OFFICIAL I HAVE A NEW (FILM RELATED) TOY THREAD!!

Well after a long time hunting I finally got a Bronica AE Prism finder SQ-i, got delivered today but cause I was not in has gone back to the port office. So pick it up tomorrow.

Blinking rare those things are.

this thread is dangerous :| i've just looked through here and thought about how jealous i am of some of you, i'm currently looking through ebay and various other websites in search of bargains :LOL:

There is a brand new Nikon F6 on ebay for £1400, it is a good job I don't have any money at the moment :)

Jeez, tell me about it. I am *so* glad I am working again - the list this last 10 days is just too damned scary to even think about ... :naughty:

There is a brand new Nikon F6 on ebay for £1400, it is a good job I don't have any money at the moment :)

Jacob's have them listed at £1450 I think - 10 days notice - I think they probably build and ship 'em direct from Nikon these days :)

Yes and I like this bit of largesse from the ad' for the F6:

"You are eligible to buy a filter or accessory with this item with no extra shipping charge."

It's still a crazy price for a 35mm slr isn't it ? :thinking:

It's pretty much the actual cost new of quite a few of the camera's regulars in here are using (allowing for 10-25 years+ of inflation)... Canon EOS-3 body was 185,000 Yen in 1998 - £1360 at current exchange rates. Add in 12 years of (say) 2%pa inflation and you're at £1690. The same calculation with the last of the Pro Canon's (EOS-1V) which launched in 2000 at 270,000 yen gives £2470. Top and bottom of it is, If you want the most up to date film camera to work with your top end Nikon Glass, then it's quite possibly worth every penny.

The only camera that's on my personal "must own sometime before I die" list costs a similar amount to the new F6 body, works with 35mm film, and isn't even a SLR, it's only a rangefinder, and you can't buy 'em new...

Last edited:
It's still a crazy price for a 35mm slr isn't it ? :thinking:

Depends :thinking:

Some 16 years ago I bought a mint Nikon F4s body for £1100 used and the F6 will do heap lot more for about the same money.

It's pretty much the actual cost new of quite a few of the camera's regulars in here are using (allowing for 10-25 years+ of inflation)... Canon EOS-3 body was 185,000 Yen in 1998 - £1360 at current exchange rates. Add in 12 years of (say) 2%pa inflation and you're at £1690. The same calculation with the last of the Pro Canon's (EOS-1V) which launched in 2000 at 270,000 yen gives £2470. Top and bottom of it is, If you want the most up to date film camera to work with your top end Nikon Glass, then it's quite possibly worth every penny.

The only camera that's on my personal "must own sometime before I die" list costs a similar amount to the new F6 body, works with 35mm film, and isn't even a SLR, it's only a rangefinder, and you can't buy 'em new...

thank you for your insight ! :)
the only problem is - that was then, without fullframe digitals.
so it's a small market now.
for that money I would go for a mamiya 7 rangefinder, I believe it's even cheaper. although wouldn't be that great for action etc.

thank you for your insight ! :)
the only problem is - that was then, without fullframe digitals.
so it's a small market now.
for that money I would go for a mamiya 7 rangefinder, I believe it's even cheaper. although wouldn't be that great for action etc.

I would (and did) just buy a good second hand one, rather than a new one, but If I was a pro. without a film camera, and had a definite requirement to still shoot film (oh - I dunno - a paid shoot with some band that insisted that they wanted it to be shot on film) I'd build the cost of the F6 into the shoot, and order one right away.

....If I was a pro. without a film camera, and had a definite requirement to still shoot film .......

I was talking to the owner of sepiamemories, who is a great chap and also a professional photographer - amongst other, wedding. He told me that 40% of his wedding photos ( i.e 40% of photos taken in any wedding) is still on films. There seems to be some, if not many, pros still using films.

Last edited:
I was talking to the owner of sepiamemories, who is a great chap and also a professional photographer - amongst other, wedding. He told me that 40% of his wedding photos ( i.e 40% of photos taken in any wedding) is still on films. There seems to be some, if not many, pros still using films.

Hey - I recently had a paying shoot that the customer asked if I could shoot on film (at least partially) rather than digital. Okay - it was for a friend's landscape gardening business, and he's a former pro-togger himself, but as he needed to be in the shots, he needed someone to do the shoot for him. He also wanted a certain look to the shots - which can loosely be translated to Velvia 100 and a polarising filter :LOL:

Which I am guessing means his garden came out lush green and he came out looking like a boiled lobster :D

It was mainly for the colourful flower displays and greenery, to be honest, but seeing as he spends 12 hours a day out in all weathers, he's pretty much in posession of a rather ruddy complexion at the best of times :LOL:

Wouldn't necessarily have been my choice, especially for the people shots, however he liked 'em and paid up smiling, so the 'pro side of me says "job done!"

Last edited:
Confession time... :naughty:

dynaxes-2.jpg

dynaxes-1.jpg

'nuff said.

