weekly Manxmaid's 52 in 2013 (Week 49 & 50: Colour & Fantasy added!)

Week 26: Pair

I was delighted to spot these trainers on the beach while pondering the 'Pair' theme. Their bright colours were the perfect contrast with the sunny beach beyond.

TP Week 26: Pair
by manxmaid2000, on Flickr

That's me officially at the halfway stage, albeit adding the photos almost six months late! :)

Last edited:
Hi Andrea...welcome back....& what a mega come back it is !

Too many to crit all so I'll pick the stand out one's for me.....

Pair.....well spotted...as you say the blue contrasts perfectly with the muted colors of the bg

Direction....really like that , the bold yellow contrasts well with the road & rocks....not sure on the blue sky though as it draws my eye a little.....has this seen a touch of HDR ? if so then it's been done really well :clap:

Pattern....lovely abstract with good detail in the teeth of the cogs

Movement....really really like this....very calming to look at , can almost hear the movement in the wind , simple color palette ,could see this done as a set of 3 on a wall.......:clap: may be try to tone the brightness down just a smidge on the in focus grass ?

Process...bit of a stretch to the theme maybe ( or I could just be living up to my name but I like it , sharp , virtually symetrical & the swirls in the clouds are great (y)

Keep going missus.....:)

Hi Andrea...welcome back....& what a mega come back it is !

Too many to crit all so I'll pick the stand out one's for me.....

Pair.....well spotted...as you say the blue contrasts perfectly with the muted colors of the bg

Direction....really like that , the bold yellow contrasts well with the road & rocks....not sure on the blue sky though as it draws my eye a little.....has this seen a touch of HDR ? if so then it's been done really well :clap:

Pattern....lovely abstract with good detail in the teeth of the cogs

Movement....really really like this....very calming to look at , can almost hear the movement in the wind , simple color palette ,could see this done as a set of 3 on a wall.......:clap: may be try to tone the brightness down just a smidge on the in focus grass ?

Process...bit of a stretch to the theme maybe ( or I could just be living up to my name but I like it , sharp , virtually symetrical & the swirls in the clouds are great (y)

Keep going missus.....:)

Thank you, Lynne! I think you've picked out my favourites too :) For most of the year I've been playing catch up so some of the pictures haven't been as strong as I'd like, but it's been a great process and I've enjoyed trying to capture the themes as best I can. I intend to try again in 2014 and hopefully keep up properly this time so I can do better.

Yes, there was a touch of HDR on the Direction image. It's not usually my thing but I liked the way it made the yellow 'pop'. I struggled a bit with the colours in the Movement image as it was quite flat and I was trying to bring some contrast up, so I'll look at that one again. Glad you like it and 'got' it!

I'll keep going! :)

Week 27: Shape

I struggled with this theme as it was a busy time and I felt I couldn't give my photography enough time and thought, so although I was pleased to see the lines and curves in these railings on such a contrasty day, it's one I intended to revisit.

TP Week 27: Shape

Week 31: Mono

I think this image of a disconsolate goalkeeper fits the theme 'mono' for a number of reasons. Not just the monochromatic tones, but also the sense that mono means "one, single, lone" and this young man with the number one on his back is very much alone with his thoughts.

TP Week 31: Mono

Last edited:
Week 33: Beginning

"Port Erin began here", says the plaque on the wall beside St Catherine's Well, and which sprang to mind as soon as I saw this week's theme. "This source of fresh water inspired fishermen centuries ago to settle hereabouts. Port Erin began here".

TP Week 33: Beginning

Beginning is a lovely image :) Its the colours reflecting on the water that make the picture for me (y)

I did find myself wanting to see a little more detail on the underside of the arch though :)

Last edited:
Hi Ya

had to pop in again.....your image for Connection is just Perfect......fab DOF , lovely natural skin tone...simply wonderful :clap:

& as for Port Erin....love it....... that spot is now on my list of places to find next visit , been to Port Erin but not that spot

Beginning is a lovely image :) Its the colours reflecting on the water that make the picture for me (y)

I did find myself wanting to see a little more detail on the underside of the arch though :)

Thanks for looking in, Phil. I agree, but apart from the little bit of red on the very edge of those top stones, that's all I could get. The light was tricky and it's one I will go back and try again next time there's a decent sunset. :)

Hi Ya

had to pop in again.....your image for Connection is just Perfect......fab DOF , lovely natural skin tone...simply wonderful :clap:

& as for Port Erin....love it....... that spot is now on my list of places to find next visit , been to Port Erin but not that spot

Thanks, Lynne, she was a very striking looking lady and I was pleased with the image. They sound good too! :) The well is just above the beach in Port Erin; if you go down to the lower prom and turn right instead of following the main road round to the left, it's towards the end of that little lane, just before the 'Cosy Nook' cafe.

