weekly Michael23's 2012 52 COMPLETED! WooHoo! Slide show added

Two versions of this weeks object. I decided on using a cash box and wasn't sure on leaving the handle up or popping it, I decided to leave it up, and now I'm not so sure :LOL: So, one with and one without it.

A darkened room and a bit of light painting to light. A bit of deepen on the colours and a saturation boost, I then did a black and white conversion. After this I did a contrast boost and a slight crop to remove distractions.

Week 5, Secure by scilly puffin, on Flickr

Week 5, Secure inc Handle by scilly puffin, on Flickr

Nice work Michael, for me I prefer the one without the handle. I like your thinking of putting it in there but it isn't obvious enough. Good processing too, the B+W works well.

Liked it as soon as it popped up.

B&W was the only choice here. #1 for me. I'd like to see a bit more rotation to the left :)thinking:), and a bit less light. The 3 small bright bits around the left third are a tad distracting.

I'm begining to really get drawn to dead space and this is a fine example.

Cheers.

Hi Michael, Well done on getting two shots both well lit. I prefer #1 as I find the handle distracting - if there was a little more light on the handle it might work.

A good idea to convert to B&W and something I need to work on!

Hi Michael, I'm catching up...

The sigh (2) is really different; I know your eyes can get like that when you're reading to the kids. Good idea and just the right amount of swirl.
I like the sweet oranges best. Don't know why but opal fruits came to mind. Nice.
I too prefer the box not showing the handle. Looks good in b&w with nice focus and lighting on the lock.

Last edited:
Agree a good idea you had there and the mono really works well. Might be tempted just to get rid of that indentation on the right hand side in the middle as it is a little distracting.

Good work :)

Hi Michael
Secure - good simple idea, treated simply and exemplifying the theme. I find the handle distracting and I don't think that it adds to the pic or the theme. I do like the refelections and the slightly battered, worn appearance of the box.
I agree with posiview re the 3 spots to the left.

Nice work Michael, for me I prefer the one without the handle. I like your thinking of putting it in there but it isn't obvious enough. Good processing too, the B+W works well.

Liked it as soon as it popped up.

B&W was the only choice here. #1 for me. I'd like to see a bit more rotation to the left :)thinking:), and a bit less light. The 3 small bright bits around the left third are a tad distracting.

I'm begining to really get drawn to dead space and this is a fine example.

Cheers.

Hi Michael, Well done on getting two shots both well lit. I prefer #1 as I find the handle distracting - if there was a little more light on the handle it might work.

A good idea to convert to B&W and something I need to work on!

Hi Michael, I'm catching up...

The sigh (2) is really different; I know your eyes can get like that when you're reading to the kids. Good idea and just the right amount of swirl.
I like the sweet oranges best. Don't know why but opal fruits came to mind. Nice.
I too prefer the box not showing the handle. Looks good in b&w with nice focus and lighting on the lock.

Agree a good idea you had there and the mono really works well. Might be tempted just to get rid of that indentation on the right hand side in the middle as it is a little distracting.

Good work :)

Hi Michael
Secure - good simple idea, treated simply and exemplifying the theme. I find the handle distracting and I don't think that it adds to the pic or the theme. I do like the refelections and the slightly battered, worn appearance of the box.
I agree with posiview re the 3 spots to the left.

Hi everyone, thanks very much for the comments, much appreciated, I have decided I don't like the handle, as said it may well have been better if it had more light around the top. I missed the highlights on the left hand side, and goodness knows how I missed the dints :LOL: It's NEW as well! Maybe they gave it a :bonk: to test it was ok :LOL:

So, please see the edit below, minus the highlights and dints and a slight rotation, I actually prefer this one now over the others. (y)

secure cloned dints and lights by scilly puffin, on Flickr

Cash box works well, I also prefer the one without the handle though a more obvious handle might work.

Hi Carol, thanks for your comments. I am pleased that I have inspired you (y)(y) The shade of black, that does make sense. It's amazing what uses a black bin bag has!
The swirl was basically a distortion filter applied in pp. The software I used for this edit is photoscape, a totally free download and a great piece of software too. There is a slider for maximising the effect. I quite like the effect it gives, it can give some very cool effects with the right pics.
(y)

Thanks for the info Michael. I must check out that software, it probably should be used sparingly but it worked so well for that theme.

Sorry to hear you weren't well but you still managed a great shot for sweet. I love the oranges, the contrast with the blue background works very well.

Secure, the edited one without the handle is just brilliant, very well shot and composed, great use of lighting. It's amazing how much of a difference the tweeks have made to the final image. Learned lots from the comments on this one. Thank you.

