weekly Mike-A: 52 4 2014 (Week Five - Smoke)

Close....

Close (to bursting point)
by MJA1975, on Flickr

Simple balloon and a few drawing pins. Shot on the reverse of a sheet of wrapping paper and lit by a table lamp and a kitchen downlighter.

I did try catching the balloon bursting but didn't get a good shot.

Close - a great and different take on the theme. Maybe a single drawing pin would have made the point (sorry) better that the sea of them. Otherwise, expect possibly WB as mentioned (which I struggle with) excellent.

Thats very close to them pins indeed, i dont think it's doing much for me tho as a image.
Was a touch last minute and I have to admit I'm not totally happy with it. Might be one to revisit if the chance arises.

Nice idea. Good detail and obviously in theme. WB is a tad off and I'd like to see a little more of the balloon.

Cheers.
I have some wider shots that I might post up if I get the chance.
I'm not sure about WB tweaking etc but I do think its missing something :thinking:

Close - a great and different take on the theme. Maybe a single drawing pin would have made the point (sorry) better that the sea of them. Otherwise, expect possibly WB as mentioned (which I struggle with) excellent.
Did think about a single pin but once I'd got them spread out I quite liked the colour :)

Thanks for taking the time to critique and comment :)

HI Mike

crikey...I'd have gone through numerous ballons if I'd tried that :D Like the focus , the colors & the idea :)

You're right though...something's not quite " there"......for me it's the bg....2 shadows or lines rhs that pull my eye's a little ?

Play - nice bright and cheerful
Close - most excellent idea - well executed - I'm all for ghetto lighting - it's all I use as I only have one flash :D

Play - nice bright and cheerful
Close - most excellent idea - well executed - I'm all for ghetto lighting - it's all I use as I only have one flash :D
Thanks Sarah.
I'm looking to get a flash for my birthday at the end of Feb, just not sure what to get at the moment.

HI Mike

crikey...I'd have gone through numerous ballons if I'd tried that :D Like the focus , the colors & the idea :)

You're right though...something's not quite " there"......for me it's the bg....2 shadows or lines rhs that pull my eye's a little ?
I'll have a play about in Photoshop and see what I can come up with :) I did try it with a candle in a slice of cake instead of the pins. Turns out you don't need to get anywhere close to a small flame for the balloon to burst. Scared the crap out of me!
I really like it! (the close shot)
Thanks Simon :)

appreciate the feedback everyone.

I'm looking to get a flash for my birthday at the end of Feb, just not sure what to get at the moment.

I got through last years 52 without a flash, but have just got a Yongnuo 560-iii. Plenty good reviews, just awaiting my trigger for it at the moment.

That balloon does look to be touching those pins, so is very close to bursting, I imagine an actual bursting balloon to be very difficult to capture - certainly without flash. like it.

That's very effective Mike, Like that, liking the shiny pins and just the bottom of the baloon (y)
I love those shiny pins too....and the reflection in the balloon.....a great original idea :)
That is a good idea, well executed. Love the colours in it too.
Thanks :) Think it would have been even better with a bit longer to play about with lighting but it's growing on me!

I got through last years 52 without a flash, but have just got a Yongnuo 560-iii. Plenty good reviews, just awaiting my trigger for it at the moment.

I'm looking at the Yongnuo range actually. Need to decide if I need TTL or not. Personally I wouldn't miss it but it'd be useful for when my wife uses my camera.

I really like this one.

Nice and bright, with the super X, and the faint circular lines too give it interest.

Another (y) from me Mike, as mentioned,the lighting catching the pan is good :)

The symmetry of the highlights together with the colour makes this for me.

A simple yet very effective take on the theme Mike (y)
Good work!

Close – Did you realise how close (for the pun) to being a bubble themed picture this could have been? I like it. Nice idea and the crop suits.

Bubble – Nice clean image and as others have said, it’s the X the adds interest

Week 5: Smoke(room)

Smoke(room)
by MJA1975, on Flickr
Noticed this stained glass window at the Leeds Hotel in Scarborough as we were out for a walk. Bit of a throw back to unhealthier times!

Thats a nice idea you've had there. Love the x-shaped highlight. Good work :)
A good attempt, I like the x shape highlights as well.
I really like this one.

Nice and bright, with the super X, and the faint circular lines too give it interest.
Good idea you've used there. I like the X shape and the muted colours.
I really like this, it makes a nice self contained abstract image. It looks sort of sci-fi....very nice :)
Another (y) from me Mike, as mentioned,the lighting catching the pan is good :)
The symmetry of the highlights together with the colour makes this for me.
Nice colour and loads of bubbles (y)
I'm liking the detail of the pan coming through the highlights, works well with the hundreds of bubbles :)

Did you have a closer crop ??
Very neat! I think others have said it all. I like the X shape in the lighting too.
A simple yet very effective take on the theme Mike (y)
Good work!
close. a lovely image well done

Bubbles like what you have achieved here
Hi Mike,
Your close is very close, nice colours but doesn't do anything for me.
Bubbles....well on theme, nicely done ;)
Yea as has been said ur close shoot is great, and can't fault ur bubbles either ;)
Close – Did you realise how close (for the pun) to being a bubble themed picture this could have been? I like it. Nice idea and the crop suits.

Bubble – Nice clean image and as others have said, it’s the X the adds interest
Hi. On theme and as said the X stands out.

Cheers.
Hi, a different idea for the theme, again as others have said it's a good clean image and the X adds interest!!
Hi ya

brilliant abstract for Bubbles , the goldy tone , the light cross & loads of minute bubbles...think I could see that framed & on the wall of a minamalist pad :clap:
Good idea and as said the X effect works well done (y)

Massive thanks for the feedback everyone.
I've been neglecting my thread recently as I'm writing my dissertation and a couple of essays for my final year at uni but I have been reading all your comments and I'm flattered by the critique and response :)

Quite pleased with how this one came out, happy coincidence having the "X" in the reflection as I'd just planned to capture the bubbles but it does make a nice bit of interest.

Back