Phil Bennett's 52 for 2016 - Stone Added

Loving the lighting and colours in your shots, nice reflections in the wood.
Minor criticism, I find the join in the wood a little distracting.

They stop the peas rolling off, when I spill them off my plate :p

Only kidding Anita, many thanks for taking the time to look and comment.

Phil

Wow! That is a fabulous image Philip. Beautifully lit and captured. Captivated by the sheer elegance of the dancer. Professional quality.

Wow. Just......wow. That's an amazing shot, Phil. No crit from me, because I'm not sure I can pick anything wrong with it at all! Bravo :)

Beautiful image Phil everything about it screams quality I can easily see this hanging on a wall of the dancers home or the ballet school or even being used in advertising

Effort is a stunning capture, Phil. Beautiful image and wonderful timing helped, obviously, by a very accomplished subject!

The way the harder light falls on her face could be seen as slightly distracting, but I actually find it interesting - both that and on her arms. A more conventionally lit shot wouldn't have the same drama IMO, so you've done well with something different.

:clap: obviously, because it's simply excellent! One question: where was the fourth light? Was it behind the model, firing through the dress where her legs cross?

Effort is a stunning capture, Phil. Beautiful image and wonderful timing helped, obviously, by a very accomplished subject!

The way the harder light falls on her face could be seen as slightly distracting, but I actually find it interesting - both that and on her arms. A more conventionally lit shot wouldn't have the same drama IMO, so you've done well with something different.

:clap: obviously, because it's simply excellent! One question: where was the fourth light? Was it behind the model, firing through the dress where her legs cross?
If I remember correctly, I had two speedlights behind the model right (as you look) and one each side front.

Phil

I like the reflections and the sheen of the wood is beautiful, not being a guitarist I have to ask what effect do you get when you select spank?
Spank, is a Fender Stratocaster, the three way toggle switch selects different models, push the tuning control, and you have three more, in any tuning you wish, its very clever.

Love the rich colour in Technology and the blue tint in paces suggest some form of electrical connection. I find Horizontal quite interesting; those vertical branches on the fallen tree suggest it is still alive and well - nature is stunningly versatile. :clap:

Nice little catch-up Phil with these three. I had a similar thought but grey and wet here and I couldn't find a golf ball to toss into the long grass for the shot. Lovely vibrant colours again and like the figures and the red/green complimenting colours.

Nice little catch-up Phil with these three. I had a similar thought but grey and wet here and I couldn't find a golf ball to toss into the long grass for the shot. Lovely vibrant colours again and like the figures and the red/green complimenting colours.
Thanks Carl

I needed to catch up as Im away on holiday from next Thursday, I had to walk to the rough, as my ball was in the middle of the fairway ;)

Phil

Hi Phil, technology is a superb shot - expertly composed and lit. This is obviously your comfort zone but your setup images are always excellent and a genuine pleasure to look at :clap:

Horizontal - cleverly on theme but I find it very busy and I'm not sure about the haze effect? I wonder whether shooting at a different time / evening with better conditions would help?
Vast - it definitely is, but compositionally I don't find this as strong as many of your other images. There's quite a lot going on, making it a complex image which doesn't allow the eye to move naturally through the frame. The trees in the foreground could make a frame for the midground/background, which would help perhaps?
Rough - this one is a super idea. I like the choice of aperture and focal point but my only issue would be I'd like to see that nearest tree sharp. I can understand why you've chosen the rough to be in focus, but perhaps focusing on the middle of that area would allow front-to-back sharpness on the rough and the tree, while still keeping the golfers OOF? Smart idea though (y) Very punchy greens coming out!

good group of pictures for your catch up - I love the Dancer for Effort what a fantastic capture and the lighting is spot on, and the Horizontal tree is quirky and intersting

Last edited:
Three nicely captured images there Phil.
Of the three, I prefer Vast, mainly due to the strong clouds you've captured.
Rough has the feel of being over processed, it may just be the clouds, but it feels like there are halos around the trees.

Three nicely captured images there Phil.
Of the three, I prefer Vast, mainly due to the strong clouds you've captured.
Rough has the feel of being over processed, it may just be the clouds, but it feels like there are halos around the trees.
It's edited with one of the VSCO presets in Lightroom Tim.

I see what you mean though.

Phil

Rough, yeah, works well. Nice detail and I like the little vivet at the bottom. I'm a bit OCD and would like a little off the top to get rid of the branch.

Cheer

Back