Critique required LC2's Shoe Horns for 2023 : Week 52 - Showcase

LC2

Negan
Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
Week 1: Your Area

The weekend was a bit of a washout, so I couldn't get the shot I wanted (maybe I'll get a chance to shoot it for a later theme...)

So. This is a 5 minute walk away.
Minimax was a Fire Extinguisher manufacturer based in Felthem from 1911. Minimax Corner was a local landmark.
When the Factory was closed and demolished in the 1980s, the Art Deco Gateway was retained, albeit stand alone, not incorporated into the new build.

Interestingly, while I was taking the shot, someone stopped and asked me what it was. They thought it was from a cinema.

Minimax Art Deco Gateway by Tim White, on Flickr

Last edited:
Interesting, needs the back story to it! Really pleasing that it's been kept, but strange that it's been left as a standalone section rather than being incorporated into a new building.

Looks good in the sunshine too!

An interesting bit of historical gubbins - and ideal for week 1 :)

Interesting, needs the back story to it! Really pleasing that it's been kept, but strange that it's been left as a standalone section rather than being incorporated into a new building.

Looks good in the sunshine too!
I agree, it needs the backstory. Funnily enough, I think my shot makes it look better than it does in real life.
An interesting bit of historical gubbins - and ideal for week 1 :)
Needs the padding to support a PABD doesn't it ;)

Interesting bit of architecture seems an odd way to leave it though, it only needs the back story because it's such a strange thing.
I too thought it was an old cinema entrance on first view.

Wow! that's a really interesting and unusual thing to have in your area!

Always loved Art Decco glad it was preserved, sad it could not of been incorporated into the new building.

Interesting bit of architecture seems an odd way to leave it though, it only needs the back story because it's such a strange thing.
I too thought it was an old cinema entrance on first view.
It was the 80's though. Developers did their best to do the minimum possible with regards to heritage.
(A la the destruction of the Firestones art deco facade days before it was to become listed).
Is it not a fireplace surround?
hehe.
Wow! that's a really interesting and unusual thing to have in your area!
I suspect everyone has unusual things in their area, even if they don't know about it.
We have the advantage of quite a lot of industrial heritage out our way due to the airport and the A4 corridor (though nothing like East London).
Always loved Art Decco glad it was preserved, sad it could not of been incorporated into the new building.
Indeed, but as per my reply to Alan, 1980's developers... :(

Really interesting Tim, both the image and your commentary. When I first looked at it my mind also went to theatre/cinema.

I really like that Tim. There are a few Deco factory features still left in the Sheffield area and it's good to come across ones I don't know of every so often.

A really interesting back story - it does look like a cinema entrance and even the name sounds like a film company to me. It looks like it needs a bit of tlc too..

Interesting, looks like a giant deck chair.

Really interesting Tim, both the image and your commentary. When I first looked at it my mind also went to theatre/cinema.
I suppose it does, but mainly because most old cinemas are art deco I guess.
I really like that Tim. There are a few Deco factory features still left in the Sheffield area and it's good to come across ones I don't know of every so often.
So much was 'cleared' in the 80's wan't it.
We've still got a bit due to the A4 industrial areas around Brentford
A really interesting back story - it does look like a cinema entrance and even the name sounds like a film company to me. It looks like it needs a bit of tlc too..
I'm not sure how much tlc it gets. It certainly looks worse in the summer. But I'm guessing it gets some amount of cleaning / clearing otherwise it would be a ruin by now.
Interesting, looks like a giant deck chair.
hehe
An interesting subject and back story, Tim. I'm guessing the colours are faded but they still hint at their former glory, and it seems sad that the entrance wasn't incorporated into a new construction. Good luck with the rest of your 52 :)
Cheers Andrea, good luck with your's too.
I couldn't find any decent colour shots of it when it was still part of the factory, so not really sure if it were more vibrant or not.

I'm in the same boat as you Tim, no idea what to shoot. I like your image, the colours really make it stand out..

Good choice to get closer in rather than the whole thing, works well for the theme.

Good one for the theme. Looks a bit of a beast!

Area: Great subject and an interesting back story. I'm originally from Bradford. Modern architects have butchered the city centre over successive generations, so can sympathise.

Incomplete: Yes, great subject, on theme and the colours are very interesting.

Nice tight shot Tim. Works for me, and yes this week's theme was a tester for sure!

Very good with the colours. Quite a striking image.

Good job, like the detail throughot the frame, square crop works well. Definately incomplete, but looks like it'll be a monster with a nice V8.

That's a great image for the theme and the colours are lovely. Good job

Good image for the theme, nice contrast between the freshly? painted green and the rusty pulleys

I'm in the same boat as you Tim, no idea what to shoot. I like your image, the colours really make it stand out..

Nice subject, looks a beast with that engine!

Even before reading your post, I was with you on the colours.

Nicely spotted and a good composition.

An interesting colour for an engine. Looks like an incomplete restoration project but missing a few body panels too.

Good choice to get closer in rather than the whole thing, works well for the theme.

Good one for the theme. Looks a bit of a beast!

Area: Great subject and an interesting back story. I'm originally from Bradford. Modern architects have butchered the city centre over successive generations, so can sympathise.

Incomplete: Yes, great subject, on theme and the colours are very interesting.

Nice tight shot Tim. Works for me, and yes this week's theme was a tester for sure!

Very good with the colours. Quite a striking image.

Good job, like the detail throughot the frame, square crop works well. Definately incomplete, but looks like it'll be a monster with a nice V8.

Lovely close up Tim. The colours really make the shot. Nicely spotted too.

That's a great image for the theme and the colours are lovely. Good job

Good image for the theme, nice contrast between the freshly? painted green and the rusty pulleys

Thanks everyone.
I did deliberately go for a close in shot. It is cropped in a bit (and obviously set to a 1x1 aspect), but my plan when taking the shot was to be close in.
I do have wider shots, but they were really just backups just in case.
The look of the truck was what drew me to the shot. The colours were an added bonus.

I have no idea what the lump is, but I do hope to see (hear) it driving around the area when it's done :)

Agreed, some lovely colour in there and nicely composed. It looks too big to fit under the bonnet!

Great picture, the colours as everyone says really pop. It looks like a hell of an engine too :oops: :$

Week 3 - Artificial

A bit of a shoe horn perhaps...
This shot of Rani was taken with a Lensbaby Sol 45, tilted to add 'artificial' out of focus area everywhere apart from her face.
Pushing the envelope here as the OOF is actually done in camera rather than added afterwards in photoshop, but it is artificial when compared to how it looked to the eye at the time.

Taken in harsh low natural light. I very much like the contrast of light and shadow on her face

@hashtagrania - Pierre Garroudi's Fashion Flash Mob - Wood Lane January 2023 by Tim White, on Flickr

Really interesting portrait. Great light and interest in the background and location. The blur around the periphery and especially her skirt really adds an extra dimension to the shot.

If you want critique, I'm not completely sold on the red bag under her arm, but as the whole image is not "standard" I'm not that bothered by it, and feel it fits.

She's also wearing clothes made of artificial fabric?!

I love this! Clever clogs of the week for sure :)

Back