weekly Nortdog's TP52 For 2014 - Week 27 Rich

than
Hi Adam

reversing a lens is not something I've tried but I must say I'm impressed with the results ...almost perfect focus (I suspect the legs were on a different focal plane.....at least I think that's the expression ! )Wll lit & placed in the frame with plenty of detail in the eye's & the hairs on it's legs (y)
thanks Lynne. I was surprised at the results to say that's its by no means a proper macro lens.

Hi Adam .... Smashing little spider there, nicely focused on the head, and lovely colour in the body. I've been doing a fair bit of macro lately and the focus isn't easy....well done with that one.
cheers Susie

Yep, the spider shot is great Adam, focus spot on where it needs it, I have no idea about reversing lenses but you certainly seem to have achieved a good image with the technique. (y)

That Spider is fantastic!
cheers simon
Yep, the spider shot is great Adam, focus spot on where it needs it, I have no idea about reversing lenses but you certainly seem to have achieved a good image with the technique. (y)
cheers phil, its easy do do, all you need is a reversing ring (about £2 off ebay) set the aperture first then take the lens off and mount it the other way and you can get up to about x3 magnification with the kit lens.

First catch up post for me whilst im on hol for a couple of weeks. Had this shot im mind for a few days as a dreamy scene that I could quite easily visit every day if it was up to me! I spent a couple of days looking for the best spot to catch a sunrise where im staying and settled for here. So 5:30 this morning I was down on the beach set up waiting for the right light!

IMG_8163 by Nortdog, on Flickr

Hi Adam .... A really super image and well worth waiting for.....lovely colour and softness....perfect for the theme.
Cheers Susie
That is superb. ND filter? Or just right due to the time of day?
thanks simon, no this one wasn't took with a filter, there was just enough light for a balanced exposure. I did take a few with a filter about 15 20mins after this when there was more light but liked this one the most in the end.

Hey Adam, lovely shot there. Colours and lighting just spot on. Composition/balance nice but I might prefer something more to the right somewhere - it looks a bit left-heavy. Feels bang on-theme for me.

I know that if I'd have taken this shot (as if!) I'd have lightened the shadow detail probably too much... I look at it wanting to see more in the darks of the rocks, but that would take the mystery away! Cracking job.

lovely shot there adam, great colours in the sky, nice foreground interest and movement in the water..... and a super rim light on the foreground rocks too. :clap:

second catch up post for me, I thought of this for vertical. Its one of the first lighthouses built in Cabopino, built in 1469. They used it by setting fire to the top so the ships could see. Managed to catch some stunning light and was silent and perfectly still. really nice night.

IMG_8261 by Nortdog, on Flickr

Dreamy indeed. Lovely warm colours and nice movement in the water, and it looks like several naked bodies in the foreground :naughty:

Vertical, again some nice light but I'd like to see much closer to the lighthouse.

Cheers.

Sorry adam but I'm really not liking the composition on the lighthouse one.... The colours and the balance of light through the foreground and the beautifully graduated sky :)thumbs: for the processing on this), I do like.

Think the lighthouse is too central, and I feel a bit cheated out of the fantastic colour in the sky as you've only given me half the frame of it. I do like the rocks, could you have swung round to the left, or even gone further left to get a lead in of the cliff edge?

Dreamy indeed. Lovely warm colours and nice movement in the water, and it looks like several naked bodies in the foreground :naughty:

Vertical, again some nice light but I'd like to see much closer to the lighthouse.

Cheers.
Cheers Andy
Adam - another cracker for vertical. Lovely colours and just the right amount of shadow detail for me on the foreground rocks. I like the backmost layer of hills, too. It works well!
Thanks very much Paul.
Sorry adam but I'm really not liking the composition on the lighthouse one.... The colours and the balance of light through the foreground and the beautifully graduated sky :)thumbs: for the processing on this), I do like.

Think the lighthouse is too central, and I feel a bit cheated out of the fantastic colour in the sky as you've only given me half the frame of it. I do like the rocks, could you have swung round to the left, or even gone further left to get a lead in of the cliff edge?
No worries Graham, thanks for the crit. I was a little concerned about the lighthouse being a bit too central when I was shooting but where I was stood was the only opening to walk through from a car park, the rest was a wooden barrier so I couldn't move any further to the left. I did try a few steps through the opening and to the left but then there was no interest for the foreground so it looked empty and I thought this was weaker still.:banghead:

Hi Adam, a good choice for the theme, I actually prefer it if I pull it down my screen and block out the rocks...the lighthouse seems to look really solitary when I do that, and it gives it more emphasis, another shot where you have captured a really lovely soft light.

Hi, great sky and colour bit more light on the lighthouse (no idea how you would achieve that) would have made it i feel, love the colour and light in dreamy too

Hi Adam

now that's a sunrise worth getting out of bed for....super shot...no crit just a big (y)

Vertical....given your words about the positioning to get this shot I quite like it......closer would have been good but as you say , no foreground would have let it down . I'd like maybe a touch more light on the lighthouse itself , just lift the shadows selectively maybe ?

