weekly Nortdog's TP52 For 2014 - Week 27 Rich

Great work on the downhill rider... perfect sense of spped and motion but still retaining sharpness.

Only thing is the background, can't help but feel there must have been somewhere with less distractions, the tape isn't a problem, but the people and tents especially do detract.

Have to agree with Graham on this, the light painting i quite like though not a big fan of it usually but this seems to work

wooo ... light painting gear ... I'm fascinated.

the setting alone is nice enough.

HI Phil

Not sure which week each image belongs to as my brain is all fuddled !

Bike shot...super sharp , the surrounds add the image for me though I can see the attraction of trying to blend an image without all the tape...but it's a competition & that's what you get so top marks from me :clap:

Kiwi Fruit.....works really well with back lighting , plenty of detail , freshness has been caught well :clap:

Pencil sharpener....different but great take on the theme , I like the bits you have focused on , no horrid reflections or bright bits on the sharpener , the pencil leading in from the corner.......another one with the patience of a saint :clap:

Hi Adam,

Shape... lovely colours in the sky too, sorry don't know anything about light painting so not really able to comment but I do like it (y)

the bike shot is a bit cluttered but that's what bike racing is like it add atmosphere well stopped:)

I like a bit of light painting myself (y)

You've done well with the Orb and nice colours on the left.

The bike is well lit and good detail. I don't mind the slight movement but would prefer a bit of panning.

Cheers.

Hi Adam .... I agree with Phil on the cycle one. The one above ..... the light painting, is fascinating, I have no idea how that's done, I really like the coloured images to the left hand side.
thanks susie
Have to agree with Graham on this, the light painting i quite like though not a big fan of it usually but this seems to work
cheers allan
wooo ... light painting gear ... I'm fascinated.

the setting alone is nice enough.
thanks david. its actually a lot more simple to do than you would think!

Hi Adam,

Shape... lovely colours in the sky too, sorry don't know anything about light painting so not really able to comment but I do like it (y)

the bike shot is a bit cluttered but that's what bike racing is like it add atmosphere well stopped:)
cheers judi

I like a bit of light painting myself (y)

You've done well with the Orb and nice colours on the left.

The bike is well lit and good detail. I don't mind the slight movement but would prefer a bit of panning.

Cheers.
cheers andy. I did do a few panning shots at different speeds but wasn't sure the end result looked as interesting as the one I posted. This was one of the best panning shots but still not sure? :thinking:

IMG_8001 by Nortdog, on Flickr

thats a really cool image even if it is spinning me out as my brain is trying to keep up with it, its a bit trippy if you look at it too long lol

thats a really cool image even if it is spinning me out as my brain is trying to keep up with it, its a bit trippy if you look at it too long lol
Ha ha Ye it does make the eyes go funny if you look long enough!:confused:

Hi Adam

Fresh - vibrant colours , lots of impact - centre looks like it is exploding (y)
Shape - orbs etc not really my thing, but this does work for the theme and the colours and shapes to the left bring it a bit out of the ordinary
Bike shot - all has been said and nice to see an out of doors shot in this Challenge

Well managed to get my shot in on time this week! (just). The idea for this theme finally came to me today. The idea is that apparently the tensile strength of a spider's web is greater than the same weight of steel. I searched for ages to try and get a good example of one, with no success due to wind and rain destroying most I could find :grumpy:. I finally settled on this one and managed to just about pick out I focal point around a rain drop. I also left the trapped piece of debris in the frame to try and hold attention. Thanks for looking guys.

IMG_8051 by Nortdog, on Flickr

There's some good detail in there Adam and the dof works (y)........:thinking:.........it just seems to lack a little something for me :)

Hi, my first idea was a spiders web for the theme had the same problem the rain had battered them, glad someone has done it it is lacking something I feel but a great idea

Strong, I didn't get the connection at first :)

On theme and a little, or big, spider would really take it up a level.

I like your bike edit...if you got a little motion I the front wheel...(y)

Cheers.

Good work on Strong Adam, your narrative helps the image along but I like the abstract nature and the high contrast look to it (y)

Action - This is really well captured and lit. I particularly like the unusual angle in looking up at the subject which makes the lighting all the more skilled. Just the right amount of motion in the bird's wings as well

Mono - Nice composition although I feel it's a bit too contrasty which has lost some of the detail in places on the camera. The strips of film add to the image nicely.

Twisted - Nice idea. The green and yellow of the pencil works well. I certainly agree that the edit in cleaning the whites up a bit was worth doing

Fresh - A very striking image. I like the back lighting on this one

Shape - Good use of some lighting painting. The background has been nicely lit. It would have been easy to have left this dark which wouldn't have been anywhere near as strong.

Number – Nicely lit and a good capture of some action. Ok the number isn't prominent but it doesn't distract from a very good shot.

Strong – Well seen but I do feel it needed a juicy spider waiting for it's prey on there

love the spiders web, great DOF and nice colours with plenty to engage with the waterdrops on it

I like it... theres enough going on to keep me looking round the image...
Hi, my first idea was a spiders web for the theme had the same problem the rain had battered them, glad someone has done it it is lacking something I feel but a great idea
Cheers guys
Strong, I didn't get the connection at first :)

On theme and a little, or big, spider would really take it up a level.

I like your bike edit...if you got a little motion I the front wheel...(y)

Cheers.
Cheers Andy, Ye I did look to see if I could find one but think the rain made them take cover!
I thought it was texture an bloody great too
Good work on Strong Adam, your narrative helps the image along but I like the abstract nature and the high contrast look to it (y)
Thanks guys

Action - This is really well captured and lit. I particularly like the unusual angle in looking up at the subject which makes the lighting all the more skilled. Just the right amount of motion in the bird's wings as well

Mono - Nice composition although I feel it's a bit too contrasty which has lost some of the detail in places on the camera. The strips of film add to the image nicely.

