weekly mtjhome's 52 Photos for 2012 - BUSY added. Hooray! - Made it to the end!!

Hopefully I can visit here soon too. I've been on the 52's meet up in Northumberland thread happening in June. There are a few keen for a southern meet, perhaps we need to start scouting locations around here!

I'd be up for a 52s meet. Northumberland is a bit far - even so pls can you copy me the link? I seem to have missed it.
A Southern one is a great idea too. I guess Lundun is the obvious location but I'd be happy to suggest various places round here if there is interest.

OK - I have posted this for discussion.
I have other ideas for temperature - meanwhile what do we make of this?

"High temperature - colour temperature that is..."

IMG_0645a.jpg

Last edited:
Plan A isn't working out, so let's try plan B...

For me sunshine and the sun equates with warmth (high temperature) so I set out to try and take an image that captures the sun. Thanks to Manda (where are you Amanda?) with the top tip that f22 is the magic number for starbursts, this is what I have come up with...

IMG_0840a.jpg

I'm not keen on "plan A" although it's given it an old faded photo feeling to it.

I prefer "plan B". I feel it would have been a so what photo without the addition of the starburst effect. So well done for doing that.

Authority - I'll go against the grain, not keen on it actually sorry! I understand the concept but the picture is just not for me.

Leave - a good selection of pictures, I think #3 is a good one. I like this idea and how it fits the theme. Its crisp and has good colours. Though the runners are good too.

Random - good shot!

Temperature - Like #1, good thinking with the temperature of the shot but #2 is lovely. That sun burst is just great. Nice work!

I'd be up for a 52s meet. Northumberland is a bit far - even so pls can you copy me the link? I seem to have missed it.
A Southern one is a great idea too. I guess Lundun is the obvious location but I'd be happy to suggest various places round here if there is interest.
Sorry, I've been busy/ tired! Heres the link for the 52 meet up.

I like your high colour temp shot, it looks almost sepia, but your 'plan b' is a cracker! I love the starburst :clap:Like Peter said the shot wouldn't have had had much weight without that.

Ironically I was just reading Mandy's tip's on pinterest and took a mental note of F22 = starbursts!!! Now all I need is to find somewhere to shoot a building late in the evening to try it out!!!

Many thanks all for all the comments.

I really like that, a very nice scence which is well composed and the lighting is lovely, a very good burst on the sun too
Thanks Michael

I prefer "plan B". I feel it would have been a so what photo without the addition of the starburst effect. So well done for doing that.
True! - but just for the record - the starburst was as shot = not PP

Authority - I'll go against the grain, not keen on it actually sorry! I understand the concept but the picture is just not for me.
I understand - staged shots are not normally my thing - but I was struggling for something to meet the theme.

Leave - a good selection of pictures, I think #3 is a good one. I like this idea and how it fits the theme. Its crisp and has good colours. Though the runners are good too.

Random - good shot!

Temperature - Like #1, good thinking with the temperature of the shot but #2 is lovely. That sun burst is just great. Nice work!
Thanks! I thought that using colour temperature was a good idea for 'temperature' but I was never really sure how to make it work.

like them both, then sun burst adds alot to #2:)
Thanks!

I like your high colour temp shot, it looks almost sepia, but your 'plan b' is a cracker! I love the starburst :clap:Like Peter said the shot wouldn't have had had much weight without that.
I agree - but had the idea of using the starburst for Temperature, I remembered Manda's tip. The sun was right, I had a good idea that location would work. I was very pleased with the result - my first (intentional) starburst.

i like the 1st one best :)

I like plans and B! Plan A says temperature more I think, but B does too, and is a lovely shot with a fantastic burst on the sun.

Last edited:
Summer, Mark, thanks for comments - positive comments for Plan A - yay!
I'm going to choose Plan B for this week's submission though for 2 reasons. - Plan A looks much better at correct colour temperature. Plan B is a great example of a technique I have learned through the "52s" experience.

it's good that you have stretched yourself this week. I have thought about getting a temperature meter and then manually inputing the temperature as Kelvins into my camera which is greta for landscape photography. I have the Peak District on my doorstep but lacking in time to explore.

Temperature - No 1 is just a little bit to orangey for me but No 2 works well. nice long shadows as the sun sets, good focus too and back on theme.

Nick (y)

I like your #2 temperature Mike, it tells a story IMHO, of a sunny summers day. Just the right amount of detail held in the shadows, with the starburst being the main feature.
Your abstract is bang on theme, draws the viewers eye in to make out who is behind the glass. I am not sure it needs the handle in there, what was the thinking behind its inclusion? Iain

I am not sure it needs the handle in there, what was the thinking behind its inclusion? Iain
To be honest Iain, I'm not sure. I thought it helped draw the eye to the subject's head, and also put the photo in context. But I stand corrected - I agree with everybody after all - it is not really needed, in fact it does detract from the pic.

yep, abstract indeed, it does look better without the handle though :clap:

Very abstract, and definitely better with no handle.

Abstract - a very clever take on this weeks theme, works very nicely for me. Good choice of depth of field too. Nick (y)

Hi Mike,

Leave - I like your final submission. Nice colours.

Temperature - Good take on the theme. Simple but effective. For me personally, I would have done a vertical crop (about halfway), removing the man made objects to the left, leaving just the sunburst and the trees.

Abstract - Bang on theme, and I too prefer it without the handle.

Back