Nifty Fifty Week Challenge Discussion Thread.

Thanks.

Just re-read the rules and realised I shouldn't have made the wreath a square crop.
It is a fun challenge Kell, nobody is going to be worried and I thought your wreath shot was really pretty! I admit when I wrote about crops I was thinking more of huge crops that totally change the view rather than the odd square crop :)

Dobby so reminded me of my own cats. All gone now but never forgotten.
Nikon_Nick #2
Dobby certainly looked cute, but the best "gits" always do! Dobby reminded me of Freebie sadly long gone, a little angel powered by the devil! She terrorised anyone who "crashed" at the flat after a session.:ROFLMAO:

Dobby certainly looked cute, but the best "gits" always do! Dobby reminded me of Freebie sadly long gone, a little angel powered by the devil! She terrorised anyone who "crashed" at the flat after a session.:ROFLMAO:
If anyone comes to our house, he will sit on their shoulder purring in their ear. Tough guy!

Thanks Paul I watched one last night, there are times when I think of getting an Adventure Bike to get me to places where I cannot walk but most appear to be no good for off road. I had a BMW R80 GS many years ago which really was a proper go anywhere bike. :)
My "Adventure Bike" aka Winter runaround. :ROFLMAO:

Sportster's Back-1003183 PS Adj upload.jpg

I gotta laugh, my winter hack! :ROFLMAO:
51743936186_8c2727b0dd_w.jpg

#07 Return to Sea
Stan that really is a great picture, love the way the sea wall leads you through the image.

Reactions: rpn
Some nice pics being posted. I'm slacking a bit due to work but hopefully that'll change tomorrow and I can catch up.

d00d's Nifty50 #1
D00d am I going completely insane or has your lovely image of the little Panasonic turned itself upside down?
Wornish's Nifty Fifty #3
I really like the reflection/shadow you have captured with this image, great lighting.

I really wish I had the drive to take part, but I am not that motivated right now.

Really enjoying this and some of the photos you lot have posted are ace. I'm glad I'm getting chance to practice a little so I don't forget everything I've just covered on my course.
I am surprised and delighted at the quantity and quality of the images that have been posted and the number of people who have joined in, especially considering the weather we have had. I sort of hoped we would get 50 images but I think we might exceed that! The quality of some of the indoor shots and lighting has really made me think I must put a bit more effort in and work on it. I tend to think of photography as an outdoor thing but there is a whole other world in there.

Thanks to everyone who has joined in with either posting images and/or adding to the discussion thread.

Last edited:
@rpn Your images are crisp and clear when you post on here. Can I ask what settings you use?

What size are your images - longest side in pixels and how large are they in terms of MBytes. I am assuming you are posting jpegs?

Mine seem to lose some clarity compared to what I see on my monitor and what I thought I had posted.
I have a feeling this site does some mods to make posted images "fit" and would love to know the best settings.

@rpn Your images are crisp and clear when you post on here. Can I ask what settings you use?

What size are your images - longest side in pixels and how large are they in terms of MBytes. I am assuming you are posting jpegs?

Mine seem to lose some clarity compared to what I see on my monitor and what I thought I had posted.
I have a feeling this site does some mods to make posted images "fit" and would love to know the best settings.

The camera is a 10 years old Nikon D800 which has a 36.8M pixels with an image size of 7,360 x 4,912 pixels set to large. However the maximum size allow here in TP is 1,000 px. When you click on any of the image it should take you to Flickr and you can see the settings there.

Horrible light today but managed to get a couple of shots.
You made the best of it with your two shots I particularly like the wood shot.

Have you seen anything but dull grey skies this week, I haven't!

terrible weather, quite liked how the street lights look in the thick fog tonight
That is a great set in the fog, like the way the railing leads you through the shot in number three, excellent composition.

terrible weather, quite liked how the street lights look in the thick fog tonight

Great set of images. I tried something similar at the weekend but it really didn't work. Mainly because I missed my focus by a mile.

I was slightly more successful earlier in the year for the TP52:

TP52: WK04 - Tall 01 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Last edited:
For a change the north-east of Scotland is enjoying a spell of mild weather in the past few days with gorgeous sunrise and sunset as in my submissions.
Be warned Stan I am coming to the north of Scotland for two weeks in the middle of January, expect grey skies, drizzle and fog for those two weeks! :runaway:

Cracking sunrise shot by the way.

You made the best of it with your two shots I particularly like the wood shot.

Have you seen anything but dull grey skies this week, I haven't!
Thank you. As for the weather the dull grey looks set to last for the foreseeable

That is a great set in the fog, like the way the railing leads you through the shot in number three, excellent composition.
Great set of images. I tried something similar at the weekend but it really didn't work. Mainly because I missed my focus by a mile.

I was slightly more successful earlier in the year for the TP52:

TP52: WK04 - Tall 01 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr
Thanks both, trying to make the best of the terrible weather. It does look like it will improve before the end date so there maybe more pics to follow!

@Baloo Baloo No 12.

I'm not usually big on IR stuff but I really like this one. (y)
Thanks Paul it is a very marmite subject IR but I always fancied giving it a go, so when a IR converted E400 came up on ebay for the price of a couple of rounds of drinks, I thought why not especially as I had a cracking 14-54mm FT lens without a home!

Thanks to everyone who took part , images taken last week can still be posted, I have a few film shots to add.

Back