Carol

Fascinating technique here - I love the tones you've brought out from the side of the cashbox.

Phil

Hey Michael, I just found your thread, so many people doing 52's!

Week 1 - I like the idea with the B&W candles, only issue is the arrow isn't immediately obvious as the 'direction', a higher angle would solve that, but nice idea :)

Week 2 - I prefer the shot of your daughter, to get the 'fear' in her eyes do something she didnt expect like BOO! and she will naturally jump ;)
Nice PP and subject

Week 3 - I prefer the warped words shot - however the word that jumps out at me is SUGARPLUM, still i like the Alice in Wonderland feel of it - which makes me sigh :)
The book is a great book and tragic story, imo it needs a little more light on the spine.

Week 4 - the sweets have this shot I reckon, the oranges although a great shot and wonderful colours, dont say sweet to me, perhaps if you had cut one open or had juice running down it?

Week 5 - The first shot is best, the handle becomes a distraction. I do like the fact you have the gradients and you can see the texture to the cashbox :)

The opinions given are just my take on the subjects and in no way say whats right or wrong, so please dont take offense ;)

Last edited:
Good work. Looks kind of beautiful now

Thanks very much Alan, it has worked out well, I certainly prefer the latest vrsion.

Cash box works well, I also prefer the one without the handle though a more obvious handle might work.

Cheers Gramps, thanks for popping by (y)

Nice one Michael... a No Handle vote from me, great work with the lighting and processing - The last edit is a cracker :

Thanks Dk

Really like the latest edit :)

Thanks for popping by Roly, pleased you like it.

Thanks for the info Michael. I must check out that software, it probably should be used sparingly but it worked so well for that theme.

Sorry to hear you weren't well but you still managed a great shot for sweet. I love the oranges, the contrast with the blue background works very well.

Secure, the edited one without the handle is just brilliant, very well shot and composed, great use of lighting. It's amazing how much of a difference the tweeks have made to the final image. Learned lots from the comments on this one. Thank you.

Carol

HIya Carol, no problem. It is very user friendly and does a great job for a freebie. Pleased you like the oranges, the contrast between the two colours was a nice surprise. Also pleased you like the secure shot, it is always the little things you miss and the feedback on here is great. Glad you learned lots from this, (y)

Fascinating technique here - I love the tones you've brought out from the side of the cashbox.

Phil

Hi Phil, thanks for popping by, I quite like light painting, it certainly does bring some subtle detail out, it can take a few tries to get the result you want, but is well worth it.

What a very simple idea very well shot! The final version looks good, nothing more to say really(y)

Hi Marsha, thanks very much for your comment. :)

Hey Michael, I just found your thread, so many people doing 52's!

Week 1 - I like the idea with the B&W candles, only issue is the arrow isn't immediately obvious as the 'direction', a higher angle would solve that, but nice idea :)

Week 2 - I prefer the shot of your daughter, to get the 'fear' in her eyes do something she didnt expect like BOO! and she will naturally jump ;)
Nice PP and subject

Week 3 - I prefer the warped words shot - however the word that jumps out at me is SUGARPLUM, still i like the Alice in Wonderland feel of it - which makes me sigh :)
The book is a great book and tragic story, imo it needs a little more light on the spine.

Week 4 - the sweets have this shot I reckon, the oranges although a great shot and wonderful colours, dont say sweet to me, perhaps if you had cut one open or had juice running down it?

Week 5 - The first shot is best, the handle becomes a distraction. I do like the fact you have the gradients and you can see the texture to the cashbox :)

The opinions given are just my take on the subjects and in no way say whats right or wrong, so please dont take offense ;)

HIya Dade, thanks for finding my thread and commenting, much appreciated, it certainly is very busy in here!
I see what you mean about sugarplum, that had totally evaded me! That was at f1.8 as well. Thanks very much for the feedback, it is very much appreciated, I hadn't even thought of cutting an orange open or including some juice running down it, very good ideas to remember for thr future.

I am going to without a laptop now until Monday next week, hopefully I will finally have mine back from repair, I just need to get this one back to my Dad tonight!

I do have the tp app on my phone and will do my best to comment on the other 52's, failing that, I will pop by at some point next week (y)

The last edit wins all the way (y)

Last edit is just about spot on still has the top left a bit lit up and looks like a line, would clone that out. :clap::clap:

Hi Michael

Sweet - like the idea of the phone shot, and it works very well in mono, the oranges are well exposed, but i agree that the composition is a bit off,

Secure - love the last shot it works really well on all counts

'Secure' I prefer your 2nd edit. Looks very good in mono too another good image from you this week :thumbs

Nick

HI Michael

love those oranges ....great contrast in the colors....try neatimage(free nosie reduction software) if you struggle ....works a treat (y)

Secure.....yup the edited version works for me as well......:clap:

Hi Lynne, thanks for popping by. Pleased you like the pics. I will take a look at neat image at some point.

