weekly michael23's 3rd 52, Completed

Can you lot give it a rest for a year, to let the rest of us catch up? I think going into my second year is pretty good, but you nutters keep reminding me I'm a mere newbie! :(

& another fool back for some more punishment ...good to see you back Michael :clap:

Mark.....c'mon , keep up at the back there :p

Look forward to seeing your photo's again Michael (y)

I wonder how many Baby type shots will get added this year... think I'll start a sweepstakes :D

:LOL: :D

That's put a much needed smile on my face! THings have been crazy this last week, my wife Jennie has been quite ill since the c-section. She has had/has got septicemia and on a bucket full of antibiotics, which appear to be doing there jobs. But not sure when she will be out of hospital.

will be following along as well Michael :)

Thanks Carol, I see you are doing a 365, I shall take a look at it at some point (y)

Thanks Michael :) (and please be kind - ish :LOL: )
Love the slide show and made me think ;)

My goodness what a roller coaster ride it's been! Everything is appearing fine, though we were dealt another blow moments after Jennie and Xavier were discharged, my Grandma died in hospital with liver cancer at the very same time we went out. So, I have not had that much inspiration for this weeks theme, but with not being able to sleep last night I had ago and got a couple of pics done, I have tagged my thread nsfw just in case for one of the pics.

1st pic

sin, idea 2 by scilly puffin, on Flickr

And the 2nd, (this is tagged nsfw)

sin, idea 1 by scilly puffin, on Flickr

With the 2nd one I was trying to portray "what on earth have I done?"

sorry to hear that it must be crazy for you at the minute well done for getting anything in. Have to go with the bible pic i cant make out what is in front of the body's face whatever it is its a bit distracting

Good start to your 52 Michael despite your conflicting circumstances.

Both with a dark feel about them but I am going to go with #1. I like the processing on both too.
I see an apple with a bite from it in front of the model, I get what you were going for here but the first just shades it for me (y) iain

Good imaginative start there!

To be honest I'm not sure about either of them, perhaps it's the lighting and lack of clarity that does not appeal so much to me personally, but I guess that is the feel you were going for....<shrugs>

Prefer image 1, would maybe prefer a little more definition to the knife blade?

1 down - 51 to go

Michael
Sincere condolances on your loss.
Not taking part in this years 52, just to say very powerful and thought provoking images.
All the best.
John

Last edited:
I am sorry to hear about your loss of your Grandma but congratulations on your new child.

Three years in a row! Must be addictive, this is my first go at it so not sure what to expect yet.

I find both of your images very dark, possibly reflecting your mood, but had to read others comments to realise it was a knife - I thought it was a strip torn off the front of the book somehow and in the second that the white area was an apple. The processing you have used has bought out the texture in the leather beautifully - I am always looking for new background ideas and you have given me on, thank you.

It's the first shot for me. Very "Omen-1976" visuals with the high-contrast processing and the reddish tint.

The second one doesn't do much for me I'm afraid. Although I did spend a long time looking at it to figure out what the white blob was near the model's right hand.

Good luck with the rest of your 52!

Ian.

First shot for sure, it could easily be a cover for a book - strong lines and a sinister tint to it.

I prefer No.2 - but I do seem to swim against the flow most of the time so that's not a surprise!

I like the overall look, a very dark and moody feel, but it took me a while to work out that it was an apple, so perhaps something a different angle on the apple could have made it a little more obvious and might of helped there.

Good start!

I prefer the bible picture as I couldn't work out what the apple was either. I like the unusual lighting and texture on the bible pic. Perhaps the light at the top is a bit too bright?

Hi, Michael, 2.....:naughty: :D

#1, on theme and I wasn't sure about the blown top but looked again and it gives it a real Omen. Nice rim light on the blade. Crit....eeekkk, nothing obvious.

#2, well, it's quite daring but I'm not seeing Sin, if I'm honest. I do like the composition and processing. What's that in your hand?

All things considering :clap:

Cheers.

like the dark feel to both images, think the bible shot just edges it for me.. feels more sinister.. had a watch of your slideshow from last year.. great set, well done!

Hi Michael. I prefer #1 to be honest and I like the dark capture, light and also the shadow glow from the knife. Hope all goes well for you all this year.

Hi Michael, I'm very sorry to hear about your loss, my thoughts go with you and your family at this difficult time. In the same instance I'm glad to hear that Jennie and Xavier are home at last, I hope Jennie has is well on the road to recovery.

I think both photos are ideal for the theme. I too prefer the first one but would like to see just a touch more definition in the tip of the knife blade.
Number two is a very dark interpretation, although until I was told I struggled to identify the apple!

Hi everyone, thanks very much for all the comments. Both pics could certainly be improved, the knife in the bible pic was quite awkward to light, I tried numerous placings of my flash, but the blade just seem to be missed, I could really do with a wireless trigger, I was relying on my built in flash triggering my nissin 622 unit. The apple on the 2nd pic again, I think actually this became a little obscure during processing it. I was going for a very dark feeling on both of these, for my first official shot of the week I reckon I will go with the bible version.

Hi Michael

Sin - #1 is good concept and well shot. Quite dramatic and very much on the theme.#
#2 doesn't work for me sorry. Dark, indistinct and hard to link to theme

Season - yep that works. Like the treatment in that it could be snow or heavy rain but it is certainly of the season. Not sure about that sign tho. I Don't get a connection to the theme and otherwise it is a bit distracting

Sorry for your loss.

Sin - both are powerful images.

Season - love this shot, works very well for the theme. Was gonna say its what it like round here atm but we are in the same area!

Hi, Michael. SSSNNNOOOWWWWWWW :D just about all gone in Leeds.

On theme and processing adds something. Pity the sign didn't say something a bit more apt...'John Snow estate agents' would be asking too much I suspect :D

Cheers.

Back