Liz's 52's for 2017 - Week 52 - Weather(and done)

Hi Liz,

You - Nice and sharp. What f-stop were you using? as the background is in focus too. I think I would have tried for a blurring of the background so that it didn't compete with the subject. The building growing out of the side of his head isn't very flattering.

Arch(ing) - Great looking car and bang on theme for the subject. Any idea what make/model it is?
I appreciate you wanted to get the whole car (I would have too) but did you consider / take any close ups of details (such as the arches) to lose the background?

Display - Nicely done, it pops out from the background (y)

Bent - Cool idea and you've captured detail such as the bubbles well. I have to say I'm not keen on the background, but then again, I don't have anything better and I know the pain of trying to get a clean background myself.

Hi,
Thanks. A few comments:
BENT - The background colour is from a paper tablecloth I happened to have, which had been folded and so had to be propped up so that the glass could stand on it and also act as background to hide everything else + high enough to be able to take it at a reasonably eye level view. It was not possible to have it set anywhere else than where it was. Lighting was a ceiling light.
YOU was just a holiday shot so the background was just there.
ARCHING - as above. I just took it because it was there and it was fantastic. The title came up a few days later and it just fit.
DISPLAY - same again. I saw a couple of people taking pics from the appt and thought I'd better get dressed and see what they were photographing at 8am. Good job I did or I might have missed it. I took it with IPad, phone and camera to see which worked best - my Olympus SZ-30MR 16 megapixels automatic camera won out.
Liz

Great idea and well executed Liz...a drop of the highlights would possibly improve it......

Hi posiview and Hertsman - yes, I agree it is. I did try to straighten it, but it wouldn't work; someone will have to tell me about drops of highlights!

Great idea but yes, it's been said, BGs not perfect.

Good take on the theme :D The background is a bit creased. By dropping the highlights they mean reducing the intensity of the white bits at the bottom of the glass and the couple of spots on the rim. You could probably do this in photoshop :)

Bent - good demonstration of refraction

Wood - roots have some great shapes, dappled sunlight makes nice effect.

Week 41 - Wall(ed)

This wall is about 6' high and holds back our garden. It was built when we renovated our cottage from 2000 to 2002 and is opposite the back door so it makes a nice backdrop to our back yard.

PA140002edited.jpg

Nice shot for wall with some nice colours in there Liz

A busy and colourful scene from your back door, the photo looks a little soft TBH

Thank you for your comments, but I'm afraid I don't know what TBH or soft means or how to correct it!!

Bent
That's a well thought idea.

Wood
A nice shaped root. A little over exposed maybe. I also think a lower point of view would have helped.

Wall
Thats a colourful wall.

Week 42 - Symmetry
A bit late this week but eventually found this wonderful example at one of the only three Mansion Houses in the country - London, York and this one being Doncaster. Also managed to achieve three Gold awards in the Doncaster in Bloom competition at the same time! Lighting a bit bright in places, but it was the best I could do.

PA250002Edited.jpg

Typical isn't it. Just noticed it needed straightening, which I have now done! Perhaps someone could remove the last one - please.

PA250002Edited2.jpg

Week 43 - Worn

That's the trouble with clothes being worn, they have to be washed and it's not drying at all - not my knickers by the way!

PA270003Edited.jpg

Symmetrical
I really like the shot, good find for the theme. I agree with Dave I might have cropped the image at the top to remove that picture but not sure of that would affect the composition.
Worn
Nice colours you've captured here, works well against the green background.

Hi Liz,

Wooden - I'm one for boosting parts of the image to give more impact. I like the general image but to my taste it's a git samey...
Increasing the contrast, clarity and adding some de-haze, then boosting the orange and red hues while dropping the greens and blues really makes it pop. (If you want I can PM you what I mean).
That said, that's just me, so...
Great imagery though :)

Walled - What a good thing to have on your doorstep (literally). So much to look at, such a range of colours (y)

Symmetry - I know this is probably just me, but I would have played around with the black 7 white points in the levels adjustment to give more impact.

Worn - Nice range of colours and good use of contrasting the reds / pinks with the greens.

Hi Liz,

Wooden - I'm one for boosting parts of the image to give more impact. I like the general image but to my taste it's a git samey...
Increasing the contrast, clarity and adding some de-haze, then boosting the orange and red hues while dropping the greens and blues really makes it pop. (If you want I can PM you what I mean).
That said, that's just me, so...
Great imagery though :)

Walled - What a good thing to have on your doorstep (literally). So much to look at, such a range of colours (y)

Symmetry - I know this is probably just me, but I would have played around with the black 7 white points in the levels adjustment to give more impact.

Worn - Nice range of colours and good use of contrasting the reds / pinks with the greens.

Hi, would be good to see your take on wooden. I'm afraid I wouldn't know where to start. Likewise with symmetry.

Hi Liz,
This would be my edit for wooden.
Not overly different, but I've boosted the warm colours while dropping the saturation of the colder ones.
I suspect you would need to put them side by side to really notice the difference.
Liz_Wooden.jpg

Symmetrical ... haha almost there. The second one looks about right top & bottom but could probably do with a smidgen off RHS.

Worn clothes yes why not, nice idea.

Week 44 - Colourful

Camara da Lobos Wine Festival Parade, Madeira, September 2017. I don't think you could find anything more colourful than that. I'm afraid my link has disappeared!

WP_20170909_11_47_04_ProEdited.jpg

Last edited:
Symmetrical ... haha almost there. The second one looks about right top & bottom but could probably do with a smidgen off RHS.

Worn clothes yes why not, nice idea.

Yes, I think you're right about the crop.

Hi Liz,
This would be my edit for wooden.
Not overly different, but I've boosted the warm colours while dropping the saturation of the colder ones.
I suspect you would need to put them side by side to really notice the difference.
View attachment 113658

Thanks for taking the trouble to show me what can be done. As you say, it's not altered it a lot, but perhaps just enough to highlight the colour in the wood where the light was catching it.

Week 46 - Remote

Nun's Valley, Madeira

Nun's Valley Edited.jpg

Attachments

• Nun's Valley Edited.jpg
    Nun's Valley Edited.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 4
Nice shot for the theme Liz, very remote

Hi Liz,
Somehow I've missed Colourful being posted, but it certainly works, plenty of colours there. Good find.
Remote - It certainly is. Was this taken through a coach window?, I'm thinking it might have been given the hazy appearance of the top of the photo.
De-haze might be able to recover that. You're certainly getting about and making us jealous of your travels ;)

Hi, I think the haze was low cloud/mist. The location is pretty high up although the village is obviously lower down within the mountains.

Back