weekly Kerioaks 2013-52 - Electrickery added (post 150 Page 5)

Name
Christine
Edit My Images
Yes
Week 1 - Sin this post
Week 2 - Season
Week 3 - Gravity
Week 4 - Wild - Post 82 Page 3
Week 5 - Space - Post 103, Page 4
Week 6 - Work - Post 128, Page 5
Week 7 - Gluttony - Post 128, Page 5
Week 8 - Time - Post 140, Page 5
Week 9 - Juxtaposition, Post 140, Page 5
Week 10 - Letter, Post 140, Page 5
Week 11 - Electrickery - Post 150 Page 5

Murder In the Woods​
IMG_5739.jpg

My first thoughts for sin was chocolate but I decided that was a necessity not a sin, drink - same problem in fact nearly everything I thought of came up as necessities so eventually came up with this

Last edited:
Great first shot! Like the detail you have gone to with the blood on the back logs too.

I like this, great interpretation and loving the colours and the lightings great with the focus on the axe. My only minor gripe is the head area of the body being close to the colour of the logs and at the same time looks too blurry so it kind of merges?

I know that you've used the depth of field to have the background slightly out of focus but the heads distracting me for some reason?

Thanks Puckers - I had "blood" everywhere ! Still have half a panful and wondering what to do with it

Thanks for your critique Paul - the only think I can think of is that the "not quite sunllight but brightish" was shining on my hair - this is my first ever published self portrait by the way as it is the wrong side of the camera for me. I can now describe my hair as "log coloured" :)

Here is an edit with hair slightly darkened - and a bigger hole added to it

IMG_5739b.jpg

Nice idea, but the head area does distract me. Originally I thought you had attempted to clone out the head.

I really like the photo and a great take on the theme well done :)

The only thing like others have said is your head blends into the logs should have faces the camera with a blank expression, creepy, very well done

That looks like a Billboard for a new Horror film (y) as already mentioned the head isn't prominent enough so remove it completely leaving some blood or shoot the head separately and add it so it's sat next to the stump looking into the camera eyes open screaming.....:cool: something like Nick T did in the 2010 52's here

Great start and looking forward to your next one.

Errr, hello...:nuts:

Great interpretation with some cracking props!

I like the muted colours and the axe/blood look very convincing.

I'd prefer a closer take so the tree wasn't in the frame and I'd like to see the body a bit closer to the axe.

Overall, :clap: from me.

Umm, there's an Australian expression that's appropriate I think: Ripper!

I think you've done a fantastic job on this Christine. Great colours and light and I think the way you have interpreted the theme is brilliant. I look forward to seeing more.

Really impressive Christine. Agree with all positive comments previously.

I really like the photo and a great take on the theme well done :)

Thank you

The only thing like others have said is your head blends into the logs should have faces the camera with a blank expression, creepy, very well done

If I could have got someone to lay in the mud for me I would have done but I just don't do self portraits :)

That looks like a Billboard for a new Horror film (y) as already mentioned the head isn't prominent enough so remove it completely leaving some blood or shoot the head separately and add it so it's sat next to the stump looking into the camera eyes open screaming.....:cool: something like Nick T did in the 2010 52's here

Thanks - maybe this is a feminine take on a murder scene rather than a totally gory one:) I would probably have done body bits if I had someone happy to be in front of camera but no one available and both cat and dog refused, were more interested in the "blood". Will have a look at Nick T's picture

Great start and looking forward to your next one.

Errr, hello...:nuts:

Great interpretation with some cracking props!

I like the muted colours and the axe/blood look very convincing.

I'd prefer a closer take so the tree wasn't in the frame and I'd like to see the body a bit closer to the axe.

Overall, :clap: from me.

Thanks, will keep in mind if I do a reshoot

Umm, there's an Australian expression that's appropriate I think: Ripper!

Thank you

I think you've done a fantastic job on this Christine. Great colours and light and I think the way you have interpreted the theme is brilliant. I look forward to seeing more.

Thank you

Wow... Nice one Christine, minor crit as others, I really like the composition, low pov and the dof picking up the axe, and what a great idea, really look forward to your next shots (y)

Thank you

Really impressive Christine. Agree with all positive comments previously.

Thank you

~~
Thanks everyone, your comments and responses have really helped spur me on for this challenge, it is a very long time since I have seen so many C&C's to one of my pictures and makes me think I should have started the challenge section earlier :D

Hi Christine.....WOW...what an entrance to the project (y)
Think I aree with most points already mentioned....I actually like the distance between the axe & you , the focus on the axe is spot on ,fab detail in the blood on the axe & your hand & the logs....the only thing I'd say is to maybe crop the space to the left og the tree....other than that just a mahooosive (y) from me

Really looking forward to seeing more from you , you've set your standard very high :clap:

Hi Christine,

You're certainly off to a great start! It's a very dark take on the theme... I too would have liked to see a closer version without the tree and with the whole body in the frame, but I have to say that they way you've shot it makes it feel very real. Creepy, but in a good way.

I can't wait to see more of your work.

Excellent start nice bit of thought there, glad you never went with chocolate look forward to seeing the rest of your 52

Hi Christine,

You're certainly off to a great start! It's a very dark take on the theme... I too would have liked to see a closer version without the tree and with the whole body in the frame, but I have to say that they way you've shot it makes it feel very real. Creepy, but in a good way.

