weekly Minx 52 for 2018

Stark - I personally prefer the B+W version, at first glance I thought shoreline.

Over - Didn't get it till I read the rest of the thread but really like the image, colourful and found myself smiling at it

Great creativity for the Over shot, took me a while to work out what I was looking at!

Well done on getting a real street scene in your first for People. I struggled with the theme and resorted to a long-range shot in the end, but your first has a sense of being among the people and the second is a typical scene from any high street and I think the warm tones make it my favourite.

Stark shows two very contrasting textures and that is usually ideal for B&W, but when you added the colour version I think I prefer that as the colours are such a bold contrast too.

Over is very clever and colourful, and something I keep meaning to try. It works very well for the theme, with the droplets suspended over the sweets, but also as a striking image (y)

Clever (y) ... (even if I don't quite understand what you've done).

Age - A little late but here it is(they are)
The Age of the Tree

This was my original plan

But then I saw this. not sure what it is maybe from the old Gunpowder Mill
25342253127_e7535c85a7_b.jpg

Last edited:
I like the tree shot as it is sharp and holds my interest. Of the two photos of the strange metal thingys I prefer the second as the extra dimension of the surrounding land adds to the picture; the first picture seems to bring my attention to the ivy rather than the metal.

I like the tree shot too. Nice and crisp and sharp with good dof. Nice one. I agree that the first picture of the metal thing that the bramble infront seems to be more in focus that the metal object.

Last edited:
I prefer the first picture of that whatever it is, unfortunately it is slightly out of focus...

I like the metal objects could have done with a bit of tidying up before taking the photo

Alison

I feel the tree is the better image for age, focus is good and isolates the important bits.

On the second sign I think I can see what you are trying with them being foreground interest, but the background does not live up to the picture.Both appear quite dull.

Sharp - Nicely set up with a nice bit of light on the sharp edge of the blade.

Age(ing) - I much prefer the tree stump, as it is a lovely sharp image and the details really stand out.
Sharp - I agree with Mark its a nicely set up image, if I was to be picky I think that I would prefer new blades in the knife as I find the rust spots a little distracting.

People, like you I was anxious about pointing my camera at strangers, worked out well for you though.
Stark, really like the contrast, good idea for the theme.
Over, my fav shot, bright, colourful and clever.
Age, suits the theme and well executed.
Sharp, bang on theme, topical and again well executed.

Hi Alison,
Age - I want to love the metal signs, I'm thinking they look like some kind of canal or navigation artefact, but I do have to agree that they are slightly out un-sharp and that the tree trunk, with the way it pops out of the image, is the better shot.
Sharp - Spot on. Nicely controlled DoF, nice lighting, good composition and appropriate the the week too. (y)

Alison

Sharp - nice image, on theme for week as well, maybe a bit better if the whole image was moved down a little bit, showing a bit more knife and the cut out and hearts a bit closer to the bottom of the image. My 2p's worth.

Pete

Nice thick snow, well only if you've not got to get to work in it!

Bang on theme. Never been to Bushey Park

Oh, and I love the first of the extra shots - great tree shadow

Very nicely done indeed Alison :)
The treescapes are really good, but you know what, the shot of the birds is the stand out for me. The way you've captured the manic action there puts me in mind of one of those aircraft landing composites where there are hundreds of aircraft in the same shot.

Very nicely done indeed Alison :)
The treescapes are really good, but you know what, the shot of the birds is the stand out for me. The way you've captured the manic action there puts me in mind of one of those aircraft landing composites where there are hundreds of aircraft in the same shot.

Thank you I had one with a crow in and had thought he was in the thick of it but liked that picture better. There was a a lady throwing bird feed hence all the flapping.

Mud GUARD

I did head down to the Barrack where the Irish Guard are currently based but was asked not to take photos so here is my shoe horn

Guard
by Alison White, on Flickr

My car had loads on today

Sharp - I like light on the sharp edge of the blade and the seasonal touch :) I think if the blade was clean the photo would work even better!

Thick - Some nice wintry photos, my favourites are #2 with the deep sun creating long shadows of the tree branches, and #3 with the abundance of gulls

Guard - And another wintry photo, I like the tight crop with the focus on the icicles in the centre!

Thick - lovely set of images for the theme, I can't fault the first image at all, a beautiful scene to look at.
Guard(ed) - well it works for me for the theme, seems your car was covered like mine was this morning in icicles.

Love the thick pictures Alison. Really lovely white snow and blue sky. I particularly like the last of you extra pictures with the single tree. Mud guard works for the theme and the icicles are a nice touch. Shame about the barracks though

Thick of Winter, nice image, well exposed, clean and bright. Maybe better if the branches left (could be cloned out) and right are cropped out but leaving the other trees in.

Pete

Love all those winter scenes, especially #2 for its shadows but the tree top is cropped ... but still like it. (y)

Reminds me of the button box we had when I was a kid, loads of colour and detail, I like it.

The tree shadow shot is brilliant as is the buttons shot as Chris says above I think all homes had a button box at one time

Abundance.

Lots of nice colourful buttons on show, now all you need to do is sort them out.

I see the image on here suffers from the Talkphotography/Flickr interface and lacks the contrast shown on Flickr.

Reminds me of the button box we had when I was a kid, loads of colour and detail, I like it.

But you still could'nt find a matching button.

Back