weekly Leebert's 52 for 2020. Week 23 - Hidden.

That's a classic precision instrument lasting all this time, just so to confirm the last line of the catalogue.

Image wise, the mono conversion and tight crop suit the simple subject well. My only niggle and I'm being picky here is the textured background and I think a plain piece of paper would be better.

For some reason only the second picture (colour) is showing for me - but I'm trying to imagine it on B&W and think that the lovely warm wood does suit it well. Really nice shot - I used something like this doing my Physics A levels, and have fond memories of the tactile nature of its use.

Edited in to English... Sorry for commenting as I was falling asleep!

Last edited:
Week 3 - Tool.

This is an imperial micrometer by J T Slocomb, Rhode Island, USA. It belonged to my father in law who was a Horologist (watch & clock maker / repairer). I believe it is a Micrometer Caliper No. 25 made around 1940. The patent dates on the handle are 12th May 1896 and 13th April 1897.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2igeTfS]
Week 3 - Tool. by Lee Francis, on Flickr[/URL]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2igeHnA]
Week 3 - Tool. by Lee Francis, on Flickr[/URL]

Below is a screen shot of catalogue No. 18 for the same micrometer of about the same era.

View attachment 266040

Beautiful old tool and so much history too. I prefer the B&W one because tools are industrial in my opinion I think they are best seen in Black and White. Nicely crisp and sharp[emoji106]

An interesting looking tool Lee. I think it looks better in b&w, it feels more in keeping with the age of the item

Hi Lee

Much prefer the B&W image, nice old micrometer, which has a story connected to you. The days of Skilled craftsmen.

The B&W version brings out the grain on the wood and has plenty of detail in the ware on the tool.

Pete

Two nice overhead shots Lee, both are good but I like the mono the most as it has that old gritty sort of look to it.
Thank you Dave. I prefer the mono too for the same reason.

That's a classic precision instrument lasting all this time, just so to confirm the last line of the catalogue.
Image wise, the mono conversion and tight crop suit the simple subject well. My only niggle and I'm being picky here is the textured background and I think a plain piece of paper would be better.
Thanks - You make a very good point re the BG. I hadn't thought of that as adding clutter but I see that it does. One for a re-shoot maybe...

For some reason only the second picture (colour) is showing for me - but I'm trying to imagine it on B&W and think that the lovely warm wood does suit it well. Really nice shot - I used something like this doing my Physics A levels, and have fond memories of the tactile nature of its use.
Edited in to English... Sorry for commenting as I was falling asleep!
Thank you for your comments. Not sure why you can't see the photo? You can click on the pictures / links and it should take you to my Flickr page.

I prefer the mono version too. What a nice looking micrometer, so much better than some of the modern gadgets.
Thank you Clive.

I haven't used one of those in years, that's a nice old micrometer.
I think the B&W version is the better one, it suits old industrial equipment.
Maybe add some engineering blue?
Thanks Tim. I have fond memories of engineering blue and trying to clean it off my hands for ever after using it!!

I agree the b/w version is better.
Thanks Alison.

Beautiful old tool and so much history too. I prefer the B&W one because tools are industrial in my opinion I think they are best seen in Black and White. Nicely crisp and sharp[emoji106]
Many thanks Heather.

Marvellous image Lee!:clap:
I'm fascinated with old tools...I have many boxes in the garage, full of my Grandfathers old tools too...I must dig them out one day!
Excellent sharpness and detail, and the b&w processing suits it perfectly!
Thank you Gareth. I know what you mean - old tools like that are so tactile.

An interesting looking tool Lee. I think it looks better in b&w, it feels more in keeping with the age of the item
Thank you for your comment Tilly.

Hi Lee
Much prefer the B&W image, nice old micrometer, which has a story connected to you. The days of Skilled craftsmen.
The B&W version brings out the grain on the wood and has plenty of detail in the ware on the tool.
Pete
Thanks Pete. I found out after I posted the photo that it originally belonged to my Wife's grandfather.

Both of those work for me. Very good detail.
Thank you Dominic.

Thank you all for taking the time to pop in and comment :)

I've not seen one of those in years!
I too like the "B&W" it goes with the era, and the interesting background story.

Great photo from a bygone age of engineering.

Certainly to theme - the texture is much more crisp in mono so good choice.

pleasure - a very good professional looking product shot. Nicely sharp and well composed, B&W processing works very well.

tool - nice but less well than the headphones, have you tried a photo of this on a plain background?

