weekly Lorraine's 52 in 2015 - Week 24 Spiral Added

Week 13 - Machine

Ok, this may or may not require the help of my trusty shoehorn.... but it's got moving parts so I think it fits the bill.

It's not the most striking image, but I'm hoping it's sharper than my elegant reshoot was..

View attachment 34089

Hi, certainly a machine, traditionally it should be perhaps on the left of the frame, but I don't think it matters that much, nice sky too (y)

your close up of the nut was perfect. You nailed elegant on the re shoot of the re shoot and a fine example of a machine (y)

Hi, certainly a machine, traditionally it should be perhaps on the left of the frame, but I don't think it matters that much, nice sky too (y)

Thanks Allan - I didn't knoww about the convention, but thinking about it I can understand the reason why - is it because our eyes automatically move from left to right through the image? :)

Works for me Lorraine, nothing to add other than to agree with Allan :D

Thanks Chris :)

your close up of the nut was perfect. You nailed elegant on the re shoot of the re shoot and a fine example of a machine (y)

Wow - thank you Simon :)

Machine, on theme and nice overall detail. I'd prefer some movement in the blades, but you might not have had a tripod.

As an aside, you have a few dust bunnies (y)

Cheers.

Machine, on theme and nice overall detail. I'd prefer some movement in the blades, but you might not have had a tripod.

As an aside, you have a few dust bunnies (y)

Cheers.

Hi Andy, thanks for stopping by & commenting. You're right about the tripod - I'd left it at home and the shutter speed was too fast to show any movement. I'll check out those bunnies and try to get rid :)

Week 14 - Alphabet

So, after a bit of thought I decided not to try the full alphabet. This is kind of like those children's books - B is For...bits & bobs in this case.

35mm lens, aperture priority, 2 seconds at f/11, ISO 100, using the tripod and cable release, so I'm hoping that it's sharp, auto focus on the scent bottle label. I'm not entirely sure I've got the colours right - I've tried messing about with the wb and the saturation & hue sliders, and this was the result...it looks a little blue on my monitor, I should perhaps have gone for a warmer foreground

View attachment 34204

Last edited:
I like the composition of this and the choice of bits n bobs. :clap: But that whitish bit of curtain on the right distracts me.

Bob

this is a brilliant idea - I spent a pleasant minute or so identifying all the ''B's'' :) On my monitor it looks very warm, almost like an amber wash. I agree with Bob that the colour change in the curtain detracts from the composition. Although you would lose some of the book, how does it look cropped down to the colour change?

so I got

book
beads
bottle
bluebell
balm
brass
ball
buttons
bracelet

:clap:

Hi Lorraine

good thinking for the theme ! I kind like the warmish tone as it seems to suits all the items & the curtain & I like the arrangement of the various items (y) excludng the red beads...they seem to jar a little against the other tones, on the other hand they also lift it a little :thinking:

The lighter curtain area does pull the eye a little & possibly a lower POV might have enabled you to get the foremost bits totally in focus

Machine.....like this, simple, on theme, bit of detail in the sky & I like that it's off centre to the right :)

Last edited:
I like your thought process and the round about way behind the shot. My first impression when I open the thread was.... eeeer Alphabet? But after reading your short description it fits the theme nicely. I like the composition and the lighting but not sure about the background of part wallpaper and part curtain.

Week 14 - Alphabet

So, after a bit of thought I decided not to try the full alphabet. This is kind of like those children's books - B is For...bits & bobs in this case.

35mm lens, aperture priority, 2 seconds at f/11, ISO 100, using the tripod and cable release, so I'm hoping that it's sharp, auto focus on the scent bottle label. I'm not entirely sure I've got the colours right - I've tried messing about with the wb and the saturation & hue sliders, and this was the result...it looks a little blue on my monitor, I should perhaps have gone for a warmer foreground

View attachment 34204

can see the white balance issue root cause in the shot, you had the lights on (seen in the orb) and mixed with daylight (different colour temp), you get that argh why does this always look not quite Right thing

our eyes correct for it very well, sensors arent so kind :x

i like the composition though :)

Hi Lorraine ....I'm really liking your idea and may be pinching it as I'm stumped on alphabet at the moment.

I think it works really well and I like the colour tone, I think it brings it all together. It is a shame about the dark curtain not quite filling the frame, but its still an excellent choice for the theme.

Lovely composition and the sepia looks perfect to me - especially with the old-fashioned look of the objects. Agree about the rh side of the curtain, maybe a bit of cloning could get rid of it?

