Critique required LC2's Shoe Horns for 2023 : Week 52 - Showcase

I had to look up Lensbaby - interesting alternatives, a whole new subset of creativity

Really interesting portrait. Great light and interest in the background and location. The blur around the periphery and especially her skirt really adds an extra dimension to the shot.

If you want critique, I'm not completely sold on the red bag under her arm, but as the whole image is not "standard" I'm not that bothered by it, and feel it fits.
I'll let the designer know ;)
The outfits are not something we have any control over (well, we can ask the models to remove coats / hats etc.)
I like that, the blur and the light are very good (y)
Cheers Allan. The light was challenging. Finding the right shots was worth it though.
I have some from the shoot i really like, and others not so much.
She's also wearing clothes made of artificial fabric?!
That is true too
I love this! Clever clogs of the week for sure :)
You know me by now and my penchant for shoehorning model/cosplay shots into almost every theme Chris selects ;)
That's outstanding - a really striking image.
Cheers Helen
Loving the incomplete image Tim, looks a great one to do right up.
It's a pickup. It will be interesting to keep going by and seeing how it progresses
I had to look up Lensbaby - interesting alternatives, a whole new subset of creativity
They are good fun. Often not the appropriate lens though.

Week 4 - Transparent

Utilising the double exposure in camera function of the Fuji X-T3, you can see through the loco, therefore I claim this as Transparent.
Deliberately slightly out of phase to mess with your eyes. it looks out of focus, but when you look carefully, focus is actually achieved - I was focusing on the "10mph across the points" sign, but at f/4.8 everything else is close enough...

This is either going to provoke a love or hate reaction (probably hate), I don't feel there is any in between.

BR Standard 2 78018 by Tim White, on Flickr

Last edited:
Well done for trying something different.

Sadly I am towards the negative end of your suggested spectrum, but I respect you for thinking out of the box.

I like it. It's interesting to look at the various parts, if you hadn't said it might have taken longer to work out what's going on. Like the transparent train and the wiggly tracks being doubled up.

Neat job getting this done in camera. I imagine Photoshop could also be used by reducing opacity of a layer.

Nice Standard 2 :) I like the double exposure effect but the 'out of phase' distracts a little.

I get it now you’ve explained it. It sort of works for me, but would have been much better if it had been a fixed position so the “10” was clearly in focus and a single image, but the train moving would have given the transparency.
That’s given me some ideas though, just need to figure out how to superimpose two images, not sure that I can do that in Lightroom?

Great shot Tim. I always love a good double exposure shot.

I like it Tim always enjoy different, does screw with your eyes a bit. Fits the theme though I wasn't expecting to see a transparent train.

Artificial: I like this a lot Tim. I love the way the oof areas suggest movement (at least to me they do!) and the contrasty light really suits the subject.
Transparent: I rather like the effect and wonder how different it would look in colour.

All kudos for using your imagination and trying something different. I sort of like it but it does make my eyes go squiffy!

I like it. It's interesting to look at the various parts, if you hadn't said it might have taken longer to work out what's going on. Like the transparent train and the wiggly tracks being doubled up.

Neat job getting this done in camera. I imagine Photoshop could also be used by reducing opacity of a layer.
Yes, I suspect I could have done it in PS :) But I wanted to do it in camera for a change.
Nice Standard 2 :) I like the double exposure effect but the 'out of phase' distracts a little.
If you don't try something new, you don't progess ;)
I get it now you’ve explained it. It sort of works for me, but would have been much better if it had been a fixed position so the “10” was clearly in focus and a single image, but the train moving would have given the transparency.
That’s given me some ideas though, just need to figure out how to superimpose two images, not sure that I can do that in Lightroom?
Not sure you can do it in LR, but opacity in PS would do it.
I think it works well Tim. Tick form me.
:)
Great shot Tim. I always love a good double exposure shot.
(y)
I like it Tim always enjoy different, does screw with your eyes a bit. Fits the theme though I wasn't expecting to see a transparent train.
Screwing with the eye was the plan ;)
I try to do something different (unless I'm posting people shots)
I like it. A very busy shot and works tremendously well in Black and White.
I don't think it would work in colour tbh.
I like your thought process behind the shot. A bit too clever for the like of me.
Nah, you'd rock it Stan
Artificial: I like this a lot Tim. I love the way the oof areas suggest movement (at least to me they do!) and the contrasty light really suits the subject.
Transparent: I rather like the effect and wonder how different it would look in colour.
More distracting to be honest
All kudos for using your imagination and trying something different. I sort of like it but it does make my eyes go squiffy!

