weekly Marsha's 2014 52 Week 11 added 03 Apr.

Hi Hun

good to hear you're feeling better & that you've got some images framed :clap:

Time....long exposure = Time so no crowbar needed for me ,the edit with the filter applied lowers the brightness just enough & lovely color in the water (y) Not so sure about the border , seems a bit heavy ?

Hi Hun

Time....long exposure = Time so no crowbar needed for me ,the edit with the filter applied lowers the brightness just enough & lovely color in the water (y) Not so sure about the border , seems a bit heavy ?

Ah I wouldn't let Marsha off the hook that easy Lynne :D
Your narrative helps it into theme Marsha which is no bad thing (y)
I agree about it being colour, it would be such a shame to lose those lovely tones in the water.
It doesn't look blurry to me either, just a little tweak in the composition is all I would suggest, good work Marsha.

Thanks everyone.

Lovely image Marsha, even if its a bit of a crowbar job ;) a lot of nice detail in the rocks (y)
Thanks Judi
hi marsha - that looks a really lovely spot... dreamers bay indeed.

Lovely light on the rocks - the edit is an improvement although the original wasn't bad.. The movement / stillness in the sea, as well as the awesome colour really adds an extra dimension to the shot.

Only thing buggin me is the main rock being close to the one behind it..... what happens if you step left to make the main one become in a triangle with the two behind it?? (how wet do you get?? :)) Here's what I think it could look like. :D
It is lovely down there Graham, and needs a lot more exploring. Last time I was here I hardly went down there, but this time I feel it may be one of my regular haunts!
I can actually step left as the waves were trying to get me on the right hand side! I'll try and get back down there this week!
Is this another one of your Cyprus "winter landscapes"? :D:exit:

The blueness of the water is nice but I do feel I'd like something of more interest in the image.
How very dare you mock my 'wintery' theme' It did rain here you know, we had to wear coats at least once that week :exit:
Not sure how I would add interest here though!

Hey Marsha :)

Loving that long exposure, I'd also like to see a bit more in the foreground, shame you couldn't go just right a little more, although I see what you were doing with the biggest rock on both the 1/3 & 1/3 lines, the combination you have of the smooth tumbled rocks and silky blue water is very nice (y)
I could go right, but it would mean getting feet wet. I was wearing sandals but the water is still a bit too fresh for my tootsies just now!

Hi Hun

Hi Lynne, I very rarely use borders, but it looked quite nice on the big screen! I shall tone it down next time :)

Ah I wouldn't let Marsha off the hook that easy Lynne :D
Your narrative helps it into theme Marsha which is no bad thing (y)
I agree about it being colour, it would be such a shame to lose those lovely tones in the water.
It doesn't look blurry to me either, just a little tweak in the composition is all I would suggest, good work Marsha.
Iain, are you suggesting there is a slight hint of a shoehorn here :cautious:
I intend on making the most of the glorious warm weather here and going back down this week.

It's a lovely shot - the blurred water is very appropriate for the name of the bay. What a lovely spot you live in! Only crit is that the frame doesn't look right to me, it's too heavy for the picture. Suggest either thinner black border, another colour or none.

Hi Marsha -just a bit of ;)
Nice calming image - the edit is better with the rocks at the back darkened a little. Agree with Graham that the rocks to the right could have been a bit better composed. Lovely colours
Only thing buggin me is the main rock being close to the one behind it..... what happens if you step left to make the main one become in a triangle with the two behind it?? (how wet do you get?? :)) Here's what I think it could look like. :D

And wasn't it good of Graham to fly out and take the shot again to demonstrate his point :LOL:

Last edited:
Time - love the composition, the colours are great I like I think any crit I would give has been mentioned.
Thanks Mandy.
Hi there...a really relaxing image...it makes me want to be there right now :)I like the silky softness of the water against the white cliffs. The water looks almost painted....beautiful colour.
Cheers Susie.
Nice silkiness to the water and like the colours. Looks like a lovely spot (y)
Thanks Michael, it is a lovely spot, very relaxing indeed.
It's a lovely shot - the blurred water is very appropriate for the name of the bay. What a lovely spot you live in! Only crit is that the frame doesn't look right to me, it's too heavy for the picture. Suggest either thinner black border, another colour or none.
Noted on the border, I'll tone it down if I use one again!
Hi Marsha -just a bit of ;)
Nice calming image - the edit is better with the rocks at the back darkened a little. Agree with Graham that the rocks to the right could have been a bit better composed. Lovely colours

And wasn't it good of Graham to fly out and take the shot again to demonstrate his point :LOL:
Shoehorn? Me? Never! And yes it was good of Graham to pop out ;)

Sorry I've been a bit MIA these last few weeks, been a touch busy! I need to catch up before the Easter holidays! I wasn't aware school kids had so much time off!

