weekly Mad Hatters 52 in 2013: Wk.13 Added

M

Mad Hatter

Beginner tog never tried anything like this before. Let the learning curve begin even if the results don't :)

Week 1 : Sin
Week 2 : Season
Week 3 : Gravity
Week 4 : Wild
Week 5 : Space
Week 6 : Work
Week 7 : Gluttony
Week 8 : Time
Week 9 : Juxtaposition
Week 10 :Letter
Week 11 :Electricity
Week 12 :Direction
Week 13 :Tacky
Week 14 :
Week 15 :
Week 16 :
Week 17 :
Week 18 :
Week 19 :
Week 20 :
Week 21 :
Week 22 :
Week 23 :
Week 24 :
Week 25 :
Week 26 :
Week 27 :
Week 28 :
Week 29 :
Week 30 :
Week 31 :
Week 32 :
Week 33 :
Week 34 :
Week 35 :
Week 36 :
Week 37 :
Week 38 :
Week 39 :
Week 40 :
Week 41 :
Week 42 :
Week 43 :
Week 44 :
Week 45 :
Week 46 :
Week 47 :
Week 48 :
Week 49 :
Week 50 :
Week 51 :
Week 52 :

Last edited by a moderator:
Very original; I like :) Shame the cropping is so tight around the word, but I suspect that's because you couldn't get high enough.

The tin is also a really nice touch and well arranged (I don't think that's the right word at all, my brain's already asleep I think).

Thanks for the comments. The background was a dark cover laid on the floor otherwise the terracotta carpet would have shown on the edges. Unfortunately as you correctly identified I cropped too close to prevent the carpet showing. A lesson learnt but thank you for commenting, welcomed.

Good idea Dave, crop looks tight but you just about got it all in :D

I'm surprised there's enough left after Xmas to make the word, not in our house there isn't :LOL:

Good start though, well done. (y)

Well done on your first one Dave. Certainly meets the theme, love the empty tin..

I'm going to pick on the folds in the black background, with a few specks that could be cloned out simply.

But well exposed for the bright colours of the wrapping even with the predominantly black background to potentially confuse the camera's metering. :clap:

oh - and if you include a link to this thread, from your post in the "main thread" where you have put your image, it should make life easier for others who see your shot there, and need to get here for comments! (y)

As Graham said, the BG could be better, but only really noticeable at full res. (there's a tip for you, right there)

Good strong start. 51 to go! (y)

Last edited:
Hi Dave, good'un!

I think it's nicely lit and well composed, though its just very slightly clipped left and right.

The real sin is that there are some purple ones left; not eating those before someone else gets them is supremely sinful!

You do need to include a link to this thread in the main photo submission one so people can find you to comment :)

Thank you all for the comments. Regretfully the cropping has spoilt the edges and point taken on creases still I won't change it as this was my entry. I have elements now to find my way around so this should help in the future. Much appreciated, the learning starts.
Hopefully my links now work, not my strong point even through I read the instructions.

i like the idea behind this shot a different twist on the chocolate idea :)

Hi Dave... Yep links are good (y)

As for your shot, great idea, all crit covered by others above, I like the lighting, nice bright image, well thought out... BUT I must agree, shocking there are purple ones left :D

A good start, take the crit on board and onwards and upwards... look forward to your next 51 (y)

nothing much else to say other than i really like the way some of the wrappers are giving a reflection almost like a catch light - and the exposure spot on (y)

Like it. We have very few chocolate left in the house after Christmas.

Well composed and I like the positioning of the empty tin. WB looks OK, I'd just like the BG to be an even place, slight crop on the edges.

Good start.

Cheers.

Hi Dave love the take for this one, as above criminal that THE PURPLE ONES wasn't ate while setting it up, love how the colours stand out and the empty tin at the side :clap:

Thanks all for the comments. Stuck with the original now as the purple ones have vanished somewhere..

Hi Dave.....a belated Welcome to the 52's madhouse (y)

Nice shot to start your project with , think all the crit's been mentioned...don't forget we have Reshoot card during the year.....darn good reason for treating yourself to another tin....such are the sacrifices we make for our passion :D

ps...the real Sin is the Red ones are left....Strawberry Creams...OMG...yum yum yum :LOL:

Great idea, and let me put you all straight, it's a sin that ANY are left :)

spot the chocoholic....:cautious:

same crit as everyone else really crop too close but the exposures good

A great idea for the theme. In Elements choose 'canvas size' and simply increase the horizontal by a few percent.

Well I shall start of then, remember in no expert.

I like the sun hitting the top of the block of flats, just says low winter sun. Not sure on the tree in front of the building, gets lost a little.

Good effort.

Last edited:
Really nice shot. The colours are lovely. The tree distracts a lot though. From the look of it, unless you could go wider I think you'd find this shot difficult to have trees and buildings not overlapping.

Hi, crit had been mentioned. Also the leaning left block is an issue.

The glare is cracking, thought and you've got snow. A tighter crop might have helped.

Good, and speedy post :clap:

Cheers.

This really does say "winter", well done. Love the snow, the sun, and the grouping of the buildings. I guess you're on quite a wide angle, accounting for the strongly converging verticals; these work fine on the group to the right, but the left one leans so much as to be disturbing, and to my mind takes quite a lot away from the shot. I'm not sure how you could have cropped or re-framed it, other than possible legging it 50 yards to the left... which would have lost that nice sun :thumbsdown:.(Just a thought: would a crop roughly in line with the tree trunk work? It would lose that strongly defined leaning left edge and obscure the other leaning verticals behind branch tracery...)

Really like the idea and love the sight of snow and sun together as mentioned the Tree was the first thing that got my attention and then the wonky building on the left Im also new to this and this is the type of photo I normally take so will be following the Crit / advice closely

Definitely represents 'season' but I agree with others about the tree and the leaning block on the left, well done on a quick upload.

Thanks all for the comments. When I took this shot I concentrated on the flats and skyline and the glow from the sun. Being honest the slope of the wonky block didn't particularly concern me but now it's been pointed out I can see it looks wrong and the tree is out of scale. The shot was taken with the EF-S 18-135mm at 18mm, 1/125 at f/14 with ISO 100.

Appreciate the honesty and so, opened up elements to see what could be improved (or with my lack of knowledge of PSE, worsened... :)) I have tried a keystone distortion fix, followed by a crop. I must confess that I didn't know where to start with the tree. Further C&C and advice welcomed.

Week 2: SEASON by Taffy137, on Flickr

Your image for season Dave, bang on theme. (y)

I agree with the crit already posted about the converging verticals which are fine in your edit.
I don't think there is anything could be done with the tree but IMHO, I think it adds to the composition. Cropping the lhs block and tree unbalances the image, I feel they are required elements. The tree adds depth to the frame, foreground interest drawing the viewers eye in and through to the sun reflection on the block at the rear. Its a crisp shot, with lots of detail in there, for me it works. Iain

Back