weekly Mad Hatters 52 in 2013: Wk.13 Added

certainly fits the theme.. your edited version works very well.. I don't mind the tree there

the edit is better it certainly looks stark and cold and fits the theme

Hi Dave :wave:

where's the shot :thinking: it's in the main photo thread :thinking:

I like the way the contrail seems to coming from the sun to the windows & you can def tell it's winter season....that looks a fair frost mister (y)

I know it's lens distortion but the left building seems to have a serious list on it :eek:... not sure what editing suite you run but there may be something in it to correct that ?

'Scuse the above ramblings.....you're editied image has appeared as I'm typing :bonk:
Start again.....lefthhand building well corrected...the other's I'm not so sure about now ....elements has Camera Distortion if you shot RAW..quite easy to use with some crazy results if you go to far :D

Quite like the tree , nicely sharp throughout & well exposed (y)

Hi Dave,

Week 1 isn't showing for me for some reason. Flickr says it doesn't exist...

I like what you've done with Season. I actually prefer the first shot. Your edit has corrected the verticals on the left buildings but the right one has a "kink" in the top. The original has everything with a slight lean and that sits on my eye better.

On my monitor and with my eyes, I can see some abberation to the left hand edge of the left building and the right hand edge of the right building.

Thoughtful planning to use one of the buildings to block out the sun, and the reflection adds a nice touch. The tree adds to the shot for me, combining nature with the urban feel to the buildings.

Well done!

Ian.

Nicely spotted, fits the theme really well.
colours, composition etc. are nice but the distortion is spoiling it for me.

I don't know if elements has the "Adaptive Wide Angle" filter but your image would have benefited greatly from its careful use.

see you next week! :)

Great picture, growing up in Lincolnshire it takes me back to seeing them practice when I was a kid :)

Nailed that one Dave, top shot!! :clap:

Hi Dave,
Gravity, simply perfect (y)
Absolutely no crit to add to this, lighting, composition and presentation all bang on :)

Wild, again bang on theme all technically very good (y)
Crit? For me I feel that the subjects need to be doing something IYSWIM. The exception in the set is the bird on the feeder, it has more dynamic feel. IMHO. Cheers Iain

I do like that first wild one. The way he's looking directly at you it's as if he's saying "Really? An apple? Do I LOOK like a vegetarian to you?"

nice set of pics love the eyes in the first the robin is a bit dark needs a little lift the woodpecker and the chaffinch are the best ones for me :clap:

Like the Robin shot but the Sparrow-hawk would have to be my favourite, amazing bird. The eyes look fantastic and the DOF, composition spot on.

As others have said, Gravity is definitely printable. Great shot. And that bird is definitely WILD. I think there's a pleasing set of OOF twigs as well, leading my eye around the bird and the (wild?) apple...

Great shots of the birds there, make my Dunnock look like, well - a Dunnock! :LOL:
Nothing wrong with a Dunnock Brian. I knew that RSPB Bird book would come in useful one day :)

Hi Dave,
...For me I feel that the subjects need to be doing something IYSWIM. The exception in the set is the bird on the feeder, it has more dynamic feel. IMHO. Cheers Iain
Good suggestion, thanks Iain

I do like that first wild one. The way he's looking directly at you it's as if he's saying "Really? An apple? Do I LOOK like a vegetarian to you?"
Excellent, I like that :LOL:

...the robin is a bit dark needs a little lift...:clap:
I was that busy concentrating on my first go at the 7D (which I have had a month!, scared?) that I didn't compensate for the snow. It has been pointed out that the darkness is due to the snow tricking the camera metering. Something I now know about. (y)

Wow beautiful shots. Wish I had such willing models :LOL:
I was just lucky. They were back and forth quite a bit (except the Sparrowhawk) must have felt a bit sympathetic towards the rookie in the hide. :nuts::shake::help:

Like the Robin shot but the Sparrow-hawk would have to be my favourite, amazing bird. The eyes look fantastic and the DOF, composition spot on.
Thank you.

... Makes mental note not to submit bird shots onto the 52 challenge.

Yours really have the wow factor...
Thankyou for your kind comments but please don't do that. It was only my 2nd time in the hide at the reserve and first with a new camera. I had read a few bird webpages in relation to the 7D settings and tried the settings accordingly. I also think luck played a big part and the Sigma 150-500mm. I've still a lot to learn with the 7D, its a major step up from the 550D.

...those orange eyes. Great shot :)

As others have said, Gravity is definitely printable. Great shot. And that bird is definitely WILD. I think there's a pleasing set of OOF twigs as well, leading my eye around the bird and the (wild?) apple...

Nice set. Robin for me, the red really pops.

Cheers.

Really nice capture, bang on theme and really nice catch :clap:

The red arrows shot is a cracker i think, and your bird shots are amazing! I wish i could even spot birds like that in the wild never mind photograph them, great set!

Thank you.

Thank you all for your kind comments and suggestions. Appreciate it and also welcome any advice on the 7D.

Last edited by a moderator:
great set of bird images.. my fave is the robin.. love that line of moss on the branch

that first wild shot is great - like he looks surprised or youve caught him in the act lol

They are great and i also particularly like the robin shot although id have preferred it be a little lighter (y)

Good shot - plenty to look at - like how the reflection in the window fades away the further it goes down, leaving the important part (for this weeks theme) clearly on show.

Great perspective with the line of the windows and pavement...

Maybe just the back half of the van I'd rather not be there??

Nice idea and nicely with the theme. So much space like this atm!

Season: Much prefer your edit with the upright block, I would have sat and watched waiting for it to fall over. Nicely on theme.

Gravity: Agree with get it printed and up on wall - looks almost painted, great picture

Wild. Favourite of these is the woodpecker, nice action shot and looks wild or mad with that open beak

Space: Nicely on theme with empty space and nice clean picture, might have preferred it with no people/vehicles to continue with the empty space aspect

Hi ya

just spotted the rest of your bird shots......lovely set all of them...good sharp eye's , lovely detail in the feathers & very jealous of the woody...been trying to get on of those for a while & not succeeding :crying:

Space......can't add to whats been said already I'm afraid

Space is on theme and I suspect there will be many more empty properties. Nice perspective and I suspect a B&W conversion would add to the gritty and desolate feel of the subject matter.

Cheers.

Back