Week 5 - Free Week

Well, it just had to be a cosplay shot didn't it...
GoJo from Hunter X Hunter (if that means anything to you ;) )

Anyway. Shot on a dark set of stairs, with barriers set into the stairway.
I'm not sure if that's to stop people falling down, or for some other reason.
Shot with quite a narrow flash to highlight the face in an edgy fashion which suits a 'behind bars' look.

GoJo - Hunter X Hunter by Tim White, on Flickr

No idea what Golo is but it makes for a good moody shot. I like it.

Such a wonderful portrait Tim. Looking at it, I have so many questions...and, to my mind, that's part of what makes a great image.

Really nice shot Tim, excellent composition - the eye dead centre of the square! Lighting is perfect and the subject is great!

A really chilling character too - you don't want to look too long.. but the image draws you back with the light and dark, and the detail in the eyelashes, and that eye! and the grid of metal between us.

Excellent!

Last edited:
Excellent.
Makes you wonder whether she is inviting you in or determined to keep you out!

No idea what Golo is but it makes for a good moody shot. I like it.
Cheers
Such a wonderful portrait Tim. Looking at it, I have so many questions...and, to my mind, that's part of what makes a great image.
Great shot Tim. The lighting is spot on.
Really nice shot Tim, excellent composition - the eye dead centre of the square! Lighting is perfect and the subject is great!

A really chilling character too - you don't want to look too long.. but the image draws you back with the light and dark, and the detail in the eyelashes, and that eye! and the grid of metal between us.

Excellent!
It's an interesting place to shoot.
Excellent.
Makes you wonder whether she is inviting you in or determined to keep you out!
He does have a great expression.

Week 10 - Full

The Ropley Shed on the Mid Hants Railway was looking particularly full last night.
This shot was taken from the public area, giving the view across some unused wheelsets, helping to add to the impression of the lack of space.
Shot in colour and converted to B&W using the LR Infrared filter

Kilmersdon & 53808 on shed at Ropley by Tim White, on Flickr

Nice set of steam gubbins Tim.

Like the portrait, very moody
The shed looks a busy place, B&W suits it

Plenty of engines there, the steam and smoke blowing out from them all really does show the activity.

Nice set of steam gubbins Tim.
Cheers Dave
Like the portrait, very moody
The shed looks a busy place, B&W suits it
B&W does suit it. Otherwise Kermit (the little tank) is bright green.
Liking your effort for Transparent, good shot.
Full is a cool shot, and it goes well in B&W.
Cheers Dave.
Lovely crop Tim and works great in black & white.
Thnx
Plenty of engines there, the steam and smoke blowing out from them all really does show the activity.
It's a bit of an illusion really. Only the 7F is really in steam.
But yes, it is very atmospheric
You can almost hear that photo! Fab!
(y)
Nicely done (y)
(y)

That is definitely broken Tim, like the angle you have taken the shot at, works well for the general composition.

Week 6 - Knob

Not sure what it's for. Something to do with signaling or something like that I think.
Shot with the XT2 and the "kit" lens not quite wide open to achieve sufficiently deep depth of field.
Location - Medstead and Fourmarks Station on the Mid Hants Railway

Week 6 - Knob by Tim White, on Flickr

Week 7 - Letters

Does what it says on the tin...
Placed roughly on the top right third. Railway lines disappering off into the distance to pull your eye from the left to the right of the frame. I feel that even though the sign is in the foreground, the lines lead you to it.
Shot with the XT2 and kit lens, wide open this time.
Location - Ropely Station on the Mid Hants Railway

Week 7 - Letters by Tim White, on Flickr

Back