weekly Leebert's 52 for 2020. Week 23 - Hidden.

Interesting stuff :)

I can't think which TV show it was on but I have seen this it was fascinating to watch.

I've seen YouTube videos of this, it's quite an amazing thing to watch. I most definitely won't be trying this at home, or anywhere else for that matter.

Hi Leebert, sorry playing catch up. I love your discarded theme, B&W suits the theme perfectly and a clever aspect to take it from.
For your snappers choice I immediately saw 2 faces It was like the old 1990’s Game magic eye where you interpret it different to someone else. [emoji4]
I like the Wild theme it reminded me of pyrography art, I like the contrast of colours between the wood and the brown burn lines.

Last edited:
That is a cracking take on the theme Lee, love how the colours really gel with each other. I learnt as a little boy never to play with electrics...Ouch.
Plenty of potential for ouch there Dave. Thank you :)

Impressive
Thanks.

That's mega creative! Excellent idea and take on the theme.
Thank you.

Lee, a great take on the theme and a beautiful work of art. As the French say, Chapeau.
Wow, thank you so much Clive.

I'm lost reading through all those technical words in your narrative but nevertheless it's a beautiful image and cleverly done.
Thank you Stan.

Wow - very different and creative. Like it - when you say slow motion, is this something that could be captured in progress with a long exposure, or would the timing and coordination required be too extreme?
Thanks very much. I videoed a quick attempt on a scrap bit of wood. I'll pop a link up in a mo.

Very nice Lee!
I like these a lot. The technique is used quite a bit in Bonsai. To decorate stands or wood training pots.
Thank you Chris :)

How do you achieve so accurate a silhouette on this type of image, I have an idea for a photo that involves a silhouette but other than trial and error I’m in the dark (literally!!)
Thank you @StuartPearson. I was sat in the middle of the front room in-between the flash at one end and the camera at the other end. I held a white diffuser close to the flash side of my head to get the nice crisp edge.

The vase/two Leeberts is a great idea for the technique and WILD is crazy cool. Super idea!
Thanks very much Bob.

Interesting stuff :)
Thanks Dave

I can't think which TV show it was on but I have seen this it was fascinating to watch.
It certainly is Alison. Thanks for dropping by.

I've seen YouTube videos of this, it's quite an amazing thing to watch. I most definitely won't be trying this at home, or anywhere else for that matter.
Cheers Dominic.

Hi Leebert, sorry playing catch up. I love your discarded theme, B&W suits the theme perfectly and a clever aspect to take it from.
For your snappers choice I immediately saw 2 faces It was like the old 1990’s Game magic eye where you interpret it different to someone else. [emoji4]
I like the Wild theme it reminded me of pyrography art, I like the contrast of colours between the wood and the brown burn lines.
Many thanks for the catch up Heather.

A little bit of rule bending going on here ;)

I haven't taken my Broken shot yet. I have an idea but it needs a bit of setting up. So, to try and keep up a bit, here is Week 8 - Ability and Week 9 - Winter.

Ability was taken at Covent Garden where I noticed an in depth conversation taking place with one of the people having that rare ability of listening.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2iwzDiQ]
Covent Garden by Lee Francis, on Flickr[/URL]

Week 9 - Winter (night sky)
A bit of a rough and ready shot for this week. The constellation of Orion is very much a Winter constellation. Part of it is Orion's sword which contains the Orion Nebula.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2iyns33]
Orion Nebula by Lee Francis, on Flickr[/URL]

That's a cracking street portrait
And who doesn't love a bit of Astro?
2 good images Lee (y)

2 great shots, super street image, and the sky looks great. I have never tried any of that type of shots. I may have to give it a go at some point.

Ability is a nice portrait, looks very attentive.
Winter, I don't know much about star's, which bit is Orions belt, is it the bright bit next to the 3 in a line? Is it only visible in winter?
Nice to see the stars it all seems to be clouds!

The ability shot is very clever.. you have really caught the idea that he is listening intently. A hard thing to convey in a single image.
Lovely starry night shot for Winter.. they always see crystal clear at this time of year.

Ability, the portrait looks really close for a 50mm lens (Flickr EXIF data), have you cropped or were you very near?

Ability - good street shot
Winter - well captured, would have to be a fair way from home to see them.

Two cracking images Lee love them both, you caught the man really listening and love the look on his face.
Orion is my all time favourites as love looking through my powerful binoculars and imo it is a fantastic view too.
Thanks Dave. I agree - I never tire of the night sky.

Hi Lee,
Ability - A nice street portrait there. It doesn't look like he knew you were there at all :)
Winter - What are those holes in the sky? I'm sure we don't have them around my way...
Thank you Tim. Lol! There has been the odd hole here and there. Mostly surrounded by heave rain :(

That's a cracking street portrait
And who doesn't love a bit of Astro?
2 good images Lee (y)
Thank you Chris

Well spotted for Ability. Love the guy's concentration face expression and deep in thought.
No idea about winter sky and constellation but love the shot, clean and the deep black night sky
Thank you Stan. There's a surprising amount to photograph in the night sky if you know where to point the camera.

2 great shots, super street image, and the sky looks great. I have never tried any of that type of shots. I may have to give it a go at some point.
Cheers Rick. Definitely give it a go. Use the fastest lens you have and crank up the ISO and see what you get :)

Ability is a nice portrait, looks very attentive.
Winter, I don't know much about star's, which bit is Orions belt, is it the bright bit next to the 3 in a line? Is it only visible in winter?
Nice to see the stars it all seems to be clouds!
Hi Clive,
Thank you. It's quite a close image of the nebula and the belt is just outside the left hand side of the shot from memory. You are correct - Orion is only visible in the winter.

