weekly Nick's 52/12 Week Challenge - Week 52 - ''Busy (in York)" Finished !!! :-) " added

I think I'm too late for your departure, but if you do read this, take care :)

I really like that last image. A suggestion of symmetry without perfect symmetry, and great tones :)

Hi Nick

Symmetry - The front one seems to be leaning a bit, not much but my stupid eyes keep going to it.. anyway, love the curves on the pots and the lighting/reflections going down their sides, liking the PP too, a nice tone

Hope you manage to get some shots in during your time at sea, all the best (y)

Hi Nick, hope you're managing to have a sneaky peak, Symmetry fits the theme nicely, take care and we'll see you back soon

Hello all :wave:,

Many thanks for your comments in my absence it's really nice to catch up again!

Ships in Liverpool for a while and I managed to grab a few hours ashore in town which has given me the chance to catch up.

Entrance (re-shoot)

I couldn't resist this opportunity to capture the entrance to China Town, This is the largest ceremonial gate outside China. The sun was just in the right place.

7472377186_da1145f6a5_b.jpg

Mood

Someone in a very dark place

7472381094_7bafc2d709_h.jpg

Joy

Ken Dodd brings joy and laughter to millions with his sense of humour. Statue is situated on the concourse at Lime Street Station.

7472376832_30d63d07b0_h.jpg

Small

Small change, and little bit of oblique natural light and a make shift reflector from the aluminium from a Kit Kat wrapper

7472377588_ccc32fa56f_h.jpg

Please except my apologies for not getting around to comment. Mobile broadband is incurably slow to the point of tedium and also time is not on my side. (y)

Nick

Last edited:
Hi Nick :wave: Glad to see you've got the chance to catch up.

Entrance is a cracking shot, lovely colours everywhere.

Moody, yes a very dark place. Well caught.

Joy, he certainly did bring laughter in his day. I would consider cropping this close to the shoulders to cut out the clutter in the background, but then I realise you may not have that capability right now!

Small, fits the theme perfectly, I like the graduated lighting and an ingenious reflector used!

Well done for keeping up, I hope you're off somewhere sunny soon? Best escape the carnage of our summer sports event that is ruling the military right now! Take care.

Hi, there...(y)

Like entrance reshoot. Very vibrant colours...bit closer, maybe?

Mood, yes, cracker. Muted colours. Not sure how much time you had but wonder what a lower perspective would have looked like. I do, however, like the angle you did...adds to the sense her isolation.

Ken Dodd, indeed, a joy. BG is a bit distracting.

Quite like small: colour and the bright rim light on her face. Few different crops maybe?

Cheers.

Mood & Joy - good shots, both work well and fit the theme well; entrance looks a little as though it's leaning to the left but otherwise is a pleasing scene - Small I'm not keen on the crop, lighting or processing ... sorry!

Hi Nick!!!

Thought you would be off somewhere exotic and not Liverpool :LOL:

Great pictures, really like the entrance one. Well captured!!

Happy sailing :)

Thank You. Liverpool is the best run ashore in the UK - Official ! Believe you me there are far worse ports you could put in to around the world !

Armed Forces Day, what an amazing turn out (y)

Hi Nick :wave: Glad to see you've got the chance to catch up. Well done for keeping up, I hope you're off somewhere sunny soon? Best escape the carnage of our summer sports event that is ruling the military right now! Take care.

LOL, thankfully we have nothing to do with the Olympics but I have lots of shipmates who are involved. Some love it, some hate it!

Somewhere hot ?, I cannot confirm, nor deny where we may, or may not be going, and you being RAF should know better to ask,but thank you x :lol :cool:

Hi All,

Many thanks everyone for all your comments and feedback, all taken onboard and duly noted. (y)

Extremely limited time and resources.:rules: I'm only using my little compact Fuji X10, That's all I have room for onboard. My Nikon system has been lovingly mothballed until my return.:love:

My studio consists of natural light and reflectors made from tin foil from the galley and Kit Kat wrappers !. It's all improvisation and make-do-and-mend from this point onwards but that's half the fun :bang:

Keep Calm and Improvise :beer:

Nick

Blank_Canvas said:
Somewhere hot ?, I cannot confirm, nor deny where we may, or may not be going, and you being RAF should know better to ask,but thank you x :lol :cool:

I wasn't asking where, but when? Having been told off for a naf comment on FB I know better than to stick my nose in ;) But on the other hand I'm female and nosey and just have to pry:naughty: I never have been one for the :rules:

Hi Nick,

Good to see you still have the opportunity for some great shots. Shows alot of effort and inspiration with such limited props :). Well done, some great shots there.

I like the 'mood' shot ...... did it cheer her up at all???

Great entrance photo for China Town....very impressive. :D

Keep up the good work and be good to have you back in full form later on in the year.

Take Care (y)

moody is brilliant, I would feel guilty about taking such a shot though, joy is spot n - Ken Dodd does a 3 hour show straight and people have to leave because their sides hurt so much from laughing! The small change I like but I might have preferred to see the denomination of the coin, say the 1p side of a 1p coin as I think it would convey your subject better :) have fun out there - when do you pay off? Does the RFA still do 6 month trips?

Hi Nick

Good to see that you are able to keep going and in the circumstances not a bad 4 in a short time, partic as i am behind and i don't have any excuses.

