My 'Horizontal Strips' project

Missed a few :)

#7, I find myself searching around this one, and I like that.
:)
#8, I actually like the fact its slightly soft. I suspect is blinds but could almost be stairs
Ahhhhh well, it is stairs, correct :)
#9, nice detail and textures in the wood. I think a closer crop would also work well.
Yeah possibly..... may try that if the weather is cac again tomorrow :_

Cheers to you tooooo for visiting (y)

Had another look at them all together and was really struck by #7 & 8. Because of that, (I feel that) the less abstract shots lose their strength because of it. You mentioned that you cut the sides off the bench in one version, and that would have abstracted it a bit more.

It's probably worth looking at the abstracts together, then the non-abstracts together, then all together to see if you're developing a subconscious pattern. Having had a fresh look through the images, 5, 7 & 8 really stand out, whilst the others seem really "different" even though your subject is the same.

Hope that makes sense.

Well it has been a busy few months and only managed to just keep up with my 52 project... Had a bit of free time yesterday at last, so took the opportunity to have a stroll and capture a couple more for this project, in no particular order....

as always best viewed LARGE on Flickr :)

Hopefully the back of this bench fits the remit, I really liked the way the light was reflecting off it

Horizontal Strips - 10 - Bench

Horizontal strips - 10 by TP DK, on Flickr

Again I am not sure if this pushes it a bit too far, there is some real good close up detail, but I didn't want to zoom/crop right in ??

Horizontal Strips - 11 - Ramp

<EDIT> Pretend this is not here, this is totally not what I am after :banghead:

Horizontal strips - 11 by TP DK, on Flickr

Last edited:
Horizontal Strips 14 Smiley is the one which really caught my eye Dean.
Perhaps it was that vibrant splash of colour on the left? I would be tempted to crop the space on the far left off though, the purple does a great job of bordering the horizontal shutters.
Well seen all the same (y)

Number 12 with the pigeon is also well seen, the inclusion of the pigeon gives the image a quirky twist.

Perhaps it was that vibrant splash of colour on the left? I would be tempted to crop the space on the far left off though, the purple does a great job of bordering the horizontal shutters.

Number 12 with the pigeon is also well seen, the inclusion of the pigeon gives the image a quirky twist.
Thanks Iain :)

I see what you mean about to the left of the purple, I will crop it tomorrow and post it up (y)

I'd agree with Iain, here. I'd also like to see all the door in #14. #13 works well, as well.

Cheers.

Right... taking Iain's and Andy's comments in mind I revisited 'Smiley' also I decided I was trying to add too much to 'Steps' so have narrowed the crop down to make it more abstract... which getting back to previous comments I have tried to over complicate the images with too much going on...
So version two of each of them...

Smiley version 2 - I have removed the LH but can not show the whole door, as I only took the shot composed as shown...

Horizontal Strips 14 - Smiley v2 by TP DK, on Flickr

Steps version 2 - I have removed the edges as added too much context....

Horizontal Strips 13 - Steps v2 by TP DK, on Flickr

What are your thoughts on the new cropped versions Dean?
To be honest Iain, I feel they are more in the vain of what I originally intended, as in not immediately identifiable...

Smiley is a lot less busy without the LH bit for sure, and my eyes are drawn to it and do not get pulled further to the left to see what is there

Steps look much better too, although now they are cropped I'd have liked them in full light

Ramp should not be here at all, at least not in the the format it currently is, it should have been like this (But in focus)

JI3A0856-2 by TP DK, on Flickr

I'm going to keep this going through 2016 and fine tune the submitions, I mistakenly started to add context to the images to give them meaning, when I should have been doing the complete opposite :thinking:

I admire your honesty in your edits Dean.
It's perhaps the whole point of your project, we know you can take a good photograph, this I feel is more about your vision and thought processes.

Gone all feng shui with the above but it's how I have felt about photography for a while now.
There's more to it in my opinion than simply pressing the shutter.
Too often I have gone out and not taken any photographs but that's ok as far as I'm concerned.

Anyway, I ramble haha. I enjoyed your edits and more, enjoyed a glimpse of what your thoughts were.
Keep up the good work my friend :)

I admire your honesty in your edits Dean.
It's perhaps the whole point of your project, we know you can take a good photograph, this I feel is more about your vision and thought processes.

Gone all feng shui with the above but it's how I have felt about photography for a while now.
There's more to it in my opinion than simply pressing the shutter.
Too often I have gone out and not taken any photographs but that's ok as far as I'm concerned.

Anyway, I ramble haha. I enjoyed your edits and more, enjoyed a glimpse of what your thoughts were.
Keep up the good work my friend :)
Well put Iain and thanks... I'm still to get to the point where I can go out with my camera and come back with no shots (even a TP meet) I guess I get out so little I don't want to waste the few opportunities I do get, thanks for the encouragement (y)

I've only just seen this thread - a good idea and I can see how it would be possible to spot strips and stripes everywhere now :) I have subbed to follow.
Thanks Andrea... you sure ain't wrong, strips everywhere :)

Hi DK seems like I missed some again in the summer but I've just had a catch up, personally I prefer the closer crops, I don't think the shots need context if they're intended as abstract, but it is your project :)

I love that bench ....it has so much character (if that makes sense)

Looking forward to seeing your project progress next year.

Hi DK seems like I missed some again in the summer but I've just had a catch up, personally I prefer the closer crops, I don't think the shots need context if they're intended as abstract, but it is your project :)

I love that bench ....it has so much character (if that makes sense)

Looking forward to seeing your project progress next year.
Cheers Susie - I agree with you 100%, they should be abstract, so I was getting carried away :D

Hopefully with the crops I am getting back on track :)

This is a really useful thread for me. Your "should have been" comments illustrate that you know what you're aiming for but need to remember that when you've got the camera in hand. Something I struggle with.

As to the content, it seems like your project is coming along nicely and there's no rush to complete. Like where you're going and I like how you're getting there.

Keep it up Dean!

This is a really useful thread for me. Your "should have been" comments illustrate that you know what you're aiming for but need to remember that when you've got the camera in hand. Something I struggle with.
Glad it's not only me Ian !!!

As to the content, it seems like your project is coming along nicely and there's no rush to complete. Like where you're going and I like how you're getting there.

Keep it up Dean!
There certainly is no rush, I must say I am really enjoy my time with my camera when I have the time to wander for ideas - thanks for your kind comments (y)

I've only just noticed this project. I don't think I will ever look at a garage door or some steps in quite the same way again! I love the cropped versions of 13 and 14 but number 2 is by far my favourite. The guy at the end of the pier just makes it. Looking forward to seeing more.

I've only just noticed this project. I don't think I will ever look at a garage door or some steps in quite the same way again! I love the cropped versions of 13 and 14 but number 2 is by far my favourite. The guy at the end of the pier just makes it. Looking forward to seeing more.
Thank you Jenny , appreciate you taking the time to comment :)

It's a good photo as it is, but you could crop it to fit the project style.
Thank you Dave... Yep I think I could... and think I should have - TMI again I think :)

Well spotted DK I love this one, but for your project not sure about those railings.....but then they do really make the shot .....difficult !!
Thanks too Susie :)

Exactly, there is where I am torn again, without the railings and blue sky there is minimal interest for me, no omph and no different bands of colour/texture or elements, all one thing...

So I think it should maybe not be included at all, but there again, just scrolled up and the path adds something I guess, and maybe the weed adds an oddity :thinking:

Damn project :D

Back