Hope your'e having/had a great holiday :clap:

Hi Adam,
dream.. beautiful :) nice warm colours, no crit from me
Vertical...Like Graham says the composition could be better but lovely colours again:)
Cheers Judi
Hi Adam, a good choice for the theme, I actually prefer it if I pull it down my screen and block out the rocks...the lighthouse seems to look really solitary when I do that, and it gives it more emphasis, another shot where you have captured a really lovely soft light.
Thanks Susie, I might have another look to see if I can improve the comp
Hi Adam

Wild - great macro shot lovely de

Dreamy - fantastic effect you have achieved there well done

Vertical - on theme , great colours but missing that final punch
cheers craig, I agree
Hi, great sky and colour bit more light on the lighthouse (no idea how you would achieve that) would have made it i feel, love the colour and light in dreamy too
thanks Allan
Hi Adam

now that's a sunrise worth getting out of bed for....super shot...no crit just a big (y)

Vertical....given your words about the positioning to get this shot I quite like it......closer would have been good but as you say , no foreground would have let it down . I'd like maybe a touch more light on the lighthouse itself , just lift the shadows selectively maybe ?

Hope your'e having/had a great holiday :clap:
cheers Lynne, Ye I think I'll revisit this one, see if a lift of the shadows helps.

Theres enough going on in vertical to hold my train of thought Adam... nice foreground which leads into the image and the small hint of the moon is nice & subtle but interesting....

Hi Adam,

I like this for Vertical, it's got some great colours in it - the time of day is captured well and I love that the crescent moon is there too.

Hi Adam
Wild - cracking shot of the spider - good focus and colour - spot on theme
Dreamy - Excellent landscape shot - good f/ rocks, super colour and light and stillness. May have been better just from a smidgeon higher up so that those rocks in middle distance wold have a little bit of water above to separate from the rear hills IYSWIM
Vertical - the central comp works but IMO the rule of thirds would have given a better comp. Good colour and f/g interest and position of moon.

first of all I want to apologise for my lack of activity on here recently, ive had to have a made catch up with life after returning from hol + had holiday shots to edit! Ive got a lot more time dedicate to TP now so time to push on and catch up! First catch up pic is for texture. This landed on a table I was sitting at then didn't move for ages so gave me plenty of time to set up a shot and get focus as accurate as possible. the texture in the eye is incredible and just goes to show the amazing things our naked eye misses.

IMG_8183 by Nortdog, on Flickr

second catch up image is for rich. I know this is going to be a marmite post, some people may not like it at all. I wanted to try and get a totally different shot to the ones I was taking that day and decided to go for a really slow shutter pan with just a slither sharp(ish) for an abstract feel. This Ferrari appeared around Peurto Banus, where I was staying at the time and I just had time to dial in some settings and shoot!

IMG_8274 by Nortdog, on Flickr

Texture (reshoot I presume?) - superb. Great detail! I love the combination of flat POV and micro DOF that makes it look like the insect is standing on a thin line.

Super shot for any situation but works so well for the theme.

Rich: too much movement on the car for me. I know what you were wanting to do (and you achieved it) but for me it hasn't worked as well as a shot where the majority of the car is sharp. Sorry! (And others may disagree)... perfectly on theme though ;)

Text you lovely detail especially eye, nice greens good shot.

Rich, I wasn't sure at first because of the movement in all the photograph but actually quite like it now, off centre would improve in my opinion.

Cheers.

Hi, Texture is very good as you said amazing texture in the eye and fantastic colour
I like rich also, don't think the car needs to be sharp, I agree with Andy about it being off centre

Hi Adam :)

Dreamy - Definetly worth getting up for, a lovely spot, great minds with the dreamy water thought, the horizon lookas a difficult one to work out love the colours you have caught on this, the silky water reflects the colours nicely, and them shiny rocks are are spot on - great image (y)

Vertical - There is that great sky again !! - an interesting shot, I'd prefer a bit more prominence on the lighthouse for the theme, but still as an image it works nicely for me, 3 main elements a couple of which are on the thirds, some foreground interest, wonderful light bringing out some good detail... like it :)

Texture - Wow that is a little beast... love the detail on this, liking the angle and colours are real nice too, super macro shot (y)

Rich - For a catch up shot that was taken before the theme was announced... more of a pre-shot :D I quite like it, I think it's the colour I like, the badge is very recognisable, maybe a tiny bit more focus would improve it but a nice different image :)

Hope you had a great break !!!!

Hi Adam .... the car shot is a bit lost on me .... I didn't notice a badge o_O but that shot for texture is fabulous ... I love macro but have never managed to get in that close, incredible detail and you are so right ...the naked eye misses so much I am very envious of that one.....very well done :clap:

Hi Adam

texture.....cracking macro shot , so much detail....brilliant capture :clap:

Rich.....hmmm...I've seen plenty of motorsport shots in this style with wafer thin area in focus & still not sure if I like them :thinking: I like the panning effect & the red of the car ( didn't spot the badge at 1st ) but wonder if it needs a smidge less to the left & off the bottom & a boost of the red to make it really pop .....:thinking:

The eye texture is fantastic, really good macro work there.

Rich - IMHO you are so nearly there, the front 2/3rds of the car are spot on but the back wheel spoils it for me, sorry.

Back