Entrance - like the vibrant colour and the blue sky. Very cheerful and spot on theme. Probably would crop out the lower part to get rid of the white line and the yellow dashed lines as I was drawn to these immeciately.

Moody - I am very uncomfortable with these type of images and couldn't really comment. Just a personal thing.

Joy - Good clear focus and good texture and colour captured. Bit of distraction in b/g but the element of the statue overcomes this for me.

Small - another good idea. Quite like the quirky angle, the focus, the colour and the light. But I do agree with Summer about using the 1p side of the coin.

you have done really well with the restrictions of the camera you are using really like the MOODY shot

Welcome back Nick

Reshoot – Nice and colourful with almost a bit of symmetry with the entrance

Moody – The almost monotone feel to this brings out the theme

Joy – There’s someone I haven’t seen on the TV for years. Definitely makes you think of joy

Small – I bit close for me but I love your ingenuity of creating a reflector

Don’t worry about not commenting. Make the most of your time on land togging and submitting the results.

Hi, I'm trying to catch up, so won't comment on everything, but I LOVE your mood shot. Absolutely spot on!

Hi Nick. So far behind in comments, great shot for Moody and love the colours in Entrance. Look forward to future shots

Hi all,

I can't believe how many people have dropped out. thank you very much for all your comments. I have only got a few hours ashore so just a little bit of time to try to catch up.
As I have said before I do sincerely apologies for not getting around to comment on your work.

Week 28 straight

7576205986_1af95b55fd_b.jpg

Week 29 letter

7621859304_807211f516_b.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Nick :wave:

Straight, is that a corridor in the mess? It fits the theme nicely.

Letter, the top half looks a little out of focus, which is a shame as they're more relevant to the theme than the bottom half. But I know how difficult these shots are as I have taken an almost identical shot! I have another idea for this theme though so may not use my version.

Contrast, cracking shot for the theme(y) My only niggle is the big sale sign on the left, but a crop would remove the guy holding the double bass and pointing:thinking:

You're doing well keeping up(y)

Contrast, same idea as me contrasting people/things and I think it works well - I like your street version of the theme.

Welcome back onshore Nick although you have probably sailed again

Straight – You’ve handled the artificial lighting really well on this one

Letter – I like this. Using just part of the sign is quite effective

Contrast – What a great reportage shot of a group of musicians. There’s plenty in this one to look at and keeps the eye on the photo

Hi Nick, you're showing us all up, not having much access to TP and still keeping up with theme.

Contrast - I really like this one they look like they were having a lot of fun - it could have covered joy as well!!:)

I like your take on the contrast theme Nick, as you said contrast in light/shadow and quite an eclectic group of instruments. What did they sound like? :LOL:
I think a letterbox crop would solve the for sale sign being quite dominant in the frame IMHO.
I also like that it tells a little story too, and with the youngsters looking in different directions there are many elements to your photograph which draws the viewers eye in for a closer look around. Good work (y) Iain

great pic with lots of movement in it, but it doesn't say contrast to me sorry - maybe I'm having one of those days :( :(

(I must be cos I just had to correct 7 spelling mistakes in this post d'oh)

Desperately playing catch up, so sorry it's brief!

Straight - Wonderful! Makes me think of that scene in Inception.
Letter - Love the colours. Not sure about the framing though, with only part of the words shown it seems like something is missing.
Contrast - Fab. Love the contrast between the style of the players and the instruments.

Hi ya , sorry I missed your visit but glad you popped in & posted some great pic's (y)

Straight....fits the theme , love the colors & tones (y) ...my eye's may be playing tricks but seems a little on the squiff ...leaning very slightly to the right...?

Contrast....great capture Nick , loads to keep you looking at the image , really well captured :clap:

Hope you're having fun where ever you are & catch up soon matey :wave:

*waves*

How are you??

Good shots and well done for keeping up with it.

Straight - lovely corridor and nice shot.

Letter - works well (y)

Contrast - nice group shot, good contrast idea. Nice!

Good work Nick and well done for keeping up with the themes whilst working as well!!! :clap:

Some great work here and I really like the contrast photo. The interpretation of contrast works really well in this photo, in alot of aspects :)

Good to see you back here and keep up the good work :)

Thank you all very much for your comments it's very much appreciated. I'm sorry I haven't managed to get around everyone to comment even though the group is diminishing. Both computer and internet are in heavy demand by the ships , and it wouldn't be fair to hog it, hence my visits here are very short. On a positive at least i'm hanging in here ! (y)

Week 31 - Mineral

My submission for this subject is Oil....

7710733830_322bd2b90d_k.jpg

Dark - now what an I going to do with that ??:bang:

Last edited:
For some reason I am unable to update the spreadsheet for 'Mineral' The XL spreadsheet is taking ages to load and then not saving it. Please could someone kindly update it for me ? - There is a link to it from page 1 of my 52's.
Sorry to be a pain...... :bonk:

Many thanks - Nick

Hi Nick.

Straight: nice image, but does it need a tiny CCW rotation?

Letter I love, great colours and POV.

Contrast is a fantastic capture; well spotted!

Mineral, yep, that does the trick :) Nice shot, with my only criticism being that the whites look a little blown?

Back