weekly Mad Hatters 52 in 2013: Wk.13 Added

A B&W conversion using a lightroom preset yellow filter

Week5 Space.jpg by Taffy137, on Flickr

To be honest I agree. I wasn't that sure about the composition in either it was more an attempt to do something different that was still in theme. So I offer an alternative

The cruel sea by Taffy137, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator:
Yet again time has passed so quickly this week and so intime for deadline, my entry for work. My apologies to those for lack of crit this week, I will endeavour to catch up as best as I can.

Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions so far.

WEEK 6: WORK by Taffy137, on Flickr

WEEK 6 : WORK by Taffy137, on Flickr

Hi Dave,
Not commented in your thread recently, apologies:(
I prefer your colour version for space, the B&W conversion loses a little detail, particularly on the pavement. I do like the composition, some nice leading lines drawing the viewers eye in and through to the person in the far distance.

Work, workstation thats bang on theme, interesting subject with all those screens, what are they? Is it flow diagrams or rail network? :thinking: Or something completely different? :LOL:

i feel the first one, the flash is a little harsh, the second close up works better IMHO because the effect of the flash is lessened.

In on time though (y) and ready for next weeks theme. Iain

I'm with Iain, I prefer the second for all the same reasons.

They look great, in on time and they look great! Well done (y)

"It's a Unix system, I know this!"

Fancy workstation setups for "work", I prefer the 2nd one. Only problem would be the different white balance/brightness of the front/back monitors, but that's hard to get around.

Hi Dave, I think its the first time here for me :wave:

Fits in well with the treme 'Work' (still not sure what all the screens are for)
2nd one for me due how you are drawn the the two large screens :)

Hi Dave...nearly missed you cos I can't get the link in the photo's only thread to work :crying:

Work....why has everyone got far more interesting jobs than me :crying: Dunno what the screens are showing you but looks fascinating , think I prefer #2 for the closeness & has a busy work like feel to it :)

WEEK 7: Gluttony by Taffy137, on Flickr

Theme is from one of a range of 'T' shirts I have by Weird Fish. The edit was colour burning to the puffer fish to make it stand out from the others and the sin 'gluttony' painted

A bit close to end of the week in running close to deadline again. Hopefully things will pan out a bit better.

From week 6 work theme:

Dunno what the screens are showing you but looks fascinating , think I prefer #2 for the closeness & has a busy work like feel to it :)

I almost hesitate to say it, but those screens might look really good with selective colour *runs and hides*

(...still not sure what all the screens are for)
2nd one for me due how you are drawn the the two large screens :)

Hi Dave,
or rail network? :thinking:

Iain

You are correct! (y)

I'm with Iain, I prefer the second for all the same reasons.

They look great, in on time and they look great! Well done (y)

Just for info, the pictures are of modern 'state of the art' railway signalling workstations, each worked by a signaller. Each workstation controls different areas of the rail network. For diversity two pictures are shown to illustrate the different make up of monitors depending on the area and intensity of control.

Hi dave, :wave: You hit the theme well here.

My only negative is that it looks like a poster to me, perhaps the story would have been clearer if you could have included some more of the t shirt?

Week 8: TIME by Taffy137, on Flickr

Time Flies with the Red Arrows!

How I went about creating this. It was my first attempt at creating anything in LR/PSE other than just a bit of previous touching up here and there. Firstly propped up my watch (Citizen RAF Red Arrows - hence theme) to get the angle I wanted and took a few shots against a black towel, then went outside with my Sigma 150-500 and took a shot of the moon over the roof tops. The photo of a RAF Red Arrow on final approach for landing I had already taken at RAF Scampton. Created new document in elements with a black solid gradient background, brought in layers of the moon and 4 progressively scaled down watch layers and also a few adjustment layers. Imported the aircraft and painted out the previous daylight background, added it as a layer adjusting the size and rotation slightly with further adjustments. Added some text in quartz font to keep the watch theme and finally merged all the layers together. I learnt a lot over about 6 hours of trial and error in finding my way. Someone proficient would have probably put it together in 15 minutes!

I like it, lots of good pp work!

Surely everyone's time has flown by watching the reds, i know lots of mine has :D

Hi Dave

Gluttuny....agree with seeing more of the t-shirt but like the colors , really pops :)

Time.....WOW....that was some exercise in pp & far more than I could get my head round !