The ability shot is very clever.. you have really caught the idea that he is listening intently. A hard thing to convey in a single image.
Lovely starry night shot for Winter.. they always see crystal clear at this time of year.
Thank you Helen.

Bang on for ABILITY. Great capture.
Cheers Bob.

Great portrait shot, it feels like you have captured his character
Thank you.

I really like your astro shot - if that's rough and ready, I'm looking forward to your polish!
Thank you. I rushed it a bit when I saw it was clear. I'll visit it again one day.

Ability, the portrait looks really close for a 50mm lens (Flickr EXIF data), have you cropped or were you very near?
Thank you Stuart. It's a bit of both. I was quite close and it has been cropped. He was so deep in listening that I don't think he knew that I was there.

Ability - good street shot
Winter - well captured, would have to be a fair way from home to see them.
Thank you Alison. It's worth getting the camera out if you find yourself under a nice dark sky.

Thanks all for popping by. It is much appreciated.

Winding the clock back to Week 7 - Broken.

I kicked myself up the ar$e this afternoon / evening and finally got my broken shot set up. It took ages to get the timing right on the flash trigger with me shooting bits of cardboard. Once I got it spot on, I tried it with crayons and this is the result. I think they are quite broken!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2iDY3qE]
Week 7 - Broken. by Lee Francis, on Flickr[/URL]

The flash trigger is of my own design & build. Linky

Broken - Great Shot I like the colours and that you have captured the explosion of them snapping.
Book - 39 steps is my guess too
Transport - good shot, shame you didn't get a plane in too then you would have had the set.

Broken. great idea and I love the colours.
Book. I'm guessing 39 Steps too. Good use of mono.
Transport. I like the way you've included different modes of transport.

Love the step shot.. nice conversion. Haven't counted them but assume there are 39 :)
Multiple transport options there.. you've covered all bases.

Hey Lee,

Broken - Lovely shot. Worth the effort :) Set off by the sound you say. That's impressive !
Book - I'll take your word for there being 39 Steps there (gave up counting ;)) It definitely depicts the title.
Transport - As Clive says, the sky is pretty ominous. And you've got 3 different types of transport in a single shot, so you can't complain really :)

Nice catch up Lee and well caught one the exploding crayons (y)

Broken - super shot, well executed :)
Book,- Nice moody image, I like it
Transport - I actually like that, nice sky and well progressed :)

Great catch up!

broken - this is amazing, the result is well worth the effort!

book - Nicely taken, I like the composition and the processing!

transport - right on theme, nothing wrong with the occasional PABD

Broken is absolutely superb! Very well done - absolutely great shot, and I'm having a good look at your trigger... I very much like your 39 Steps as well - the gritty B&W suits the theme of the book as well. Less of a fan of your transport shot I'm afraid - but nice job catching up!

Hi Lee book, is it The 39 Steps? Transport, nice dramatic sky.
Broken is a work of art a big well done from me:clap::clap::clap:
Thank you Clive. You are quite correct - it is The 39 Steps. Incidentally, the book was written by John Buchan whilst he was ill in a nursing home on the coast. His young daughter was learning to count and during a visit, she counted the steps that ran down to the beach. She counted 78 which the author halved to 39 as it sounded a better title.

You did a cracking job on broken, very nicely taken and great for the theme. The steps shot is a cracker too and suits B&W.
Thank you Dave.

Broken - Great Shot I like the colours and that you have captured the explosion of them snapping.
Book - 39 steps is my guess too
Transport - good shot, shame you didn't get a plane in too then you would have had the set.
Thanks Alison. I could have held out a model plane at arms length but I didn't think of that :)

Broken. great idea and I love the colours.
Book. I'm guessing 39 Steps too. Good use of mono.
Transport. I like the way you've included different modes of transport.
Thanks Pete.

My guess for BOOK would be "The 39 Steps to Good Photography" - which you have obviously read!! :clap::clap::clap:
Thank you very much Bob. Most kind.

Love the step shot.. nice conversion. Haven't counted them but assume there are 39 :)
Multiple transport options there.. you've covered all bases.
Looks like my book shot was too easy! Thank you Helen.

39 Steps is my guess for the book title too but didn't bother to count to confirm. :giggle: Like the angle of view and mono conversion, it suits the scene well.

I like the Transport shot too, old classic rail station building and nice to see them in good condition.
Thank you Stan.

Hey Lee,

Broken - Lovely shot. Worth the effort :) Set off by the sound you say. That's impressive !
Book - I'll take your word for there being 39 Steps there (gave up counting ;)) It definitely depicts the title.
Transport - As Clive says, the sky is pretty ominous. And you've got 3 different types of transport in a single shot, so you can't complain really :)
Thank you Tim.

Nice catch up Lee and well caught one the exploding crayons (y)
Cheers Chris (y)

Broken - super shot, well executed :)
Book,- Nice moody image, I like it
Transport - I actually like that, nice sky and well progressed :)
Thank you Rick.

Great catch up!

broken - this is amazing, the result is well worth the effort!

book - Nicely taken, I like the composition and the processing!

transport - right on theme, nothing wrong with the occasional PABD
Thank you Bernd.

Broken is absolutely superb! Very well done - absolutely great shot, and I'm having a good look at your trigger... I very much like your 39 Steps as well - the gritty B&W suits the theme of the book as well. Less of a fan of your transport shot I'm afraid - but nice job catching up!
Thank you. Please shout if you have any questions.
No problem re the transport shot - It was a bit of a catch up shot.

As always, thank you all for taking the time to comment. It is much appreciated.

Back