weekly Nick's 52/12 Week Challenge - Week 52 - ''Busy (in York)" Finished !!! :-) " added

Random – I like #1. The pp you’ve used gives it a retro feel to it that really works.

Temperature – #1 has a great composition and good use of a shallow DoF

Temperature #1 is a well thought out photograph. First thing I thought was, "Why isn't the flame in focus?".

#2, cracking, liking it a lot. I has bags of energy and dynamism. Reminds me of a scene out of Lord of the Rings :clap:

Cheers.

Yes number two is the bee's knees! Great composition and exposure, and as Andy says, lots of dynamism :)

Last edited:
Leave - the last shot posted is a winner. Great scene, good amount of colour and good skyline. Nice work!

Random - good shots all round. I like the bunker picture and will definitely look at going there when at my mums sometime.

Temperature - #2 is a really nice, good colours and energy in that one.

Some strong weeks there!!

2nd one is much better, can almost feel the heat :clap:

Gramps, Alby, Marsha, Robert, DK, Lynne, Mike, Michael, Mark, Allan, Peter, Andy, Neil, Alex and summer.

Thank you all very much for your feedback this week it's very much appreciated. So onwards and upwards. Abstract ! now what am I going to do with that ?

Week 23 - Abstract

Not an easy subject this week !

It's completely open to interpretation and can be defined as existing in thought or as an idea without any form of context or explanation whatsoever !

So here is my submission for this week:

7326767822_5899f177ac_b.jpg

The open hand begs the question what is going on? Is the subject tense or relaxed ?

Does it matter as the subject is completely open to interpretation !

I quite like this theme as it will be so varied! But surely every theme is an individual's interpretation? The Leave/ leaves debate caused quite a debate!

I like your abstract, nice detail in the hand and I quite like the strong contrast against the background. It's interesting as there's no sense of scale, is it huge or teeny:thinking:

I think that's fantastic Nick! Great interpretation, and can't fault the photography :)

I quite like this theme as it will be so varied! But surely every theme is an individual's interpretation? The Leave/ leaves debate caused quite a debate!

I like your abstract, nice detail in the hand and I quite like the strong contrast against the background. It's interesting as there's no sense of scale, is it huge or teeny:thinking:

Thank you very much Marsha, Michael, Bob, Mark and Alby,

I appreciate your comments your comments but on reflection I don't think this is particularly abstract so I'm going to have another bash....

The subject in question was Constantine the Great Roman Emperor from 306 to 337. the bronze is situated by York Minster. I took the above image standing underneath the hand, it's quite an impressive piece..

7155601891_9b552da140_z.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Nick, I agree it was a difficult theme this week but I think you have captured the theme very well. I like both shots, each different. I think the second one works really well for abstract. Hard to determine what it is , hence great for the theme!!!! Great work!!! :clap:

Hi Nick, sorry I've just realised I've not been to visit you this week!!:)

I like your picture of the hand, you've cracked the exposure which would have been tricky with the bright sky behind. for abstract though I prefer your second shot which def covers this weeks theme. Usinf black and white is good as it makes you concentrate on the angles and not colours!!:)

Marsha, Michael, Bob, Mark, Alby, Peter, Victoria, DK and Sarah,

Many thanks for your comments for Abstract. So ends another week, I wonder what tomorrows theme will be, my last one for a while.

Nick

Hi ya matey

liking your abstract hand but really liking the rails , mono tones work really well & like the angles & shadows...a great image :clap:

Sorry to hear you're sailing off soon , hopefully you'll keep in touch & pop in when & if you can (y)

& a mahooosive congrats on your POTY entry...fab image :clap::clap:

Hi ya matey

liking your abstract hand but really liking the rails , mono tones work really well & like the angles & shadows...a great image :clap:

Sorry to hear you're sailing off soon , hopefully you'll keep in touch & pop in when & if you can (y)

& a mahooosive congrats on your POTY entry...fab image :clap::clap:

Thank you Lynne, I was very chuffed to find out I'd got third place ! :) Im going to do my best to catch up when I can.

Thanks Lynne, I actually went looking for it after reading this post. I've not seen much of the POTY competition on here, it looks like VERY high standards with that Scottie chap doing very well.

But well done to you Nick, it is a cracking image:clap:

Thank you Marsha, you really should try entering it. Difficult themes to interpret much harder than the 52 IMO.

Week 24 - Symmetry

I couldn't really leave tomorrow without posting a final image:-

7172247073_35da1e8eb5_b.jpg

A little rushed perhaps and I'm not really happy with it. It reminds me of some of my very early photographs I took at Paddington Art College back in the good old 80s.
Halcyon days !

Thank you all very much for your support, comments, companionship and feedback.

I will do my best to try and keep up but the internet connection but it is very hit and miss when I'm away. The ship will also turn it off from time to time for operational reasons.

See you all soon and I hope to be back in time for the 52 Christmas Bash.

Nick (y) (y) (y)

Last edited:
Abstract....cracker really like it as soon as I saw it. Nice lines, B&W works well. Only thing I'm not keen on is the black section upper right.

Symmetry...not an easy one to do. It has to be spot on or, I feel, it will fail.

You've done a cracking job here. I like the B&W again and the flowing lies are nice. Minor points: top of the front vase looks a little OOF and the line across the lower of the BG.

Overall, good show (y)

hi Nick
Not been round for a while cos i have fallen behind with my shots and try not to comment on others until I have posted. Not sure if that is a good strategy because those who are left post pretty quickly and i have a lot of catch up on comments to do. Conundrum

But seeing your post about imminent cruise;) I have made the effort (and I am a little more up to date too)

Random - #1 think v good shot. Sharp,nice dof, lovely old fashioned tone to colour (mono/cream). Like it alot but not sure that the holes are random cos wouldn't that make the message indecipherable? Or maybe it gets transformed into random and then somehow transformed back

#2 - fingerprints - again a lovely shot, clever idea and well executed. great colours but not sure about the part print at rh top corner.

Temperature - like the matches and the comp very much. Like the way that the matches are further burnt down the shaft from left to right. Your explanation at post #469 sums it up about right.
#2 - excellent (y) real feeling of energy. You're a dab hand at fire aren't you :thinking:

Abstract. - Hand - good shot but doesn't do as much for me as your usual shots. Doesn't seem abstract to me.
#2 - good composition and use of mono. Like the way that the diags on rails match the diags on steps. Good pic.

Symmetry - Like the idea and the treatment but just not quite spot on, partic the front vase. Back line does not seem straight and the shadows on the fronts of the vases are not symmetrical. Nice exposure.

Take care on your voyage. (y)

ah no symmetry is fine :clap: doesn't look rushed. Did you try it in B&W? have a good trip *waves*

nice b+w image nicely lit and nice shades if that makes any sense :clap:

Good luck with your trip :)

hmmm am I missing something? two different computers and on both it looks brown to me rather than B&W? :LOL:

:LOL: sorry bout that Michael

Back