Now on to week 6 and industry. A terrible week to be honest! Finally got my own laptop back from repair. Not what I was hoping for, but not been able to get anywhere near the subjects I was considering.

So a couple of pics from our shopping trip last saturday to meadowhall. I decided to take a shot on my phone whilst waiting for some snacks.

The Food Industry!

Week 6, Industry by scilly puffin, on Flickr

Not bad, I couldn't get into a position to get rid of the bottom which is a bit destracting.

The Train Industry

Week 6, Industry by scilly puffin, on Flickr

Meadowhall station in the snow, this train popped in whilst we were waiting. Remembered I had the compact camera in the bag and used that for this one. Noise is due to iso 800 being used on the compact.

So not what I really wanted, but I am quite pleased with how well the train works in black and white. Will be getting round to everyones thread at some point. (y)

I'm liking the train shot too Michael...that passenger seems like he's looking straight at me! Draws me right into the shot.

Well done

Carol

Hi love the darkness of your secure shot it has so much depth if that makes sense

Like the idea of the food shop but not quite worked, the train shot works well and is well suited to the B&W treatment.

Hi Michael, its been a few weeks since I commented, I'm afraid that sigh is lost on me, the literary element anyway, didn't get the link. However, the secure shot I do like, very nice lighting. It just enough to give it an edgy feel and a little bit of intrigue making you wonder what's inside.

Industry is ok considering you have had problems this week and good work on posting, i'm still struggling for this week. Maybe you could revisit this when we get a re-shoot card. I prefer the train shot, it looks well, I have been stood on that station a few times on my way back to Chesterfield.

Last edited:
Hey Michael :)

Liking the train shot the best, by a long way a great shot from a compact, in my opinion the processing and grain add to the shot, the train leads your eye into the shot real nice... Glad to see you still got a couple in even when having problems (y)

Hi Dk, thanks for popping by. Pleased you like the train shot. I was beginning to think I was going to fall behind!

I'm liking the train shot too Michael...that passenger seems like he's looking straight at me! Draws me right into the shot.

Well done

Carol

Hi Carol, hadn't actually noticed the person looking at the camera! Pleased you like the pic and thanks for taking a look.

hi Michael
Like the train shot - on theme for me. The processing adds to the atmosphere and there is a feel of movement because of the way that the snow/sleet is blowing in a diagonal line. Nice image

Hi Alan, I thought the snow would add some atmosphere. It was coming down quite fast at the time. Thanks for your comments.

Hi love the darkness of your secure shot it has so much depth if that makes sense

Hi Paul thanks for the comment, it does make sense. I did add a vignette to help darken it a little more.

I hadn't noticed the passenger staring until Carol mentioned it! I like the train shot too, the snow makes it look even more grainy and adds to the image(y)

That looks like a huge sausage roll!

Hi Marsha thanks for popping by, pleased you like the train pic, certainly is my preferred one.

Like the idea of the food shop but not quite worked, the train shot works well and is well suited to the B&W treatment.

Cheers Gramps. I was hoping the greggs shop was going to work out, but I agree it hasn't. Very pleased with the train.

The train shot for me too. (y)

Cheers Phil.

Hi Michael, its been a few weeks since I commented, I'm afraid that sigh is lost on me, the literary element anyway, didn't get the link. However, the secure shot I do like, very nice lighting. It just enough to give it an edgy feel and a little bit of intrigue making you wonder what's inside.

Industry is ok considering you have had problems this week and good work on posting, i'm still struggling for this week. Maybe you could revisit this when we get a re-shoot card. I prefer the train shot, it looks well, I have been stood on that station a few times on my way back to Chesterfield.

Hiya Dan, thanks for popping by. Thanks for the comments. I was very pleased with secure, who would have thought a cash box would look interesting and intriguing. I may well do a reshoot for industry, depending on where I can get to. The train has worked out much better than I was expecting.

Really like the train one, nice B&W and good feel to it. Do not envy you standing on Meadowhall station, it always seems cold there!!

Hi Alex, pleased you like the pics. I agree, it always seems cold there!

Week 7 tomorrow :banana:

Hi Michael. I think the first one you've fallen into the trap of shooting something and then relating it to an industry; just about anything could represent "Industry" that way. That seemed to me to be the big danger with this theme as soon as I saw it.

The train one though is great :) the image has an industrial feel to it, and commuters trying to get to/from work says it too, not to mention the actual "railway industry" reference.

Back