weekly Jonzilla's 52 Week 5 Smoke

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm a late arrival so have some catching up to do.

My 1st is

"linear"

12395564624_f2b6b4d7b5_b.jpg

Lovely lines and well photographed.

:wave: Jon, that's a fine start (y) A very pleasing image, the edge of the paper looks sharp, spacing good, well executed :)

Last edited:
Beautiful shot :clap: How on earth did you get the paper to stay in that position long enough to photograph it?

So I havn't done 'play' yet but have just completed 'close'.

The idea was to show a dusty old book being closed and cloud of dust shooting away from it. Unfortunately I didn't have a dusty old book so I used what I had which was flour.
I was hoping that the flour would give a sense of motion but I don't think it worked. Bit disappointed but still loads more to do.

Anyway I have two finals as I couldn't choose between them. These are both multiple images layered and blended together in photoshop to make the flour cloud bigger.

Which do you prefer?

Closed book
12439286255_d6661a3cfd_z.jpg

Closed book 2
12439782624_e991a5cd9b_z.jpg

EDIT: And now there is this one which is just a single shot but I love the way the flour makes a "wave"

12440173874_f4ae2159f9_z.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Jon, your linear shot was very good and i love the 3 pics for close it is fascinating how the flour has made a wave, well caught
nice processing too

Good thinking with the flour Jon, I looked at them before reading your post, I wondered how you'd achieved the effect (y)

Last one for me, as you say, that 'wave' really makes the image (y)

Linear: I really like this shot. Its simple, minimal and very effective. Good work!

Close edit: brilliantly captured.

Nice first couple of images matey - Linear is excellent - nice and clear and well lit (y)

The 'close' one is a nice take on the theme - I prefer the shot with the hand closing the book :)

Nice first couple of images matey - Linear is excellent - nice and clear and well lit (y)

The 'close' one is a nice take on the theme - I prefer the shot with the hand closing the book :)
:agree: The hand gives a sense of the book closing, whilst the other two give more of an impression of it spontaneously exploding. Or maybe that's just me...........

Last edited:
Super shots. My vote would go with the one with the hand in it. The addition of the "dust" adds a sense of motion to it. Your mono conversion really suits the image as well. Nicely done.

:agree: The hand gives a sense of the book closing, whilst the other two give more of an impression of it spontaneously exploding. Or maybe that's just me...........

Yea. Originally wasn't going to put the one with my hand in. But I thought it makes it look like its being closed. While the others look like something is gushing out of it lol.

nice lines for your first there,

the idea for close is exactly the idea I had in my head for the theme, think it needs the hand in the shot, so the 2nd for me there. Great job there. (y)

The sense of motion from the flour really adds impact. I prefer the one with the hand as it helps to tell the story. Great b and w conversion. Well done. :clap:

Hi Jon

sorry to have missed you so far....a belated welcome from me :wave:

Linear....love that image , the gentle curves ,the differing shades from white through dark grey...... :clap: only minor niggle would be the line about 1/3 the way up on the rhs...maybe it's the edge of something ? I'd also love to know how you got the paper to stay in place ??

Close....difficult to chose between the images...lovely processing on all of them but think #2 just pushes ahead as the hand adds to the theme ...book being closed :clap:

Hi Jon

Loving that Bubble image ,great idea , well lit on the bottle with the bubbles inside & great use of pp ( ? ) for the big bubbles :clap:

Little niggles........the darker shadow on the bottom of the hand & the sliver of bracelet/watch thingy just creeping in to shot on the rhs?

12544775453_2559cbda30_z.jpg

Hi Jon

Loving that Bubble image ,great idea , well lit on the bottle with the bubbles inside & great use of pp ( ? ) for the big bubbles :clap:

Little niggles........the darker shadow on the bottom of the hand & the sliver of bracelet/watch thingy just creeping in to shot on the rhs?

Hows that?

Back