weekly Mad Hatters 52 in 2013: Wk.13 Added

Like already said square or even maybe a portrait crop might work better. Works for the theme.

disagree about the square crop but would have placed it on a third, its a simple picture but i like the dead space :clap:

looks like the crop's going to divide opinion, I downloaded it and tried a few different crops - none that I liked though.

Think the simplicity allows the sign to be central. Straighten the post though for me.
Good job - sometimes the simple ideas work the best!

I agree with Graham, a simple but effective take on the theme Dave (y)

A wee tweak in pp to straighten the pole and its spot on for me. iain

Great idea for the theme. I think it lacks some punch, perhaps try again when the light is better...not that I'm wishing you a trip to A&E!

Hi Dave

simple take on the theme but it works , straighten the pole a smidge & maybe a little more light on the sign red bit & it works for me :)

Electric - simple idea - well composed - lovely blue sky... I vaguely remember them...

Direction - love the low key look you have got here, square crop spot on. Wondered where the top of the A had disappeared to, then realised it must be under the indicator needle.... Wonder if you could have brought this needle out a little more - to show it pointing to a direction??

Electric - technically it works and it's bang on theme, but I think it's a little dull subject wise? Can't fault the shot though.

Direction - Nice detail, looks to be sharp too. Nice one! The shadowy bottom right is just a smidge too dark for me though, maybe lightened slightly? :)

edited version for direction is much, much better Dave! Well done. (y)

Another vote for the edited version Dave, (y)

Bang on theme too, good work

As said, the basic subject of the Electric shot is dull, but in fact you've made a nice shot out of it (disclosure: I have 5 attempts, nowhere near as good). Second go at Direction is much the better, and a very nice shot... I now realise the direction pointer WAS in the first shot, which is why the A of AZIMUTH looked so odd!

Hello Dave,

Love your direction picture and its the second shot with the needle/hand that does it for me. Love the lighting and the dark feel to it. (y)

Hi Dave

Missed you so far - sorry - now subscribed.

You have had many comments so I won't add any detail . But i do like the themes and compositions of the buildings in the winter sun, the Red Arrows, the seascape and the Direction shot. I really like your bird shots, must take a lot of patience and knowledge getting those. The sparrowhawk is great (y)

Ewwwww, looks tacky enough!

Hands and sticky stuff look great, but overall the image would be better without the red rectangle in my opinion, it just looks wrong to me. Sorry.

Last edited:
That's the lid :)

Hi, John, like your nails :D

bang on theme and bet it too a while to get off.

Crit, well if I didn't know any better I'd say they tube of glue/lid had been 'shopped in :thinking:

Cheers.

that is an incredible amount of eeeeooooowwwww stickiness..... really captured the feel and texture and tackyness of the glue, the oooze, and the stretch and the cling of it...

Kinda agreeing with Andy about the glue being added in later... esp visible seeing as you've put the full-res version up on flickr.. You might like to try using a softer edged brush (decrease the hardness) to be a bit more forgiving when you're painitng in the mask.

I actually think the shot works fine without the glue anyway - the amount on the hands looks far too much to have come from that tube anyway!!

That is REALLY tacky, great shot!

Thanks for trying Marsha, my 52's are offline at the mo.

Regretfully I am retiring from the 52s' for this year. Good luck and photography to you all.

Kind regards

Dave

Sorry to see you go Dave - some great shots from you these past weeks, and appreciate your comments around the other threads too!

All the best.

Back