but I don't have the software just yet.

Hope this post is in line with the rules.

Regards
Joe

edit, here is the catch up - trying to complete the missing weeks.

WEEK 2 - NEW
Up early on holiday to catch the new day in a photo;

Torba 003 by ^Joe, on Flickr

Last edited:
Great start Joe!

Brilliant if your new to photography and excellent use of DOF... you've caught the keys at a great angle!

If you have an 500D did you not get a disk with the camera... that will have canon's digital photo professional on it... which is a fab editing piece of software... much less daunting than photoshop... give that a whirl as you will be able to easily change your image into monochrome on this! It's all I actually use as I find it has all the right functions and easy to use which I like... I hate when things are more complicated than you actually need!

Mark

Very nice shot Joe. I should be getting my 500D next week. Hope my photo's come out as good as this one.

Hiya Joe

I have just seen your thread, so welcome to the Photo52 and what a cracking start too.

As Mark said, great depth of field and I love the angle at which you have captured this shot.

Well done and I look forward to keeping track of your project.

Cheers

Dawn :)

Hi, Joe, record is a nice and I like the colour photograph of (mainly) black and white.

I'd prefer if the green wasn't there and I'd like to see the strip across the top right removed.

Nice angle, as well.

Nice story to work, but background is a little cluttered.

Cheers and keep up the good work...(y)

Hi Andy,

Thanks alot for the input. I would have liked the green gone too, maybe just to grayscale, with the rest as it was.

I completely agree re the clutter, I double checked it on my phone and was drawn to the back. Bring on next week :)

Thanks

Hi Joe

I get what you mean by your photo explanation... but I think it would suit a home or a time theme much better. Maybe a shot to keep up your sleeve for a future theme.

The shot itself is great... but it just does not shout the theme to me at all... sort of the opposite of the theme

Mark

Joe, just stopping by to say hi and i think your Record is awesome...that a great DOF (y)

as for Work.... time was invented so we can be late, just like money was invented so Bank managers actually got to meet real people...the gold is a bit glaring because of the blur i guess... have you tried switching to mono on your camera if you don't have the software installed... though doing it in PP allows extra contrast control etc...

keep up the good work Joe...

Kev (y)

Hi Joe,

Without reading the explanation I too didn't see the connection to the work theme, and agree with Mark that this would be a great shot for a 'time' theme.

I find myself being drawn to the reflection on the face of the watch and the background is quite busy, although I like the blurry effect.

As for your question about another go at this ..... there are a number of us who post more than one photo for a theme .... or different interpretations of the theme. So go for it .... if you want to post another photo, I look forward to seeing same.

The main thing is you enjoy your project.

Cheers

Welcome to the 52s, and two well executed shots, really hope you enjoy your shiny new camera :0)

HI Joe & welcome to the madhouse of 52'er's :LOL:

2 great shots to start your project as well....use of DOF & the angle on Record work really well...nice shot (y)

Work......really like the idea & execution for this one ,the splash of color on your cuff links (think thats what they are ?).Shame about the slight intrusion of the candle & something to the left but we all have issues at some point with backgrounds :D

Great start & look forward to seeng your next shots :clap:

Hi Joe,

Just found your 52 thread - welcome to the mad house!

I like the Record shot, a slightly tighter crop to remove the top left strip and the green BG would be good, but that's a minor comment against what is a nice shot.

I'm with the others on the Work shot in that it's not saying work. I'm not sure that the background is too cluttered, but the clock in the BG isn't required and would help if it wasn't there.

Your 2nd Blur is cetrainly a blur, but possibly too blurred as you cannot make out what it is. The glasses shot is a good idea, but I'd rather some PP work to make the image through the glasses sharp and everything around it blurred, ie your eye sight is blurred without the glasses!

I've subscribed to your thread now so I wont miss out on your future weeks.
Are you going to try and catch up with the earlier weeks?

I also see that you're south Derby, we're having a 52ers get together in a few weeks if you fancy calling in; check out the link below.

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the comment - appreciated. I agree withyou on them all, although I quite like how I have caught the ring :LOL:

Ah a meet, excellent!! I'll have a look through and get my name down as I'd be interested in some technical pointers. I am away from the 12th though, so will keep that in mind.

Thanks again.

Hi, Joe, #1, I really like the red dot on the rear lft. Nice idea; I'd like to see something inside the glassess that was sharp??

#2, is well composed and I suspect a B&W conversaion may look decent.

Cheers.

Hi Joe

Good luck with making something inside the glasses sharp! I had a similar idea for blur and spent about an hour trying... although you might be more successful than my attempt which I gave up and completely deleted after a while... I also tried to get the background sharp and the glasses sharp.... but with what you see through them blurred... but that never worked either... I'm sure there is an image like this but I've a feeling it means combining two shots and some clever PP which is not really my style of photography... Im a bit like you seem to be... I like to get it in the camera! I'm sure there are a few on here who could do a great job with the idea! Just not me!

Great work so far... I like the coin shot!

Mark

Hi Joe,

Both great ideas for 'blur'. However, with the first image ..... I can see the idea you were aiming for .... but I think it would have been better if you had lowered the angle, i.e., capturing the background focal point through the glasses. No need for 2 images combined as Mark suggested.

I like your 2nd blurred shot .... and if I am not mistaken .... from reading the title of the photo ... the image is of a blurred 'ring' not a 'coin' :D Well done on this one ..... especially as it is SOC.

Keep up the great work!

Cheers

Very true Mark. I can always have another go, but it's difficult to find an interesting background, when laying the glasses down.

No PP other than trimming from me :)

Thanks for the comments, it's a diamond ring though, not a coin :LOL:

------

Thanks for the comments everyone else, feel free to play with the secong shot to B&W, as I've nt learnt such an advanced PP yet :LOL:

Last edited:
^Joe said:
Keeping the exposure open for a long..... TIME

This was 88 seconds at f11, should I have dropped to f8 or something, to allow for a quicker shutter, and a blacker sky? As it was pitch black at the time.

:D

That's a really nice shot Joe, I like the perspective

Blacker sky you could do with a wider aperture and a shorter shutter. You could also have used a smaller aperture, given the differing brightness of the car lights and the ambient/light pollution.

Back