Number of Clicks

Name
rob
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I often see on here that a camera is stated as having had x amount of actuations or clicks.

I'm interested to see how many shots I have done with my D90 but don't know how to access the necessary info.

Any pointers in the right direction would be very much appreciated.

Thank you
Rob

http://www.myshuttercount.com/

Alternatively if you use a Mac you can open the image in Preview, then open the info window. Your shutter count for that image will be shown in there. This works in 10.6, I don't know about 10.7 though.

Do any/all of the above show actual amount of actuations or clicks, or is it just the number for that actual image? Is this unique to Nikon?

Alternatively if you use a Mac you can open the image in Preview, then open the info window. Your shutter count for that image will be shown in there. This works in 10.6, I don't know about 10.7 though.

I have tried this in both preview and aperture metadata but it does not work. Using 10.7 Lion.

Last edited:
Thank you for your prompt advice, gents (y)

I've had the camera for two years this coming Xmas day and guessed that I had probably taken about 7,500 shots.

Well, the actual figure is 11,029!!

A somewhat modest total compared with most of you, I'm sure, but still 50% more than I thought.

I got into photography back when digital was yet to be invented and got used to being very careful about how many shots I fired off of any given subject due to the cost.
I truly love this digital adventure and the opportunity it has given me to shoot from as many angles and with as many exposure settings as I want.

But I wonder if my skill is increasing by the same amount per shot as it perhaps once did...

Do any/all of the above show actual amount of actuations or clicks, or is it just the number for that actual image? Is this unique to Nikon?

They show the shutter count, which is the actual "mileage", rather than just the file number. If you have Flickr it can also be found in the EXIF there as "image number"....

Screenshot2011-11-26at170932.png

I have tried this in both preview and aperture metadata but it does not work. Using 10.7 Lion.

Well i just tried both myshuttercount and Preview (Lion 10.7.2) and both resulted the same number; 18,445. That particular file is numbered 17,480. So roughly 1,000 out.

Photome is a small program that can tell you lots about the image.Can not say if it will show the click count for your camera,it will show for some cameras, but it still has loads of info.

http://www.photome.de/download_en.html

Last edited:
They show the shutter count, which is the actual "mileage", rather than just the file number. If you have Flickr it can also be found in the EXIF there as "image number"....

Screenshot2011-11-26at170932.png

OK thanks. Maybe I have a setting disabled somewhere or it is not supported in my camera but 'Image Number' in Flickr is set to 0 for my pics. That's a RAW converted to jpg and uploaded.

Not sure about Nikon but Pentax store the actual exposure number in the exif.

Photome is probably the most powerful exif reader available for free and will show it if stored.

Bear in mind that Nikon only include the shutter count in JPEG images taken, so if you usually shoot raw only you'll have to switch to jpeg to take the shot to get the shutter count.

NikkiA said:
Bear in mind that Nikon only include the shutter count in JPEG images taken, so if you usually shoot raw only you'll have to switch to jpeg to take the shot to get the shutter count.

Errrrr why do you think that? The shutter count is included in raw files

Errrrr why do you think that? The shutter count is included in raw files

:agree:

....and additionally, every raw file has a jpg embedded in it, it is what you are viewing on your lcd screen. I shoot raw only, but can easily get the shutter count by converting to jpg and uploading to flickr or using other such exif readers. :)

NikkiA said:

:thinking:

The screengrab above, showing the image number, pertains to an image taken in raw and converted in LR......

When using Photome use a photo that hasnt been in photoshop or lightroom-the shutter count doesnt show(on my Pentax K7).

When using Photome use a photo that hasnt been in photoshop or lightroom-the shutter count doesnt show(on my Pentax K7).

Or better still a .RAW. Sorry, should have said.

I have tried this method again, must have carried it out incorrectly before.

This def. works in OSX 10.7 Lion.

Thanks to the poster for the info.(y)

Never had an issue with images exported out of Lightroom, either as tiffs/jpegs (and then uploaded to flickr), or directly to flickr using the built-in uploader. Only when you choose 'minimise embedded metadata' that you don't get shutter count (among other things). Preview shows all the EXIF fine....

Back