Well I will be struggling to comment on everything but of the recent shots I think connection is an absolute belter. Sharp, vivid, capturing the emotion/joy of the singer...love it

I am also liking shape, but can't help wondering if a crop to ensure the two rails end top left and bottom right corners of the image might work a little better?

Last edited:
Well I will be struggling to comment on everything but of the recent shots I think connection is an absolute belter. Sharp, vivid, capturing the emotion/joy of the singer...love it

I am also liking shape, but can't help wondering if a crop to ensure the two rails end top left and bottom right corners of the image might work a little better?

Thanks for looking in, Chris, and any feedback is very welcome (y) I'm glad you liked Connection, and I had a fantastic 'model' to work with :) I know exactly what you mean about Shape and I tried various crops to achieve that, but then the upright ended up being too central in the frame for my liking and I didn't have enough spare space around the edges to play with. Grrrr.

Cracking still image Andrea, reminds me of the summer.

If I was to pick any faults it would be the orange bits (life rings I suppose), other than those it is perfect IMHO (y)

Cracking still image Andrea, reminds me of the summer.

If I was to pick any faults it would be the orange bits (life rings I suppose), other than those it is perfect IMHO (y)

Thanks, Mark. Yes, they are life rings - well spotted! Glad you like it and thanks for commenting.

Well done ANdrea, pity you were'nt able to post these up one at a time during the year - would have been able to have a proper look and comment on them..

But of the recent deluge of shots you've put up... I love...

the processing on direction
teh capture of the gull for below, thats great
the light and POV for beginning
the beautiful scene for still

:thumbs

Well done ANdrea, pity you were'nt able to post these up one at a time during the year - would have been able to have a proper look and comment on them..

But of the recent deluge of shots you've put up... I love...

the processing on direction
teh capture of the gull for below, thats great
the light and POV for beginning
the beautiful scene for still

:thumbs

Oh Graham, I wish I had! :) Apart from this mad scramble now, it would have been great to have been more involved here throughout the year. I won't get so behind this time, but having taken most of the shots throughout the year I want to try to get them uploaded. Thank you for looking in and for your feedback, and I'm hoping to get the last few uploaded or taken in the next couple of days.

Week 41: Live

Taken on my phone at a Texas concert in the Birmingham Symphony Hall, and with a little noise reduction to the best shot of the night I was fairly pleased with the quality and colour of this. However, also very frustrated that there were plenty of bridge and SLR cameras in use whereas I'd left mine behind due to the strict warnings from the venue. If I do it again, I'll chance taking a better camera!

TP Week 41: Live

With only four of the remaining ten themes 'in the can', feeling generally ropey and with howling gales outside, I'm probably going to have to use older shots to fill in the six gaps to make sure that I don't start the 2014 52 with a backlog. I've had enough of catching up! Obviously I'd prefer to take pictures specifically for the six themes I haven't already got, but if I haven't managed that in the next few days I'll see if I have any older shots that will fit the theme or play a joker to finish.

Well what can I say Andrea but a MASSIVE WELL DONE for catching up this much already, It's a real shame you didn't manage to post them regularly during the year as I think you have a great eye for an image and many people would have took encouragement from your shots

Look forward to seeing your remaining images and more importantly concentrating on the 2014 52, looking forward to seeing them (y)

Well what can I say Andrea but a MASSIVE WELL DONE for catching up this much already, It's a real shame you didn't manage to post them regularly during the year as I think you have a great eye for an image and many people would have took encouragement from your shots

Look forward to seeing your remaining images and more importantly concentrating on the 2014 52, looking forward to seeing them (y)

Have to say I agree some really nice stuff would have been nice to see during the year

Have to say I agree some really nice stuff would have been nice to see during the year

Thanks Allan. I aim to keep up and be much more involved this year!

& still she's sticking with it.....I fell your pain at being ropey...still suffering after 3 weeks :(

The shot for reflection is in deed a great shot..well spotted & framed (y)

Thanks Lynne :)

Week 42: Melt

In view of ongoing poor health and ever poorer weather, this is one of the 'archive' shots that fits a theme. It was taken as part of a studio workshop this summer using frozen flowers and fruit and was a really interesting exercise.

TP Week 43: Melt

Back