Arthur

PS - TVS anyone? or Hexar AF? Watch this space :wacky:

Pretty much... they cost almost as much as a Dynax 7, and like hen's teeth into the bargain :eek:

Last edited:
well, after browsing afew charity shops on saturday i came across this at a bargain price :) i know its not worth much but i'm having a ripping good time pratting about with it!

it came with the helios 44M 2/58, another different (smaller) helios 44-2 2/58, a vivitar 35mm f/2.5, a prinzflex x3 converter, an FD fit 200mm f/3.5 and a soltron 131 flash for my AE-1. and then on top of that she even gave me some lenses for a camera i don't even own :LOL: i think its nikon fitment but i have no idea! theres a 135mm f/3.5 a vivitar 50mm f/1.8 and a prinzflex 28mm f2.8!

all that and even a half used film inside :LOL: what more could i ask for!?

4857094413_9e32d6bb4f_z.jpg

4857098107_b755a2d51e_z.jpg

4857721218_739fee97ae_z.jpg

i gave just that! i felt alittle bad so i donated another £20! :LOL:

I thought my Nikon FM, 50mm E series & flash (all absolutely mint) plus lowepro bag and spare batteries for £20 was a good deal :) I have an EM now in even better nick but just looking around for more old Nikons. Going to give the OM10 to Cameron :) Still none of these comes close to a top deal got by a chap I was talking too whilst out taking some pictures for work in Lytham. He picked up a Hassleblad with everything but the film holder for £40 from a charity shop. He said he just couldn't knock them down further and they thought he was doing them a favour. Apparently they said that some old dear brought it in and the staff in the shop were going to sling it as it didn't appear to work and didn't even take normal film plus everyones going digital. He didn't know what model it was but after spending some money on a film cassette (or whatever the back bit is) it worked straight off. He didn't know any more about it other than it came from a charity shop which he thinks was in east Lancs.

i gave just that! i felt alittle bad so i donated another £20! :LOL:

that's lovely ! (y)

even with that it's a bargain ! I guess I should start looking into those charity shops ! :nuts:

will you even use it ?

oh ! another cool thing - you said that the film is half done ?
it's kinda cheeky, but somewhat cool to see other people's photos unless they are nude, but in that case he/she wouldn't have had it donated to the shop :D

i will most certainly use it! i techinically already have though, i was playing about taking photos of my girlfriend while she was doing her hair (something she hates but i was thinking there was no film in it) but i later discovered it had :LOL: i think i'll get them developed, some of the frames may be ruined as i opened the back cover with the film still in place, but hopefully it'll only be a frame or two :)

on the charity shop front, i work in ormskirk town centre. the only things we have in ormskirk are pie shops and charity shops :LOL: its not even that big of a town!

i will most certainly use it! i techinically already have though, i was playing about taking photos of my girlfriend while she was doing her hair (something she hates but i was thinking there was no film in it) but i later discovered it had :LOL: i think i'll get them developed, some of the frames may be ruined as i opened the back cover with the film still in place, but hopefully it'll only be a frame or two :)

on the charity shop front, i work in ormskirk town centre. the only things we have in ormskirk are pie shops and charity shops :LOL: its not even that big of a town!

and a pub ! :p

I beg your pardon, there's afew pubs as well! :LOL:

don't worry, no offense taken! i should have put "forgive me" instead of "i beg your pardon" :LOL:

Ahem... time for some more dribbling:

contax-tvs.jpg

:D

Sadly, above TVS will need some *serious* tlc before it's ready to go outside again... no matter, the replacement Zorki C arrived today with the 35mm lens for the Kiev-4 in the same box :D The Kiev (yellow filter/colour film, remember?) now has 35, 50, 52 and 135 lenses while the Zorki only has the Elmar copy 50mm, a Jupiter 50 and the Ultron 35mm. I do have a 3c TC for it though...

Only one can remain here as they both cover the same ground - for me I think it will be the Zorki as I do like it more... yet the Kiev is better-equipped with light meter, lots lenses (but no case). Anyone any comments on the two cameras and which one would be the best to keep?

Arthur :bang:

PS - both is not an option in the current cleansweep that is become my desktop!

mamiya-ze-x.gif

Sorry for the stock photo - Haven't got around to taking a picture of mine yet :LOL:

Came with a MAMIYA-SEKOR EF 1.7 50mm - Final price - £5 :)

Bry

pain-pain-ache-headache-smiley-emoticon-000336-large.gif

:LOL:

My partner was rather confused as she walked from the kitchen to see me properly kicking the canon through the front door and into the garden :LOL:

Andy that brings back memories. My first SLR back in the 70's was a Zenit TTL and my son-in-laws first camera was a Zenit E. You could have thrown them off of Mt Everest and they would have still worked....weighed a ton though, which probably accounts for why I have severe neck and back problems now....LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
These are my July purchases.
DSC_4452E7.jpg

Last edited:
Back