weekly Kerioaks 2013-52 - Electrickery added (post 150 Page 5)

I have a shot planned for this which I still hope to do but happened to look out of the window this morning and saw this poor thing in the rain - hardly the picture of health. It was eating the sunflower seeds the nuthatch had emptied out of the feeder. This is a "grab" shot taken before the dog and fox spotted each other, don't want it around because of my poultry but cannot help but feel sorry for it

IMG_5912.jpg

Last edited:
Bird pic is beautiful! Really nice capture - would like to see the original pre PS shot too!
As for the other pic, that's grim! Poor thing!

Wild is bang on theme, almost too bang on theme. Poor thing.

Great capture Christine, well done :clap:

WOW.. Thats a great shot Christine. Tragic and sad. Not how we visualise foxes at all.

Thanks for sharing again. :)

Its a good capture but does make uncomfortable viewing I am sure the poor thing won't be around much longer to bother your chickens

Bird pic is beautiful! Really nice capture - would like to see the original pre PS shot too!
As for the other pic, that's grim! Poor thing!

Thanks Matt

Wild is bang on theme, almost too bang on theme. Poor thing.

Great capture Christine, well done :clap:

Thanks Dave, have to admit was more luck - s/he was in the right place and I managed to poke camera through curtains without her seeing

WOW.. Thats a great shot Christine. Tragic and sad. Not how we visualise foxes at all.

Thanks for sharing again. :)

Thanks Carl, unfortunately there are a lot like that, The daughter of the Dobe in my avatar caught and killed one in my poultry run a few years ago who was in a similar condition

Its a good capture but does make uncomfortable viewing I am sure the poor thing won't be around much longer to bother your chickens

Very uncomfortable viewing, I am so uncomfortable about it that I have overcome my dislike of having foxes around and contacted Sussex Wildlife for their help with it. If I had the equipment I would shoot it if I thought I could kill it without a qualm, but I hate the idea of leaving it to suffer if something can be done

Strewth! Looking a bit scabby!.....but spot on for the theme IMHO
Perhaps a bit of nr would help this shot?

Thanks Chris, it has had a lot of NR - was shot though a mucky window with rain drops on it, though the rain on a very dull morning, I could possibly do a bit more with the background but I don't like looking at it

That is a terrible image Christine - (no problems with you posting it - but it's taken me a while to get round to commenting on it). It's in a pretty sorry state and I think you've done the right thing to contact a welfare society. Whether they can do anything or not is another matter.

On a photography side - I'm not sure I'd want to see a pin sharp image here anyway, and you've cut his tail off too. But as you said it was a grab shot. But it's certainly on theme though.

Hi Christine,
Bang on theme with quite a thought provoking image.
Nature can be cruel sometimes, can't it?

You have done well here with what as you said was a grab shot. I feel it's cropped a little too tight, maybe a wider view would tell more of the story by way of location.

sad to see it in that state, hope the welfare society can find it.. certainly fits the theme and tells the story :(

Glad you have contacted a Welfare Society Christine, it also took me a good while to get around to commenting, sadly a reminder of natures reality.

As Michelle says, fits the theme and tells a story. Most crit already covered but you did well to catch a grab shot.

Hi Christine, a few weeks behind, sorry.

Season, what clever PP, well done. Obviously everyone has mentioned the issues but I'm quite sure it's a nightmare trying to get them the same size.

Gravity, your little comedy sketch made me chuckle. Loving the bird shot, that'll make a nice Christmas card (y)

Wild, what a sad looking creature :crying: Obviously it's not nice seeing such a beautiful animal looking so bad but nature is cruel. You did well to catch the shot at all and good pp work again.

That is a terrible image Christine - (no problems with you posting it - but it's taken me a while to get round to commenting on it). It's in a pretty sorry state and I think you've done the right thing to contact a welfare society. Whether they can do anything or not is another matter.

On a photography side - I'm not sure I'd want to see a pin sharp image here anyway, and you've cut his tail off too. But as you said it was a grab shot. But it's certainly on theme though.

Thanks Graham, I got three shots in as it was behind a bird feeder pole, changing settings between each shot (camera always left in manual mode) and this was the best of them

Hi Christine,
Bang on theme with quite a thought provoking image.
Nature can be cruel sometimes, can't it?

You have done well here with what as you said was a grab shot. I feel it's cropped a little too tight, maybe a wider view would tell more of the story by way of location.

Thanks Iain - yes, nature can be very cruel to animals and people

sad to see it in that state, hope the welfare society can find it.. certainly fits the theme and tells the story :(

Thanks Michelle - apparently they are patient enough to sit out and wait for it and then toss the medicated bait to the right animal as we have a lot of foxes around here by the night sounds and tracks they made in the snow.

Glad you have contacted a Welfare Society Christine, it also took me a good while to get around to commenting, sadly a reminder of natures reality.

As Michelle says, fits the theme and tells a story. Most crit already covered but you did well to catch a grab shot.