Spiral, or should I say swirl! I actually took these for my March POTY entries but decided on something completely different. This is a very narrow spiral staircase in Kolossi Castle. I was laid on the floor looking up, I know I was looking up but it still messes with my head!

Same stairs, different angle:

The start burst in the top one was a light on the wall, difficult to shoot these stairs without that in it or it's bright spot caused by it! A long exposure was require hence the star burst.

Any C&C welcome, but I accept I'll not get much due to by lack of participation this year.

Last edited:
Sense reshoot.

I found these tiny critters crawling around in my kitchen cupboards :runaway: Not overly amused! So I have sought to get rid of them. The white dollop is a mixture of icing sugar and bicarbonate of soda, apparently mix the two, add some water and stick it where you see ants. They are drawn to the icing sugar due to their apparently AMAZING sense of smell, they eat both the bicarb and the sugar. The bicarb turns to formic acid in their stomachs and they are no more! It's not instant and they should carry the stuff back to the nests! So what do I do? Stick my camera in and try and photograph them! They are really really small, about 2-3mm!

C&C welcome if you can stand looking this closely!

Marsha that first one for swirl is a cracking shot! If you hadn't said, I would have thought you were looking down the stairs - definitely messes with your head :confused:

Sense - really good detail and shiny bits, but ANTS :eek:

The first of the spiral stone staircase is a cracker Marsha, great detail, the star burst makes it for me (y) Yes, up or down :confused: :D

The ants image is good (y), I've had a look on flickr, viewed at large there's some great detail that's lost viewed at this size. I think you could have cropped a lot closer (y) :)

yep - swirly staircase looking up is a beaut... you have something better for POTY?? (Or just differenter??)

Starburst is a great addition.... It's smaller apertures that give starbursts, not necessarily long exposures. (Although the two are intrinsically linked). :geek:

#1 for me. The hight perspective emphasises the spiral and the steps. Good detail.

I think it might make a good high contrast black and white.

Cheers.

HI, number one for me also, though 2 is also a good image but as Graham said the starburst is a nice touch

Marsha that first one for swirl is a cracking shot! If you hadn't said, I would have thought you were looking down the stairs - definitely messes with your head :confused:

Sense - really good detail and shiny bits, but ANTS :eek:
I know what you mean about the stairs, I had to check my brain,, it kept telling me I was looking down, but I know I was looking up :wacky:
I ants are not the best photographic subjects!

The first of the spiral stone staircase is a cracker Marsha, great detail, the star burst makes it for me (y) Yes, up or down :confused: :D
Thanks Phil,
The ants image is good (y), I've had a look on flickr, viewed at large there's some great detail that's lost viewed at this size. I think you could have cropped a lot closer (y) :)
I have already cropped quite a bit on the ants, but I could probably go further!
yep - swirly staircase looking up is a beaut... you have something better for POTY?? (Or just differenter??) Starburst is a great addition....
Dam I am beginning to think I made the wrong choice :runaway:The shot I entered is very different to this! My difficulty with these two was trying to pick between them, and I wasn't sure if the start burst would make or break it!
It's smaller apertures that give starbursts, not necessarily long exposures. (Although the two are intrinsically linked). :geek:
I'll take your word for it :geek:
#1 for me. The hight perspective emphasises the spiral and the steps. Good detail.

I think it might make a good high contrast black and white.
Thanks Andy, I did try these in mono, but I just couldn't get it to look right!

HI, number one for me also, though 2 is also a good image but as Graham said the starburst is a nice touch
Cheers Allan.

Hi Marsha
Like Mandy I can't chose between the two, they both make me feel a bit dizzy, can see why they would mess up your head, good lighting for such a narrow space well done (y)(y)
Sense... love it, horrible little critters, hope they enjoyed their supper;)

Swirl - I prefer #1 although I had assumed you were looking down the stairs until you said

Reshoot - Good for you for grabbing the camera. The ones at the front are certainly sharp. Cinnamon is another deterrent for ants. It doesn't kill them but they do hate it and run a mile - or at least into next door's garden :p

Hey Marsha :)

Swirl - Super detail in both these shots, especially viewed large... both very interesting in their own way, for me it has to be the first shot, Crit wise, very picky but I'd love to see the cable cloned out, I really like the starburst from the light, and the spiral leads my eye right up to it, love the masses of textures and lines/angles :clap:

Thank you Judi, Peter, DK and Alan. My camera hasn't been out much thanks to the kids school holidays and I was baking a birthday cake last week! I have a few days to try and commence a catch up before tackling my sons birthday cake next week!

Off to make a list now to find out what needs doing!

Back