I can't wait to see more of your work.

Thanks Natalie - I am not exactly known for dark and creepy in the editing threads people seem to think I like fairies and pretty bits for some reason

Excellent start nice bit of thought there, glad you never went with chocolate look forward to seeing the rest of your 52

Thank you - difficult to go with chocolates when they don't last long enough to get photographed :)

What a creative (if not a wee bit disturbing ;)) take on the theme Christine :LOL:
I like the thought that has obviously went into this. It tells a story which i think grabs the viewers attention. It took me a few seconds to look around the scene, taking in all the detail which works really well.
A dark subject but on the flipside of that, wonderful colour tones in the image, i really like this. Iain

Hi Christine, welcome to the crazy house.

WOW what a start, I agree with Iain about it being slightly disturbing but 10/ 10 for effort :clap:
I have issues with the head too, not enough detail, in a sick way I want to see more detail.

Kerioak said:
My first thoughts for sin was chocolate but I decided that was a necessity not a sin, drink - same problem

I think we're going to get along this year, not that I have a drink problem but I do enjoy the odd splash if brandy to accompany my choccie diet :)

What a creative (if not a wee bit disturbing ;)) take on the theme Christine :LOL:
I like the thought that has obviously went into this. It tells a story which i think grabs the viewers attention. It took me a few seconds to look around the scene, taking in all the detail which works really well.
A dark subject but on the flipside of that, wonderful colour tones in the image, i really like this. Iain

Thanks Iain, pleased it took you time to look around, that is always a good sign - I think

Hi Christine, welcome to the crazy house.

WOW what a start, I agree with Iain about it being slightly disturbing but 10/ 10 for effort :clap:
I have issues with the head too, not enough detail, in a sick way I want to see more detail.

I think we're going to get along this year, not that I have a drink problem but I do enjoy the odd splash if brandy to accompany my choccie diet :)

Thanks Marsha - chocolate and gin or coffee and brandy - sounds good to me, shame we cannot meet up to share as one or both of us would have to drive - have to do it via cyberspace.
~~~~~~~~~

For all those who wanted a slightly more bloodthirsty edit and cropped etc - here is a slightly different version but still fairly restrained I think.

Should I change my original version for this one?

IMG_5737.jpg

Brilliant interpretation of the theme. I think I prefer first one personally as more to look at, No 2 provides more mystery as surroundings less visible.

Oooo that's gruesome, I hope there's no coppers looking at this :puke:

Kerioak said:
Thanks Marsha - chocolate and gin or coffee and brandy - sounds good to me, shame we cannot meet up to share as one or both of us would have to drive - have to do it via cyberspace.

I'll let you keep the gin :puke: everything else is fair game!

Number 2 for me Christine! The hair is better than the original (not dissing your hair colour ;)) and I don't like the crop in #3! Great idea and well executed.

Certainly the 2nd version for me, the head blended in too much on the the first. A great idea and well done on doing it justice.

Number 2 for me Christine! The hair is better than the original (not dissing your hair colour ;)) and I don't like the crop in #3! Great idea and well executed.

2nd version is a belter! Like it.

Thank you all - especially for picking my favourite of the edits so far. Maybe I should darken my hair colour a little (my head, not the picture) :D

2nd version for me too. The first image seemed to have everything going on in the middle of the frame. Looks like a lot of effort went into creating the scenes so well done!

Ian.

great idea for the theme.. like the autumnal tones in the scene.. think I prefer version 2 also, like the gory detail on the bloody axe

2nd version for me too. The first image seemed to have everything going on in the middle of the frame. Looks like a lot of effort went into creating the scenes so well done!

Ian.

Thanks Ian - think I am getting confused as there there three versions up and I wonder if people are preferring the headless version

great idea for the theme.. like the autumnal tones in the scene.. think I prefer version 2 also, like the gory detail on the bloody axe

Thanks Michelle - not sure about autumnal - it was cold, wet and muddy rather than crisp and dry - or did you mean the colours :) I still have lots of "blood" in the fridge, am not quite sure what do do with it

Great first shot, although I like the cropped, gorier version even better!

You've obviously gone to a lot of trouble for this shot. Keep it up :)

Thanks Andrew - and welcome to TP

Fabulous colours, theme and composition. A lot of work and a very high standard. Excellent.

... and 'I've' got a horrible mind?

I do prefer the first version. I love the overall composition, and how the crisp the axe and bloody stump are, but as others have said, the head is a little indistinct, with the hair blending into the background and the floor a little.

I still prefer it with the head on though.:puke:

Really like the idea for this one. I prefer the first one though, not so in your face with it. Like a few others the only bit I didn't like was the hair. At first it looked like a bad attempt to clone out the face! Doesn't detract too much from a great image though.

Fabulous colours, theme and composition. A lot of work and a very high standard. Excellent.

Thank you

... and 'I've' got a horrible mind?

<snip>

I still prefer it with the head on though.:puke:

:D :LOL: maybe it takes one to recognise one :naughty:

I prefer the head on as well, not quite so blatent

Really like the idea for this one. I prefer the first one though, not so in your face with it. Like a few others the only bit I didn't like was the hair. At first it looked like a bad attempt to clone out the face! Doesn't detract too much from a great image though.

Thanks - was the back of my head - full of leaves etc - hope my cloning skills are better than that ;):)

Back