I like the composition of this and the choice of bits n bobs. :clap: But that whitish bit of curtain on the right distracts me.

Bob

Thanks Bob :) - and I see what you mean about the curtain on the rhs - I think I hadn't closed them enough and it had picked up the light from outside :-(

this is a brilliant idea - I spent a pleasant minute or so identifying all the ''B's'' :) On my monitor it looks very warm, almost like an amber wash. I agree with Bob that the colour change in the curtain detracts from the composition. Although you would lose some of the book, how does it look cropped down to the colour change?

so I got

book
beads
bottle
bluebell
balm
brass
ball
buttons
bracelet

:clap:

Blimey - thanks Sturisoma - yep, you got all of the "B's". The wb was a nightmare - and I think @pingu666 has hit on the reason why

Yup, plenty of Bs in there. I think it would work well as a B&W because the WB looks to warm :thinking:

Cheers.

Thanks Andy - I'm not sure about B&W, but I have messed with the WB some more edit below :)

Hi Lorraine

good thinking for the theme ! I kind like the warmish tone as it seems to suits all the items & the curtain & I like the arrangement of the various items (y) excludng the red beads...they seem to jar a little against the other tones, on the other hand they also lift it a little :thinking:

The lighter curtain area does pull the eye a little & possibly a lower POV might have enabled you to get the foremost bits totally in focus

Machine.....like this, simple, on theme, bit of detail in the sky & I like that it's off centre to the right :)

Thanks Lynne :) - I put the red beads in for bracelet, but I quite liked them as well

I like your thought process and the round about way behind the shot. My first impression when I open the thread was.... eeeer Alphabet? But after reading your short description it fits the theme nicely. I like the composition and the lighting but not sure about the background of part wallpaper and part curtain.

Thanks Stan - I did wonder if this would be a return of the shoehorn shot, but it seems to have fitted in on theme :D. I am struggling a bit to get a decent background on indoor shots, I need to do a bit of thinking about how I can work around it :)

can see the white balance issue root cause in the shot, you had the lights on (seen in the orb) and mixed with daylight (different colour temp), you get that argh why does this always look not quite Right thing

our eyes correct for it very well, sensors arent so kind :x

i like the composition though :)

Thanks pingu - I think you've hit on the reason why the WB was such a nightmare :)

Hi Lorraine ....I'm really liking your idea and may be pinching it as I'm stumped on alphabet at the moment.

I think it works really well and I like the colour tone, I think it brings it all together. It is a shame about the dark curtain not quite filling the frame, but its still an excellent choice for the theme.

Thanks Susie - and pinch away - it is a bit of a difficult theme this week because the ways to interpret it are fairly limited I think :)

Lovely composition and the sepia looks perfect to me - especially with the old-fashioned look of the objects. Agree about the rh side of the curtain, maybe a bit of cloning could get rid of it?

Thanks Elaine :)

and following on from everyone's comments, I've had another bash at editing the image - a tighter crop and another tweak with the WB, this time in PSE. There's still a little bit of white curtain as I didn't want to chop a bit of the book out. It looks a little better on my monitor, but it isn't calibrated, so others will probably see a very different picture...

View attachment 34344

Machine ... I like, simple but effective.

Alphabet ... Clever idea for a tricky theme ... I didn't get it till it was spelt out. And I agree with @pingu666 you should have turned the light out.

Machine, I agree no shoe horn required there (y)

Alphabet, that works well too :)

Machine ... I like, simple but effective.

Alphabet ... Clever idea for a tricky theme ... I didn't get it till it was spelt out. And I agree with @pingu666 you should have turned the light out.

Thanks David :), that light has caused me some headaches - I turned it on to check the focus, but then went ahead shooting without turning it off :mad:

Machine, I agree no shoe horn required there (y)

Alphabet, that works well too :)

Thanks Cobra - my shoehorn is feeling a bit neglected at the minute ;)

Hi, very nice composition for "alphabet" BG is a little busy and slightly distracts but an idea carried out very well (y)

Machine....Definitely not a placemat there, rather a full on machine!

Alphabet....grand idea, and apart from the aforementioned RHS curtain, it works very well. :)

Hi, very nice composition for "alphabet" BG is a little busy and slightly distracts but an idea carried out very well (y)

Thanks Allan :)

Machine....Definitely not a placemat there, rather a full on machine!