Twisted - Nice idea. The green and yellow of the pencil works well. I certainly agree that the edit in cleaning the whites up a bit was worth doing

Fresh - A very striking image. I like the back lighting on this one

Shape - Good use of some lighting painting. The background has been nicely lit. It would have been easy to have left this dark which wouldn't have been anywhere near as strong.

Number – Nicely lit and a good capture of some action. Ok the number isn't prominent but it doesn't distract from a very good shot.

Strong – Well seen but I do feel it needed a juicy spider waiting for it's prey on there
Thanks very much for some detailed crit peter

HI Adam

the last bike image you posted works really well for me , my eye is drawn to the panning which gives a great impression of speed (y)

Strong......yup , I had that thought as well but failed to find any in tact ! Like the darkness against the delicate nature of the web & the droplet in focus.....spider would have really lifted it but hey , life just doesn't always work that way

well its the start of a mammoth catch up for me, ive got some time off coming up at the end of the week and im determined to get up to date!
first up is week 23, Wild. ive had this idea for a while but waited until I found an interesting subject, or one that would stay still for long enough. This is a first dip into proper macro rather than just close up, it was done by just reversing the kit lens to see if I get on with the different focusing techniques and the results I can get before go for a proper macro lens!
IMG_8100 by Nortdog, on Flickr

Hi Adam :)

Sorry but I appear to be miles behind on your thread :(

Trying to catch up on a few so apologies it will be breif...

Shape - Presuming the light painting is for shape... having done this a couple of times only myself (just taking the pics not the painting) really impressed with your results, a cracking orb, some lovely colours and really like the woodland backdrop and some sky shining through (y)

Next shot - again unsure of theme it is for, as it is on neither the pics only thread, here as a title nor even the images flickr link - a re-shoot ?? Action, speed, Play... either way a nice pic, liking the positioning of the rider in the frame, a lovely bright image, nice and sharp and probably on theme lol

The edit shot, liking that, does my brain in a bit, but the flash ?? has sure helped freeze the action and seems to have given it a floaty look :)

Strong - As an idea it works, just feel the web could do with being a bit more prominent, maybe closer in ??, but I'm liking the colours and the shiny beads of water :)

Spider shot - texture or wild ??... the image is excellent, super detail showing good detail/texture on the legs of this wild spider :D well lit too, a real good effort (y)

Right i'm knackered, off to kip Zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Hi Adam :)

Sorry but I appear to be miles behind on your thread :(

Trying to catch up on a few so apologies it will be breif...

Shape - Presuming the light painting is for shape... having done this a couple of times only myself (just taking the pics not the painting) really impressed with your results, a cracking orb, some lovely colours and really like the woodland backdrop and some sky shining through (y)

Next shot - again unsure of theme it is for, as it is on neither the pics only thread, here as a title nor even the images flickr link - a re-shoot ?? Action, speed, Play... either way a nice pic, liking the positioning of the rider in the frame, a lovely bright image, nice and sharp and probably on theme lol

The edit shot, liking that, does my brain in a bit, but the flash ?? has sure helped freeze the action and seems to have given it a floaty look :)

Strong - As an idea it works, just feel the web could do with being a bit more prominent, maybe closer in ??, but I'm liking the colours and the shiny beads of water :)

Spider shot - texture or wild ??... the image is excellent, super detail showing good detail/texture on the legs of this wild spider :D well lit too, a real good effort (y)

Right i'm knackered, off to kip Zzzzzzzzzzzzz
Im the last one to talk, I'm miles behind quite a few threads!
Yes the light painting is for shape, the next one (first bike) is for numbers. The second bike was just put in as somebody asked if I had any panning shots. I did urs flash to try an freeze the rider a bit whilst I was panning.
I agree with strong, not the best at all. The spider is for wild, thanks very much for your crit.

Adam - I just LOVE the spider. The detail on the legs is amazing and the only thing I find (which is probably just me) is the front leg which is OOF is slightly distracting. It might be because it's more or less the same angle as the crack between the slabs?

But a great macro shot... I hope to be able to take these sorts of pictures one day!

An absolutely cracking shot. The detail is spot on where it need to be. The composition is strong as well as are the colours. What aperture were you using Adam?

Adam - I just LOVE the spider. The detail on the legs is amazing and the only thing I find (which is probably just me) is the front leg which is OOF is slightly distracting. It might be because it's more or less the same angle as the crack between the slabs?

But a great macro shot... I hope to be able to take these sorts of pictures one day!
Thanks a lot paul, I know what you mean with the leg, it is quite distracting now you've pointed it out! I'm sure you can, jump in and have a go you'll be surprised with the results!
Wild - the spider is just fantastic superb work.
cheers Mandy
An absolutely cracking shot. The detail is spot on where it need to be. The composition is strong as well as are the colours. What aperture were you using Adam?
thanks a lot peter, the aperture was F10, it was a bit of a gamble as to if the DOF would be enough as I wasn't able to change it once the lens was on.

Hi Adam,
strong.. good idea, spiders webs are definitely strong always getting caught up in them in the greenhouse, could do with a focal point but well taken.
wild. the spider is great, nicely focused with lots of detail (y)

Hi Adam

reversing a lens is not something I've tried but I must say I'm impressed with the results ...almost perfect focus (I suspect the legs were on a different focal plane.....at least I think that's the expression ! )Wll lit & placed in the frame with plenty of detail in the eye's & the hairs on it's legs (y)

Last edited:
Back