The watch's & moon really work well , very sharp & nicely composed , like the moon coming out of the corner :clap:
The only niggle for me ( & I do apologise as you've put so much work in to this & it's not something I could do ) is the white outline on the plane ..how you avoid it I dont know though

Hi Dave :)

Gluttony - Sorry... certainly on theme but think it looks more like a drawing rather than photography :)

Time - That's different too, good PP, an interesting idea again but again for me a lot of PP when the 3 different elements have a lot of though and effort put into them, 10/10 for effort (y)

I like it, lots of good pp work!

Surely everyone's time has flown by watching the reds, i know lots of mine has :D

Thankyou Lisa, although very much trial and error. It won't be too long before the 'Reds' season will be starting!

Hi Dave

Gluttuny....agree with seeing more of the t-shirt but like the colors , really pops :)

Time.....WOW....that was some exercise in pp & far more than I could get my head round !

The watch's & moon really work well , very sharp & nicely composed , like the moon coming out of the corner :clap:
The only niggle for me ( & I do apologise as you've put so much work in to this & it's not something I could do ) is the white outline on the plane ..how you avoid it I dont know though

Hi Lynne, this is the general census in that more shirt should have been shown and in hindsight I agree it would have looked better.

I must admit I don't know how I could overcome the white line, it took all my brain cells to fathom out what i'd done. I'm sure with a bit of basic playing around with PSE you would manage to do the same, that's all I did. I wish I was really proficient at PS.

Hi Dave

Think you have done a great job here Im still waiting to dabble my hands at PS or similar but enjoy seeing what others make from it

Thankyou Craig. Please try when you have the chance. I think it's very much hands on learning as you go. It is daunting when you look at the screen at first (still is to me:LOL:) there are a few around on here who appear to be very good :thinking: :help:

Hi Dave :)

Gluttony - Sorry... certainly on theme but think it looks more like a drawing rather than photography :)

Time - That's different too, good PP, an interesting idea again but again for me a lot of PP when the 3 different elements have a lot of though and effort put into them, 10/10 for effort (y)

No problem DK, that's fair comment and thanks for the crit. I can see your point and agree that it isn't really tog on either. Just a basic shot that has been pp up for Gluttony. I agree with the the comments on Time Flies too,its all a bit too manufactured rather than actual tog. I learnt something from it which was the main thing. Thanks, appreciate the honesty (y)

Although I love the composition and colours on the time one, I find myself wondering if it would work better if the landing gear was removed?

Yes I would agree Tony, it would have, as the scene doesn't lend itself to an aircraft on finals. Good suggestion (y)

Good work with time - and good for you for taking all the shots yourself rather than nabbing a moon shot from google images!

The white line you might have been able to remove, by when you made the selection of the plane, shrinking the selection by one or two pixels. Or there is a remove white matte option in PS (although not used myself (yet)).

I might have also got rid of the patches on the black - either use burn tool, or simply paint back over them.

Finish Time...

RC yachts racing on the loch.

Week 8: Time (Vers. 2) by Taffy137, on Flickr

RC yachts coming close to finish time...

Not so much PP manufacturing on this one, just a little gentle PP applied. Thanks for looking.

Time - clever idea, and good use of photoshop but for me each item looks a bit too unreal and cut out.

Gluttony - that's a great poster :)

Im seeing big & small contrasting boats? Or is it the orange contrasting with the white/grey boats or even both?

Either way from what i know of the theme and from what i can see in your image it works for me.

i think i might need an explanation for this :thinking:

Well my interpretation on theme was an abstract of two similarly (not necessarily identical) related things. So in my understanding the yacht (item 1) and inflatable dinghies (item 2) are from the same theme of types of boats which are juxtaposition (in the angles) from each other. :)

Looks like a juxtaposition to me.

The angles, the colour, the size, the cost.....

Works well. (y)

Too many items in the photo to be really on subject for me. I am not sure which of the small items provides the jux...

Hi ya

like the Rc boats shot....had to check a few times to see if there was some tilt shift going on...

Juxtaposition......looks on theme to me...the grey dinghy's get in the way slightly but short of moving them I'm not sure what you could've done :)

Hi, Dave, I wasn't sure about Letter, so came back to it. It's grown on me. A very simple interpretation. I like the contrast between the red and blue.

On this occasion I feel a square crop might work, I'd also like the poll to be vertical.

Cheers.

Back