Nikon D800......

Sorry to say that after 6 months of trying to get consistently reliable results with the D800 hand-held I have thrown in the towel and downsized to a D750. Don't get me wrong, I think the D800 is an amazing camera but I'm simply not capable of holding it steady enough to prevent blurring of way more than 50% of the images I shoot. If anyone's in the market for a really low shutter count body in near pefect condition there's one in the classifieds. If it's okay with you good folks I'll poke my head in here every now and again just to remind myself of what I'm missing :(

Brighton...

K3DMDyn.jpg

I'm going to invest in some new memory cards. What's the highest 'speed' card that the D800 can make use of?

I don't think it can take advantage of UHS-ii so worth saving your money and going for a fast regular SD. Probably something like a Sandisk Extreme. That said if like me you often use live view for landscape etc, you'll still get a hefty delay after each exposure regardless of card. It seems to just be a D800 thing. The only major benefits to having a faster card seems to be if you regularly fill the buffer in burst mode and you get improved speeds when transferring to another device (via USB 3 at least).

Brighton...

K3DMDyn.jpg

”Excellent” shot, really nice presentation of this familiar sight, well composed, great light and the human interest is very appealing.

George.

Last one from a recent trip to Brighton and The West Pier. D800+ Nikon 50mm F1.8 AI

jsRJrUB.jpg

Another “Cracking“ shot of this well known location.

George.

I was wondering what you chaps would recommend for a substitute for a 80-400 VR for a D800. I want to use it for trackside motorsport so would prefer the AF to be fairly quick but I can’t afford to spend much more than £500 ish. I don’t really read reviews and such so don’t know what the best choice to aim for. I don’t mind if it’s Sigma or Tamron etc. Secondhand is fine, in fact preferred to get more for my money.

Hi, I use the Nikkor VR 4/70-200 on the D800 for vintage car rallye motorsport, and am satisfied. However, during these events, I can get as close to the road as I dare ...

For circuits, you might need something longer ---

Examples :

D80_7252-n70c-tp.jpg

D80_7335-n70c-tp.jpg

D80_7920-n70c-tp.jpg

Last edited:
Local Bluebell Wood with Nikon D800 + Nikkor 50mm F1.8 AI

WQUx8IK.jpg

Very nice shot, with some lovely colours and beautiful light.

George.

Hi, with the Sigma 150-600c, crop. - KIF :

D80_9882-s150c.jpg

I use my D800 almost daily or pics like this. Faithful old iron ... ---

Well I'm back on the D800 fold. I bought one on release day for well over 2k but had to sell most of my camera gear a few years ago to fund a house deposit. Just picked a Minty low shutter count one up for £500! How times change. Still a beast of a camera. Can't wait for it to arrive and get going with it again.

I bought my D800 in May 2013 for £1929.95 and always had a problem getting the colour red correct. Then I dropped it and had to go for quite expensive repair.
When it came back it was better than new with the red colour even corrected. Shutter count now of 12353
So while it was in for repair I got the D810 which I find is a better camera now the AA filter has gone, and the video side is better as well. Still got the D800 and the D300

Last edited:
Hi, still using my D800 (happily) , with the Sigma 150-600 (crop) :

D80_0526-s150c-tp.jpg

D80_0550-s150c-tp.jpg

D80_0523-s150c-tp.jpg

Or with the Nikkor 4/70 - 200 (crop):

D80_0444-n70c-tp.jpg

Trouble-free fun!!!

Boat Jetty near Rockford...New Forest

Nbyt6oV.jpg

"Cracking" shot Adrian, well composed with some really lovely colours & atmosphere.

George.

Back