I've not seen one of those in years!
I too like the "B&W" it goes with the era, and the interesting background story.
Thanks Chris.

Great photo from a bygone age of engineering.
Thank you Roger.

Nice bit of history, enhanced by b/w treatment.
Many thanks Bob.

Certainly to theme - the texture is much more crisp in mono so good choice.
Thank you Helen

pleasure - a very good professional looking product shot. Nicely sharp and well composed, B&W processing works very well.
tool - nice but less well than the headphones, have you tried a photo of this on a plain background?
Thank you Bernd. Stan (RPN) said the same re the BG on the mono micrometer shot. One to revisit I think...

Lovely crisp detail shot of a nice vintage tool. Takes me back to my Tech College days. I like the history you've included.

Much prefer the B&W version as you can see more of the detail in the processing.

Lovely crisp detail shot of a nice vintage tool. Takes me back to my Tech College days. I like the history you've included.
Thank you Pete.

Much prefer the B&W version as you can see more of the detail in the processing.
Thanks Mark.

How wonderful to have such a great old instrument that has been in the family for so long! I prefer the monochrome version as it suits the age of the item and brings out the detail and textures.
Thank you Andrea.

Tool is a great shot, I think the B&W conversion suits this best. Looks much better than my digital vernier gauge.

It's amazing how the weeks fly by!!

Week 4 - Discarded (technology).
This is the helical scanning head from a Sony GV-D1000E Mini DV video cassette recorder. I can't remember the last time it was used. It could certainly do with a cleaning tape running through it!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2iqgWcr]
Week 4 - Discarded (technology). by Lee Francis, on Flickr[/URL]

Week 5 - Snappers Choice and silhouette technique.
Is it a white vase like object or two of me?

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2iobEjp]
Week 5 - Snappers Choice. by Lee Francis, on Flickr[/URL]

Many thanks for dropping by :)

Hi Lee, 2 Good shots, I like the detail in discarded and the little out of focus glows.
Snappers choice double you and silhouette is an excellent idea and well done.

Clever take on the silhouette - like it! And I hate to think of the contortionism required to get a lens on to the video head... The DoF on it really suits and focuses the viewer on the subject.

Weeks 4 and 5 are both interesting shots, a different and interesting take of the technique too :)

Love that white vase for Snapper's Choice :)

I too like the bokeh balls in discarded, and a very good recreation of the vase/faces silhouette illusion.

Two very good shots Lee, liking the little bokeh balls in the discarded shot. Snappers choice is a cracker of a shot and very nice tech too.
Thank you very much Dave.

Hi Lee, 2 Good shots, I like the detail in discarded and the little out of focus glows.
Snappers choice double you and silhouette is an excellent idea and well done.
Most kind of you Clive.

Clever take on the silhouette - like it! And I hate to think of the contortionism required to get a lens on to the video head... The DoF on it really suits and focuses the viewer on the subject.
Thank you.

Weeks 4 and 5 are both interesting shots, a different and interesting take of the technique too :)
Cheers Rick.

Love that white vase for Snapper's Choice :)
Thanks Dave :)

I too like the bokeh balls in discarded, and a very good recreation of the vase/faces silhouette illusion.
Thank you Alison.

Nice close up of something a lot of us would have no idea what it is
(Sadly not me :D)
Nice take on the Vase image
Many thanks Chris.

As always, thank you all for dropping by.

Week 6 - Wild.

It's a bit of a wild day here today but, oddly enough, I have decided not to go out with my camera!

This week's picture is possibly a stretch of the theme Wild but it works for me. What you're seeing is called a Lichtenberg figure. You've almost certainly seen this before as lightning because it is a three dimensional Lichtenberg figure. It was created with 20,000 volts of electricity and a block of damp wood. It's fascinating to watch - it's essentially lightning in slow motion as electrons attempt to work their way from the negative towards the positive. Their progression initially appears random or Wild but there is a pattern and an order that must be followed and it is that of Fractals.

It goes without saying but I will anyway, please do not try this at home.

by Lee Francis, on Flickr
Many thanks for looking in (y)

Last edited:
That's mega creative! Excellent idea and take on the theme.

Wow - very different and creative. Like it - when you say slow motion, is this something that could be captured in progress with a long exposure, or would the timing and coordination required be too extreme?

What you're seeing is called a Lichtenberg figure.
Very nice Lee!
I like these a lot. The technique is used quite a bit in Bonsai. To decorate stands or wood training pots.

Back