Alphabet....grand idea, and apart from the aforementioned RHS curtain, it works very well. :)

Thanks Ruth :)

I'm getting more into indoor photography, thanks to this challenge, but I do need to find a way of rigging up a plain background

Machine - I love the elegance of wind turbines and this definitely fits the bill for machine. Well spotted Lorraine (y)

Alphabet - nice interpretation and the issues have already been covered. As for rigging up a plain background I've used a number of Heath Robinson contraptions :D black or white pillowcase or sheet over a pile of books or a clothes horse. A4 sheets of craft paper or craft foam (I used a green sheet for my Alphabet pic). I also have a selectionof A2 card which I keep in an artists portfolio case under the bed :D

Machine - I love the elegance of wind turbines and this definitely fits the bill for machine. Well spotted Lorraine (y)

Alphabet - nice interpretation and the issues have already been covered. As for rigging up a plain background I've used a number of Heath Robinson contraptions :D black or white pillowcase or sheet over a pile of books or a clothes horse. A4 sheets of craft paper or craft foam (I used a green sheet for my Alphabet pic). I also have a selectionof A2 card which I keep in an artists portfolio case under the bed :D

Thanks Jill :), and thaks for the ideas for bg

I used a sheet of A3 paper for the foreground in the alphabet shot. I don't have any A2 - I wasn't too sure how to store it, but your idea about the artist's portfolio is great. I'll check ebay and see if I can find a cheapy (seems worth it as more & more I'm doing indoor shots). The big problem is fixing the bg - I have problems with my back and I struggle crawling round on the floor so I need to find a work around at table height - I never thought about a pile of books though - something else to rig up - thanks again :)

Week 15 - sound

well, how do you photograph a sound? I thought about it for quite a while and came up with the idea of how it's done in silent movies/comic books. I've converted the image to mono and added a vignette. I'm not totally happy with the shot - the background isn't ideal, grungy bricks would probably have worked better, but my friend & I thought wandering the streets with an air pistol might have attracted the wrong kind of attention.....

Anyhow, here is my (silent) take on sound...

View attachment 34822

Thanks for looking :)

Last edited:
Very good.
Right on theme and made me chuckle :)

Made me jump when that gun went off! :D

How to capture the idea of sound in a photo indeed! I'm struggling to come up with something original! But with more images like yours ........ ideas will come I'm sure!!

Perfect interpretation! And well 'shot'!!!

Sound, lol Lorraine a clever interpretation I like it (y)

A great interpretation, it is difficult theme to get in a picture, that works for me and so loud too

Very good.
Right on theme and made me chuckle :)

Made me jump when that gun went off! :D

How to capture the idea of sound in a photo indeed! I'm struggling to come up with something original! But with more images like yours ........ ideas will come I'm sure!!

Perfect interpretation! And well 'shot'!!!

Sound, lol Lorraine a clever interpretation I like it (y)

A great interpretation, it is difficult theme to get in a picture, that works for me and so loud too

wow - thanks everyone. There is a side effect - I've now got that Cher song from the 60's lodged in my brain :eek:

There is a side effect - I've now got that Cher song from the 60's lodged in my brain
Oh bad luck!
I suggest a lay down in a darkened room until the feeling subsides :D

Alphabet is very well set up you have alot going on but nothing detracts (y)
Sound fun on theme, brilliant :clap:

That definitely says sound ... well done.

[BG needs ironing]

Alphabet is very well set up you have alot going on but nothing detracts (y)
Sound fun on theme, brilliant :clap:

Thanks Simon :)

That definitely says sound ... well done.

[BG needs ironing]

Thanks David. What you're seeing isn't creases - I used a fleece throw for the BG - it didn't matter how I brushed it, I couldn't get the pile to look smooth :(. I'm still searching for the elusive clean b/g - I've had some good suggestionns from @Bruja and I'll be making a trip to the art supply shop soon to get some card

Hi Lorraine
Like the machine shot, don't know that it's a shoehorn, there's a lot of machinery up in the top there behind those blades. Nice light hitting the back of the blades. Sits well against the blue sky.

Alphabet ... Clever take on the theme. I see another B they all missed 'Balance' it's a very well balanced shot. I like the cropped version better. Works well for me. I also like that sepia look gives it that sort of Art Deco feel about it.

Sound ... Ha ha Bang Bang my baby shot me down (1966) now you've got me at it! That's a great idea! Yes I guess in this day an age walking round the streets with a pistol would probably upset the local bobbys ( are there local bobbys any more?). I like the lighting,moody and it workers for me!

Nice work, well shot!(y)

Back