weekly Minx 52 for 2018

Week 0 - Like the low POV and the texture on the sculpture picked out well by the light.

Week 1 - Lock gates always have interest. Only thing I might think about would be to include all the roof of the lock keepers cottage at the expense of some foreground, though then might have to correct verticals a bit.

Out of the two I think I prefer the second one, no idea why though both work, it’s not been an easy subject for most

I like your first image as there appears to be lots of little situations playing out but when you zoom in the girls face who is looking at you is slightly soft, a different appature would of helped this. I love the little girls with the lolipop her expersion say I'm not hurrying I'm enjoying my lolly:LOL:

Out of the 2 though I prefer the 2 nd image theres is some lovely light inside the coffee shop. I may have been tempted to try and lose the railing but it would probably lose too much of the image.

First shot, and you have so been busted by the girl who now thinks you are an internet perv...lol......

The first shot doesn't work for me, too random, no clear focus, you didn't take enough time. The second shot through the window of a Starbucks is better, but you should have done a few steps to the right to get both conversations that happen in that coffee shop in the frame without the window frame obscuring one guy's face :)

Well done for going for the first photo, it's not easy pointing a camera at people and busy streets are hard when the people won't stand still so I think the second is the pick.

The People theme got me thinking about an image with no people .... The FG tables and chairs in #1 would work well ...

Last edited:
First shot, and you have so been busted by the girl who now thinks you are an internet perv...lol......

Thanks Lol

The first shot doesn't work for me, too random, no clear focus, you didn't take enough time. The second shot through the window of a Starbucks is better, but you should have done a few steps to the right to get both conversations that happen in that coffee shop in the frame without the window frame obscuring one guy's face :)

I would have liked to go a bit more to the right but there was a wall in the way as I was taking it from the 1st floor of the car park as I was too chicken to go on to the street to take it

I like that Minx a stark contrast indeed some lovely details in the wire wool but the faux fur seams to have lost a little detail maybe to do with the highlights.

People

I like the 2nd image, its more colourful with the lighting.

Stark

Interesting image, would never have guessed the wirewool.

Pete

Hi Alison.
I'm not sure if Dave is right about the focus, as there is detail in the wool, it is perhaps the high ISO causing the lack of sharpness in the wirewool. He's right about lowering the ISO. On a tripod you could have extended the shutter duration and gone to ISO 100.
Certainly works for the theme.

Nice contrast Alison. I think it's the texture of the faux fur that's causing the highlights. Good idea though; would never have thought that was wire wool and bang on for the theme:)

Hi Alison

Gate - I prefer the 2nd shot as it shows more of the area
People - Far braver than me, so well done for that. Again I prefer the 2nd shot. Interesting to imagine what they are all saying or thinking. Not keen on the rail at the front, could you have raised the camera slightly to avoid this and include the tops of the heads of the people at the back of the shop? I'm guessing you might have been restricted by where you were taking the picture from :)
Stark - good idea and definitely a stark contrast but as the others have said unfortunately there is not enough detail in the wool

:D

Stark contrast is a great photo, not sure if it needed the B&W conversion, but it doesn't do it any harm. Great contrast in texture and colour (y)

I think it’s better in colour if you had shot it on the diagonal it might have added a little something

Stark contrasting colours and textures, yep, Colour for me.

The colour version has more detail in the faux fur out of the 2 I'd go with the colour one

People - It's a box ticked for the theme and the second image for composition, but I do feel both images could be much sharper.

Stark - colour version for me as well the colours stand out better and the contrast between the 2 is much clearer.

Love the colours in Over Minx a clever image you have obviously put a lot of effort in to producing it.

The BG looks like one of those sweet dispensing machines that 'over' charges for the sweets and I'm guessing the droplets are the whole housing (y)

Very colourful, never really been a fan of this type of image though

Dont get it, sorry ?

The BG looks like one of those sweet dispensing machines that 'over' charges for the sweets and I'm guessing the droplets are the whole housing
close

im guessing the link to the theme is looking over at the smarties through the droplets on the glass? I like the abstract feel to the image.
you got it

The droplets are indeed on glass over a bowl of M&Ms and the camera was over the glass looking vertically down to take the shot.

Last edited:
Great idea and very well executed, almost abstract (y)

Very clever abstract - I like it!

Back