Kernow Chris' 52 for 2017 - Broken added

Thanks for the kind comments. There was loads of 'structural' content there amongst the airframe graveyard, I was just a week early :)

Love it...what is it in reality tho ? Old plane cockpit ?

The original 'structure' photograph is the inside of a Sea King heli, and the more 'distressed' one above is from an English Electric Canberra, the bombers seat on the left and the navigator on the right (as we look at them in the photo).

English Electric Canbera WT308
by Chris Stephens, on Flickr

First submission is very interesting looking round the image at all the detail, the last of the complete plane with a very dramatic sky is my favourite. (y)(y)

sorry its a quick catchup as my roast chicken is about to burn. love the moon shot, great composition and positioning within the frame. not keen on the text if i am honest, especially as its in foreign! :police::police::police:

I think the Canberra shot is my favourite for the whole week, so a gold star for you, absolutely fantastic.

Hi Chris,
I really like the shot you got there for it's content, it's bang on theme.
I feel it needs more of a black point though, it's almost as if the shadows have been lifted a bit too much (I'm only guessing), I would be tempted to darken the shadows a bit. Mind you, that's the Jared Polin in me talking, so feel free to ignore ;)

Fantastic access you have there, it must be amazing!

Hi Chris,
I really like the shot you got there for it's content, it's bang on theme.
I feel it needs more of a black point though, it's almost as if the shadows have been lifted a bit too much (I'm only guessing), I would be tempted to darken the shadows a bit. Mind you, that's the Jared Polin in me talking, so feel free to ignore ;)

Fantastic access you have there, it must be amazing!

Thanks. I shall have to go back and check what I did with the shadows.

Routine, in this case college students off to college.

I wanted a shot with more people in, but after two mornings hanging around the bus stops this is the most I could capture in one shot. I 'm not too sure about the processing, it seems a little harsh.

Routine is a very nice shot and good editing imo, I like the harshness of it as it makes it more, my only grip would be remove the can on the ground :)

Thanks. Removing the litter did cross my mind, but I thought it might have added 'routinely dropped litter by college students'. Food for thought anyhow.

Structure: Looks good to me and a good conversion.
Routine: I would like to see this in colour, i'm not sure it's at it's best in mono. It just looks a bit complicated. Sorry.

It just looks a bit complicated. Sorry.

Don't apologise as I somewhat agree and struggled with processing it in a way that reduced this. I think it's more of a composition issue rather than pp. It wasn't apparent to me until I got it up in Lightroom. All part of learning I guess.

Maybe the a tighter crop removes some of the busy'ness...

.. tho the 'chopped off traffic lights' irk me.

I quite like the processing, the contrasty look works.
I'm not sure which of the two versions wins out, I like both.
Maybe the first one just edges it due to the many different leading lines, the second shot loses the leading line of the fence.

I quite like the processing, the contrasty look works.
I'm not sure which of the two versions wins out, I like both.
Maybe the first one just edges it due to the many different leading lines, the second shot loses the leading line of the fence.

I thought the same about the Loss of the fence in the crop, but making it wider, more panoramic, didn't look right proportionally either.

Nice idea for the theme, looks slightly over sharpened maybe, cant quite put my finger on it though

Love that structure shot, Chris. Suits the processing down to the ground and so much to look at. I have to ask, what actually is it?

Love that structure shot, Chris. Suits the processing down to the ground and so much to look at. I have to ask, what actually is it?

Thanks.

The original one I chose for the weeks thread is the insides of an old Sea King helicopter. The others I added to my '52 thread' are from an English Electric Canbera.

Thanks.

The original one I chose for the weeks thread is the insides of an old Sea King helicopter. The others I added to my '52 thread' are from an English Electric Canbera.
The Sea King is a winner as said. Brilliant effort.

Numbers...

Numbers
by Chris Stephens, on Flickr

... the verticals needed a bit of correction, first time I've dealt with that issue. Needless to say, I took may shots for this, but this was the only one where I managed to catch the sun shining thru onto the organ and just beyond.

First time I've taken the camera to the cathedral, plenty of subject material for the future.

Last edited:
I like the external image Chris, real nice to see a blue sky and descent warm light :)

The number shot from the inside is nice too, I like it portrait cropped, you did well with the uprights (y)

Thanks. Glad that version of the 'outside' shot was liked, I was afraid it was too much of a 'record shot' and toyed with many different variants, some quite extreme.

Thanks.

Numbers ... works well ... I see so many possibilities, I'm off to a church near me soon. Free admission, cameras allowed? Yes Westminster Cathedral (not the Abbey).

Hi Chris.
Not sure that it works for me. Obviously it's on theme, and there is plenty of detail in the subject.
But I think it's the fact that although your verticals are spot on, the horizontals are just off.
That is a result of the slight skew caused by taking the shot from the side and there isn't much you can do about it. Not sure, but I think that accentuating the skew, so that the 'diagonal' horizontals (for want of a better way of explaining it) were much more of an angle would have made it look like a deliberate, artistic choice.

Loving the skies you've captured in the exterior shot :)

Back