weekly Naka's 52 for 2016: Week 17 - Rough

Topical...Well placed, though the tea looks a bit sludgy :LOL:

The Living World....Very nice shot. Always know Spring's on the way when I see a Crocus :)

Haha sludgy coffee viv. I think I didn't drink it in the end! There were no crocuses where we previously lived. Pretty things [emoji5]

Abandoned - what a sad site
Camouflage - looks like a lacewing gardeners friend as they eat aphids so yeah probably in your veg.
Danger - definitely fits the theme
Topical - Very topical indeed. I found this one hard too
Living World - I really like the colour tones in this great shot.

I'm behind so playing catch up. I wanted to try and get something for spiky, not sure if this works:

25567068890_37bc28f0c5_c.jpg

I also picked this up (cone from a fir tree?) a few weeks ago, so it's a re-shoot of The living world.

25772671601_6b801b2be0_c.jpg

Spiky is a cool take on the theme, really liking the Fir cone, very good lighting

:clap:Two lovely shots - like them both for the detail and colour, particularly the rich dark tones of the cone.

Nice PoV on the grass Naka, indeed it does look spiky from that angle.
Nice low light shot on the ( pine) cone too (y)

Spiky is a lovely sharp image...Very nice.

The reshoot is just fabulous. Absolutely love it. Fine reflection!

Hi Naka... I really like your shot for spiky. It feels slightly desaturated but the lighting works well for me and depth of field is spot on.

Reshoot of living world is a really nice shot - lovely reflection and effective composition. Personally (and this is just my preference rather than being right or wrong) I'd like to see a touch more filling in of the shadows inside the cone but I realise you may well have wanted more of an accent light look. Which you have and it's very well done (y)

(the progress of your lighting setup shots including portraits is fantastic - seeing your various threads around the forum... keep it up!!)

Thank you Paul. I desaturated the spiky shot on purpose. I liked the way the shapes were accentuated with the angle of the lighting (about 95c camera left), but I can see why filling in the shadows would look good as well. I think it would need another light from the right, at low power. I tried lifting the shadow on right with a reflector but it didn't work. I don't know if I wasn't angling it properly, or the flash power was too low to throw light on it.

And thank you, I'm trying :)

You're not trying... you're succeeding!

Yes, sometimes it's easier to add another light source than try to reflect your key light. As you say, getting the angle of that reflector and the distance between it, the light and the subject are quite a few variables that need to be spot on - as well as avoiding lightening the background!

Artificial, good fit for the theme, have to say I'm in two minds about the composition

Personal is very good indeed, love the montage.

Effort, both very good for the theme but I prefer the first, I think the lighting is good and draws attention to the elements nicely.

Loving the personal clone shot (y)
Thanks Frank :)

Artificial, good fit for the theme, have to say I'm in two minds about the composition

Personal is very good indeed, love the montage.

Effort, both very good for the theme but I prefer the first, I think the lighting is good and draws attention to the elements nicely.
Thank you Chris. I'm not too sure about artificial overall. It was another difficult one for me, as you can probably tell. I couldn't really think of anything that I had in the house apart from light, and I wanted to do something different.

Love the personal, clone version, very imaginative and very well crafted.

Effort such a simple but excellent way to fill the brief, well done

Hi Naka. You ... all three of you .... look very natural for the multi-shot for Personal. Great idea. I actually like the second one for Effort - good use of DoF to highlight.

Hi there ....fabulous shot for Personal Naka, you've done that very well. Two good ideas for Effort too, I really like the silhouette effect in the first one.
Yep the first for me too. Great concept.

Gaz
Love the personal, clone version, very imaginative and very well crafted.

Effort such a simple but excellent way to fill the brief, well done
Hi Naka. You ... all three of you .... look very natural for the multi-shot for Personal. Great idea. I actually like the second one for Effort - good use of DoF to highlight.
Thank you :)

I love your personal - such a clever idea - I wouldn't know where to start to put that together! I really like the crop on 'effort', too - just using the body was an unusual approach but works very well.
It's pretty easy actually Emja. My daughter was amused/confused on seeing three of me! I'm glad using just the body worked. I was forced to chop the upper portion off as I wanted the feet/limbs in the photo. Glad it works as I have limited clear space and one one (prime) lens.

Loving the shot for personal Naka...I've always like the multiplicity shots.

Effort...Liking both, but the effort of lifting the sack just edges it for me.

Really enjoying your challenge shots :)

A good set of shots there Naka. I really like the multiple shot - I must learn how to do that. I like the silhouette shot for effort too. Good stuff (y)

Personal is nice work.

Effort is my favourite. Well thought out and captured ... with silhouettiness.

(y)

Three good photos,

Artificial, good fit for the theme seems like they have been dropped because they are artificial.
Personal - clever idea for the theme and well planned and shot.
Effort - personally I prefer the first. Seems more on theme for me.

Hi Naka

Artificial - Nice image certainly fits the theme

Personal - I really like this very well thought out

Effort - I like both but the first one is my favourite

Back