Thanks Dave, agree it is a difficult one to comment on and look ag

Hi Christine, a few weeks behind, sorry.

Season, what clever PP, well done. Obviously everyone has mentioned the issues but I'm quite sure it's a nightmare trying to get them the same size.

Gravity, your little comedy sketch made me chuckle. Loving the bird shot, that'll make a nice Christmas card (y)

Wild, what a sad looking creature :crying: Obviously it's not nice seeing such a beautiful animal looking so bad but nature is cruel. You did well to catch the shot at all and good pp work again.

Thanks Marsha - Season, at least with the critique I got I will work much harder at getting them the same size next time. Gravity - you know know what my drawing skills are :D

Awwweeee poor thing :(

Well spotted and nicely caught, a tad noisy but with shots like this that's more than acceptable for me - Nice one (y)

Thanks Dean, I just checked the ISO which was 1600 and with other conditions noise was almost inevitable I think :)

Wild really is on theme, quite harrowing image you have captured there. - as others have said, probably wouldn't want to see this in good light, low ISP and pin sharp!

Reminds me of when our dog caught mange from the local foxes, nasty!

Wild really is on theme, quite harrowing image you have captured there. - as others have said, probably wouldn't want to see this in good light, low ISP and pin sharp!

Reminds me of when our dog caught mange from the local foxes, nasty!

Thanks for looking and commenting Hugh

At least dogs can be treated quite easily now, unlike the old baths where humans had to wear gloves but put it on animals skin

Definitely wild.

Good spot and well captured.

Thanks Mark

Hi
Wild - spot on theme. Hard to recognise it as a fox in that condition but emphasises the 'wild' element. Just thought that a bit more space on the right would help the comp.

Thanks Alan - had to take what I could get composition wise. Have seen it a few times since, usually after dark skulking around the garden sometimes with another fox and a friend came up the drive yesterday and saw my young cat getting cross at something in the garage, next thing he knew the cat was chasing it out of the garden!

Great macro shot...
Nice use of subject, and I am sure a few others will follow suit of tight space...

Hi Christine,

Great detail in the matches. I love your images and look forward to the rest of the 52.
Alan

Thanks Alan

very very clear macro. what camera/lens combo did you use for this?

Thanks Chris - I think it was the 5D Mk II and one of my favourite lenses, purchased from someone here on TP, a Canon 100mm macro. The image is cropped to get the area I had in mind as I wanted it tight

Nice macro beautifully sharp :clap: my only crit would be to crop some of the blue from the top of the pic

Superb detail in those match heads Christine, well thought out composition leaving two half matches either side of the "main" ones.

Two things from me... watermark overlaps one of the matches, and the blue border along the top - is that real? Line and the shadow underneath looks a bit too straight.

Both teeny-tiny minor points in a great shot. (y)

Nice macro beautifully sharp :clap: my only crit would be to crop some of the blue from the top of the pic

Thanks Alan, I tried that but thought it looked too unbalanced

I like the blue :) It helps the graphic composition and bright blue gives an almost pop art feel.

Thanks Tony - strange how different people see things differently - or is it just blues

Superb macro shot, lovely detail. (y)

Thanks Matt

Superb detail in those match heads Christine, well thought out composition leaving two half matches either side of the "main" ones.

Two things from me... watermark overlaps one of the matches, and the blue border along the top - is that real? Line and the shadow underneath looks a bit too straight.

Both teeny-tiny minor points in a great shot. (y)

Thanks Graham - the watermark is deliberate - this will probably go to stock site for sale along with a couple of my others in this thread

Good spot on the border - the original edge was very torn and tatty so I thought I would neaten it up - too much maybe :)

Limited time, I'm afraid, so quick comments...

Space, or lack of, like it. Think I'd prefer it without the blue border.

Nice detail.

Cheers.

Hi Christine

space - very original and well handled. Excellent detail and focus. I took the blue border to be the outside of the box where the matches are struck and it looks ok to me , except that it is a bit skew whiff at the top where the line of dots does not follow the frame. Only a minor point but at such magnification, it seems to stand out to me.

Limited time, I'm afraid, so quick comments...

Space, or lack of, like it. Think I'd prefer it without the blue border.

Nice detail.

Cheers.

I have seen that first sentence before - copy and pasting ? :) I can't help but picture where you are why you type the comments now

The blue is the top of the matchbox

Excellent idea, and beautifully captured (y)

Thanks Dave

Great idea and a nice different take on the theme.

Thanks Lisa

Hi Christine

space - very original and well handled. Excellent detail and focus. I took the blue border to be the outside of the box where the matches are struck and it looks ok to me , except that it is a bit skew whiff at the top where the line of dots does not follow the frame. Only a minor point but at such magnification, it seems to stand out to me.

Yes, you are right, the blue is part of the box, I did not touch the top bit so must have been the printing - the box was a bit on the tatty side even though I had just taken it out of the packet

Back