weekly Mike-A: 52 4 2014 (Week Five - Smoke)

Smoke fits the theme nicely
Thanks Mandy.
Bit of a rush job/coincidence when we were out for a walk but I like the colour of the lead, looks kind of industrial. Quite in contrast to the fragile glass.

Nicely seen. Could perhaps have more contrast, as it looks a little flat. Also on the composition I would not have cropped the leading round the wording.

Hi Mike

certainly on theme but looks a smidge flat...up the contrast & boost the blacks a tad maybe ?

Nicely seen. Could perhaps have more contrast, as it looks a little flat. Also on the composition I would not have cropped the leading round the wording.
Thanks for the feedback :)
I only cropped fairly close as the writing was the full width of the window and had a bright white frame which I wanted to avoid.

Hi Mike

certainly on theme but looks a smidge flat...up the contrast & boost the blacks a tad maybe ?
Thanks Lynne. Higher contract version below. Is using a higher contrast what you mean by "boost the blacks"?

Hi there

Smoke on theme but could do with a boost
Thanks for the feedback Craig. See below for a slightly edited version.

Hi Mike,
smoke .... your smoke is well on theme, perhaps it would look better at night when the lights are on inside, but well done (y)
Great idea Judi, might just do that. Thanks for your comment.

Hi there...I like the sign....well spotted...perhaps they are coming back into fashion :)
Thanks Susie. Its a really old pub/hotel in the old town in Scarborough and the windows/stained glass look quite old too. Not even sure if it's still open to be honest.

This and either more at an angle or straight on.

Cheers.
Agree, would look miles better straight on but I took the shot on the way back to the car with two tired daughers and a fistful of icecream! As Judi posted above, it'd look good with lights inside so I'll tackle it head on if I return to it later.

Smoke is very different but I like it.
Thanks for stopping by and commenting, much appreciated.

Your higher contrast colour edit much improves the original. I feel lighting the RHS a tad would also improve things. Well spotted though.
I've submitted the wider version to the main photo thread as I think its a much better effort. :) Only beginning with CS6 so I'll have to look into how to lighten an area. :)

The first edit makes my eyes go wobbly... much prefer the last, high contrast :)
Yeah, it does a bit doesn't it! Like the detail but have gone with the B&W wider crop.

Back